Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A Diamond amongst the cow pats...

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by mali, Feb 7, 2004.

1. mali

mali IncGamers Member

A Diamond amongst the cow pats...

A short anecdote, on my dueling in the sea of crap that HCL dueling has become... and how I had my belief in people renewed.

I was in a baal game, getting the quest for my soon-to-be-L50-Dueler/pkker 'EIvis' - a guy ('Seli' - a L34 Paladin) goes hostile and asks if anyone would like to duel. He's a L34 pally, so I say
    "Sure - I'll duel you with my L34 Druid if you wish, if you can wait for us to beat baal..."
    "No problem..."
    He waits, we beat baal I come back with my druid, Sharks. I ask if he'd mind looting me, in the hope that if I do get smashed, I might get my gear back. He says that this is fine, but it works both ways.
    We duel, he charges me (suprise suprise) taking all but about 50 points, WHOA - scoff a juvie - WHAM with fury... and
    Seli was slain by Sharks - (I still don't tire of reading that ;))
    Needless to say he was suprised. I looted him (ethereal steeldriver :xeek: ), and we talked as I returned his gear. He asked to see my gear (crush druid) and I showed him. It took a little while for it to sink in - how did I beat him? I pointed him towards the high CB & DS...
    Then he asked me to help him xfer gear, and we continued to chat.
    As he left, he threw out an Unid Jalal's - and said:
    "Not many people would've given my gear back - you're ok!"
    The Jalal's will look good on my new soon-to-be-L50-Dueler/pkker 'EIvis'...

*Thief- (his account name): you're ok too.

2. BreakThruX

BreakThruX IncGamers Member

Wowza, well good job then...50 damage eth steeldriver. :D

3. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

All but 50

4. BreakThruX

BreakThruX IncGamers Member

Yup, he said it only took 50 points away though so i was just mentioning how...odd? it is.

5. Spero

Spero IncGamers Member

Try reading it again. You didn't comprehend it the first time. He said it took all but 50 points. That means that he had about 50 life remaining after the hit, in case you weren't sure.

@Mali, good story! Thanks I enjoyed it.. and congrats on the ear. Sounds like a tough one to win.

6. Sip

Sip Banned

Yeah dude, try to read a little better before posting.

he said ALL BUT 50 life

this means he had only 50 life left.

7. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Nice story Mali, good to see there are still some good people pvping on the realm... you are correct, most of them are annoyingand immature, and, if given the chance, WILL steal your gear in a loot duel (i know this one from experience... grrr) Glad to see you happened upon one of the "good guys"

-Matt

8. GrnEggsNHam

GrnEggsNHam IncGamers Member

I never loot duel (well that might change if I am dueling someone from these forums) because I know the scum that sulk around in the low lvl duel games. Also how lucky you were that he did not get in a double charge, or were you backed up against something(or are you 1-handed I can't remember if you were a ribber or not)? Also Spero and Sip your posts came off as a bit arrogant("You didn't comprehend it the first time.", "try to read a little better before posting.") and really there was no need to crucify him for misreading the post lol. I mean you guys never do that to me when I don't read all the posts in a thread and what not...

9. Sip

Sip Banned

I judge all people by how they spell and their post counts.

10. Eblocher

Eblocher IncGamers Member

I r outttta luk thenn :D

Old fart signing off

11. LuckyDwarf

LuckyDwarf IncGamers Member

I must be well judged. :)

Lucky

12. Phantom_Man

Phantom_Man IncGamers Member

He wouldn't have died from a double charge anyway. He's a transformed druid.

13. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Well, i can see judging by spelling/grammer and all, but not by post count. Take, well, yourself SiP, i like you, you are a good poster here, I happen to have more than twice as many posts than you, but that doesnt mean i am twice as "good" a poster... Or does it ;) Just kidding, but i dont think post count is a fair judgement, though i agree that spelling/grammer can be a tipoff.

14. GrnEggsNHam

GrnEggsNHam IncGamers Member

By no means did I intend for this thread to strafe off in this direction... Although since it has begun I might aswell add to it :). I am sure I make my fair share of gramatical and spelling errors, am I looked down upon for mis-typeing the occasional word?

Hell I hate grammar actually, I don't even know if I use commas right! :)

15. mali

mali IncGamers Member

Not so tough, tho' a lil' scary. I only got one round of fury off to kill him, immediately after his oh-so-strong charge. 'Twas over in a second.

I'm not a Ribber. I use Whirstan's - & every L34 Ribber I've dueled, I've crushed (pun intended...).
    Tell you what was lucky - and that was that he didn't do full damage. His full damage, PvP, was around 2.2k. I woulda been toast.
    Lucky for me, I'm still here ;).

Cheers

16. Spero

Spero IncGamers Member

Yes, I deliberately was a bit harsh. I don't expect people to read all the posts in a long thread, but his were the second and fourth posts! I'm pretty sure he was just trying to poke fun at Mali, but it seemed like he also didn't even read. (edit: he didn't read even after being corrected once). I didn't look at the post count or spelling, just the content of the two posts and their relative position in the thread.

I think my post fit perfectly.

17. mali

mali IncGamers Member

yeah...

Gotta say, if it were me in BreakThruX's shoes, I would've corrected myself there - along the lines of
    (imaginary correction follows: )
    Or something to that effect.

Anyway, enough about that... it's good to know that there ARE some good 'uns out there. Amazing to kill a guy, and he's not whining or making excuses: just "wow - how'd you do that? Good duel man" - or words along those lines.

Cheers

18. Spero

Spero IncGamers Member

Yeah, that's gotta make your day. Plus he even gave you the jalal's. Pretty amazing, if you ask me. I think my next line would have been...

"Hey, you mind if I add you to my friends list?"

19. mali

mali IncGamers Member

Unfortunately, my F list is quite full. And I'll have to do some REAL soul searching to pare it down... :(

20. bhyit

bhyit IncGamers Member

As a point of interest I saw this "Seli" person in hardcore dueling game last night with his level 8x sorceress. He was apparently just watching but stepped out of town and stood there while a mercenary killed him(lag?). Visibly the biggest item he lost was Tal Rasha's Armor. He wasn't looted. However, the player that had killed him offered to do some cow games with him to help level up his then level 19 paladin.

Maybe Seli was just paying it forward?