Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A different take on the marriage issue

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Smeg Head, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Smeg Head

Smeg Head IncGamers Member

A different take on the marriage issue

I come across an interesting point just a moment ago on www.camedwards.com - a blog I read every weekday.

If people are going to say that *** marriage is ok, then what's wrong with incestual marriage? Genetics? People with genetic problems aren't prohibited from marrying and having kids.

It's an interesting point. The *** community says homosexuality is genetic. And incest is illegal for both moral and genetic reasons. The same argument is used against *** marriage.

To keep it in context, I'm against both *** & incestual marriage. For all the usual reasons.

2. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

Stupid question : But doesn't getting married negate the incest problem, or anything else that would have been seen as "illegal"?

3. toader

toader Banned

LOL...funny.
    "well, it WAS incest till me and my sister got married, but now that were husband and wife its legal"

haha...too funny.

4. Damascus

Damascus IncGamers Member

You've made a good case (ok im lying) on why incestual marriages shouldn't be allowed. But what does that have to do with homosexual marriages? By that logic, heterosexual marriages shouldn't be allowed because of incest.

And these genetic reasons are? And they equate to homosexuals how...? Incest is illegal for the sake of children born between them, however champions of banning *** marriages are quick to point out they can't have children.

5. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

Cool site, lol:

6. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

Haha, so I guess that's a no then. I think I had read somewhere that once you get married, you couldn't be... let's say arrested for incest, or arrested for underage relationships? Like... 21yrs and 16yrs? Wrong?

7. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

I could care less who wants to marry who/what/how many. If a brother and sister want to marry, let them. It doesn't affect me any. There will be gross, ugly people even without relatives boinking each other. It's none of my business. Besides, *** marraiges actually help slow down the population explosion by the inability to breed so that could even be a good thing, to a small extent anyway.

If a man wants to marry another man, fine. if a woman wants to marry her horse, fine. If a brother wants to marry his sister/cousin/uncle/whatever, fine. My personal principles are that this choice is not for people outside the "marraige". If I think it's gross (and I DO), then that is my own problem and I'll just look the other way. It isn't fair for me to change someone elses life because I'm insecure about something that doesn't even have to do with me one bit. That's just being selfish.

8. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Dogs can't give consent.

Smeg, incest is harmful on a genetic level because it produces potentially deformed and disabled offspring. Homosexuality has no such negative effects.

What business is it of yours what other people do in the bedroom? Why do you even care?

9. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

I don't have a problem with incest, assuming the relationship isn't fertile. Myself, I think it's rather distasteful. But Trudeau said that the government has no place in the bedrooms of the people, and he was right. Animals are a different story. They can't give consent.

And what is the link between homosexuality, incest, and bestiality beyond the fact that they all make you feel icky? A visceral reaction is no justification for law, as Dworkin wrote.

10. Smeg Head

Smeg Head IncGamers Member

I don't care what people do in their bedrooms. Want to get freaky with a goat, three midgets and a jar of pickled herring? Go right ahead. Sell the photos too and make some money while you're at it.

Mainly I'm trying to stir up another heated debate. I'm interested in what Anyee has to say about this.

11. guspasho

guspasho IncGamers Member

Citation, please. Really any *** person agreeing with you (that the *** community thinks homosexuality is genetic, not specifically that homosexuality is genetic) will do.

12. Plum

Plum IncGamers Member

In an extremely general sense, the "*** community" says that homosexuality isn't a choice. There's quite a difference between that claim and stating that it's based on genetics.

13. Technetium

Technetium IncGamers Member

Although I think it is gross, I do not believe that incest, or incestual marriages, should be illegal.

That answered your question! :p

14. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

Still, teh *** community says what they wants, but it isnt genetic...
    It is all psychological, you dont get born ***, you become it...
    Whole nature vs nurture, and for homosexuals, it is nurture

And no, there should be no incestual marriages...it still will happen, but i think humans are messed up enough w/out tons of new genetic problems coming on...inbreeding leads to mutations and weakening of genes

15. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Haha, choogy, wow, are you the world's expert? There is no definitive evidence on the nature vs nurture debate yet. In fact, last I heard, they were leaning towards the standard "little bit of both" answer.

16. Plum

Plum IncGamers Member

How can you possibly know this? If you can provide some reasoning, you'll have fulfilled the concerns of countless people around the world who are still attempting to come to a conclusion on the subject.

That's a fairly risky argument. Prevention of genetic faults is a highly controversial subject, since it bridges into rather questionable techniques such as sterilization and genetic "cleansing" and whatnot. Far more genetic defects would be prevented by either technique in comparison to preventing incestual marriages, but the former two concepts are usually severely frowned upon.

17. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

So is it completely fine how muslims pick husbands for their daughters, giving them no choice, and whenever possible, it is thier first cousin? Thats how they do it in Saudi Arabia. NOOO nothign wrong with that at all, afterall, the Arabs are without question the most earthly and enlightened of all peoples; worthy of our understanding and compliance...

18. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Better watch it nnndave. Your unbridled contempt for other cultures almost shone through :rolleyes:

19. Plum

Plum IncGamers Member

Dave, what exactly are you talking about?

20. Damascus

Damascus IncGamers Member

"People in another country do this, so we can do this to *** people!"

That has to be, by far, the dumbest argument I've heard so far.