Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A different kind of story

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by TEB-Bird, Mar 3, 2004.

1. TEB-Bird

TEB-Bird IncGamers Member

A different kind of story

So I've decided to play a bit of x-pac. I see this game up "my forge for diablo quest" or something like that. I join it and do the guys quest, and I tell him. Hey man look you don't have to give me your forge just don't take my drop when I kill diablo thats all I ask. And he was like cool np. So anyway we get to chatting and he offers to give me a vamp gaze for helping him do the quest, like we are still reasoning through the price of my help. I just lol at him, and he finally realizes I'm helping him for free. " So are you gona give me items after wards?" I say " No". He asks " Why not?..........I suck I need items"

So I suggest he get off his rear end and get some items like I did. He is like ok. So I ask him, where you really gona give someone your forge for rushing you or just scam them? He tells me he was gona " scam the druid"( trying to say he had no intension of scamming me I guess) someone else who had offered to rush him I guess.
    Anyway diablo spawns, I wear him down ( playing one of my weaker sorcs) and I tele out of the way of his flame wave so that when diablo dies this fellow happens to be standing closer to diablo than I am. Now I'm pretty quick on my feet. But I see that ring lay on the ground and I just stay where I am to see what he does.......to see what happens.
    The ring just sat there for what seemed like an eternity to me anyway. Long enough for me to begin to try and build up some hope in humanity in my mind. Bust just as quickly he snatches the ring up.
    He grabbed it and I guess since I never tried to go for it he assumed that I never saw the ring hit the ground, automatically voicing that " sigons dropped"

I ask him, I just asked one thing of you to be honest? At this point he tells me that a unique ring dropped and he took it, and its an soj. I remind him that I'm not exactly sure that he is being entirely honest.....since he had promised to not take my drop, but at any rate I gave him my account if he ever needed help again, and tossed some items his way and asked him to be honest to others in the future

2. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

Bird, you are a better man than me.

First thing I would have done is get his account name with the /whois, and then made it my mission to track him down and obtain his ear, or PA him in a game with a different char on another account to bad TP him.

Of course, that would be within the first 24 hours, after which, I would probably cool down and forget about it and go about my business.

Make it a habit tho of getting right up on Big D by tele right before he dies, tho. Everyone steals drops, it's like everyone's favorite pasttime to just piss everyone off.

3. äger

äger IncGamers Member

You gave him more than he deserved. Let him learn the hard way - through an unsafe tp. You can still do it. :grrr:

But maybe your tactics work better in the long run. :)

4. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Bad TPs dont come from guys like Bird and myself to those that are just stupid, they have to be malisious butt heads!

Actuallly, I dont know if would/could drop a bad TP for the maker of all the hacks in the world. It just isnt my style because if I cant take him down staring him straight in the eyes it just isnt satisfying!

5. äger

äger IncGamers Member

Point taken, Stinger. If I had any PK skills to show of, that would be to prefer.
    But I wouldn't lose sleep over it, if I had to end his existence in a less honoralbe way.

6. TEB-Bird

~.~

The whole point was to let it sit on the ground and see if he would take it sort of. A man once said.......If you loan a man twenty dollars and you never see him again........it was worth it.......Conner if your reading this I'd like to trade for an ani, if we work something out I'll drop first ;).

Bird

7. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

I say you should not have made a big deal out of it (not saying you did) and just left the guy. To give him items seems like a mistake, he doesnt strike me, from what i heard, as the kind of guy who would take your actions, however honorable, to heart, my guess is he will go:
    "wow! Look at this, i break promises and take drops from people being nice to me, and i get doublly (spelling... sorry) rewarded for it! awesome!"

Just my $.02.

-Matt

8. Spero

Spero IncGamers Member

Wow, the way you tell the story, it's as if you weren't even mad! I'm impressed.

I like the saying about the $20, that's a really good way to think about it. I'll have to remember that in the future. Seems like a good life-lesson.

Thank you.

9. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

I have a saying also.

If ya loan a long time "best friend" $3500 and you never hear from him again, consider it a piss poor gamble!

Btw, I no long have any "long term best friends" as they all seemed to have a limit and IMO there is no limit so they can burn in Hell!

10. The big "T"

The big "T" IncGamers Member

Props to bird

You saw it coming (the poach). You even dangled the carrot (waiting to see), and you still gave the guy gear. That's about as altruistic as you can get. Yeah the guy (i'm assuming male) may repeat the offense and continue to be yet another one of those people that I often grow tired of on Bnet. At least you can claim that you aren't.

Last night I helped a guy with NM Diablo. He grabbed a few flawless gems and jewels here and there, but everytime a unique dropped he stepped away (I didn't even have to ask). I walked out with Jalal's and a decent paly shield. I let him keep the Aldurs mace and a few other items. That one pleasant run made-up for the 4 or 5 less then pleasant runs I did this week.

11. TEB-Bird

quick clarification

Don't read into this too much. I am by no means a good person. You can ask a lot of people on here. I'm a pretty big jerk on many occasions. But for some reason, and you can ask stinger about this. I have this less than logical tendancy that comes over me at truely bizzare and un-explanable times where I feel the need to act hospitably towards players with " noobish" tendancies and give them more chances than most would consider warrinted.

Probably because deep inside me I wish that my stats professor would give me half credit on a problem even when he has made it pretty clear he will only give full credit or no credit :). Some people tend to act in ways that they would wish others to treat them. Maybe it changes people......more than likely it doesn't, but in the end I really just do it for me.

Its also a nice reminder to me that humanity is definately scum on the whole lol ( will always have a hard time understanding how people can believe in secular humanism)

Bird

12. TEB-Bird

oh ya and

Sting I wouldn't ever loan you 35k.........well I don't have 35k to my name :D
    But I wouldn't mind keeping in touch with you for a while your a cool guy 8D

Bird

13. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

Well like I said, I would only be mad for 24 hours, then I'd probably be cool about it.

It's just a game after all, but even sometimes revenge is a dish best served cold, regardless of the method (except using hacks to accomplish it).

14. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

I wouldnt ask a friend for a lone of any magnitude......I dont feel well when i "owe". I tend to pay cash for mast everything, or when charged its paid off every billing.

It pisses me off to have to "owe" on a house but how the hell else you get one wihtout winning the lottery!

I lease my Truck.......its not like I "owe" I rent it!!! So they can just repo it if **** hits the fan.

I couldnt fathon the summation of loans I have given in my lifetime that have gone unpaid. I am just to much of a freaking softy and have had too many "less fotunate" friends.........God my X-Fiance who I have know since I was 14, now 35 still trys to bum a lone here and there!

Ah screw it, I am just too kind hearted and paying the price for my tonger viscious acts towards my brother and other poor souls! I use to be a thug that would just as soon splatter your face on the concrete than look at you!

I also cant fathom the so callled riches I have given away in this game. Hell it makes me feel good to do it and I play this game to feel good so it all works.

15. Panders

Panders IncGamers Member

I hear you about the softy part, Stinger.

I used to be a total pushover when it came to "loaning" so called friends money. I finally realized how stupid it was when one of them actually STOLE $5 from me. Now, $5 is nothing, I would have given it to them in a second. But after the fact of giving them so much money over the time I've known them to just have them steal from me, blah. That woke me up real good.

16. CookiesnCream

CookiesnCream IncGamers Member

Yeah I'm with Matt ont his one, you shouldn't have given him those items. I myself am a newbie at hardcore and I appreciated items that people are kind enough to give me, but I don't treat people like that. He was also obviously gonna scam you for hellforge if you were gonna rush him for it. He lied about the sigons dropping so he isn't really an honorable person.

17. Mr.Bogohossian

Mr.Bogohossian Banned

a different kind of story... not really. these things happens everyday. when you do a rush with strangers, there are 1/4 chance that you will get scammed, based on my experience. i rush about 20 people a day.

18. TEB-Bird

Of course he wasn't an honorable person, of course he was scamming for a rush. And he obviously didn't deserve anything I gave him......Now granted I have a lot of flaws, and I realize that. But every now and then I regain some sense of who I should be, or what I should be like. And I think the people who are the least honorable and the most messed up are the ones who probably have the most to learn......and in a way different than many people are probably thinking......they need more help. But not the kind of help you may be thinking of.
    I think in an age of mass media and in your face promotions, there is a kind of shock value that is still left. An un-desirved act of kindness. Sure he probably didn't get the lesson......he won't change, and will probably forget all about it tomarrow......But he may ask why. And next time he is scamming someone he may pause and ask why again. And you never really know what could happen ;)

The different part of the story wasn't that he scammed me. It was that I chose to be ' cool ' to him anyway and ignore that. Not because I'm a good guy, but rather because for a split second I was able to realize that it didn't matter and maybe there is something more important to focus on in a situation like that.....

19. TEB-Bird

Oh ya and

hey stinger, I don't like to owe people things either ^ ^ .... ;)

20. Haplon

Haplon IncGamers Member

If you think about it we do not really get personally upset by someone scamming. We get upset cause we got scammed and take it as a relection of ourselves. By waiting to see if the newb would actually take it and subconciously expecting him to take you took the edge off of being ripped. Who would have thought that social experiments would be occuring in a Diablo 2 game. And yes your coolness shows as it really doesn't matter.