Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A Diablo Version of the WoW Ten Year Statue?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Flux Submitted a news story

A Diablo Version of the WoW Ten Year Statue?

[caption id="attachment_382686" align="alignright" width="165"][​IMG] WoW 10 Year statue[/caption]World of Warcraft recently hit its ten year anniversary, and as a special reward Blizzard sent out commemorative sculptures of an Orc wolf-rider to players who have held an active subscription to WoW since the launch. That's apparently a fairly exclusive club; we all know that WoW has had millions of paying customers for years, but not everyone was playing from the early days, and even most long-time players have let their subscription lapse once or thrice before leaping back in when the next expansion is released.

And yeah, the statue looks pretty nice, but it's not exactly "free" -- 10 years x 12 months x $15 = $1800.

That said, it's interesting to imagine what sort of prize dedicated Diablo players might deserve for their (our?) years of devotion. Giant metal Diablo statue?

Diablo 3 has only been out for 2.5 years, but Diablo 2 is approaching its 15th anniversary since the June 2000 release, and Diablo 1 has 4 years more than that, and counting. Has anyone played D1 or D2 steadily for that long? I don't even know how you'd define "steadily" in this instance; there's nothing to verify it like an active WoW subscription, and I suspect the answer is no. Lots of players go back to D1 or D2 all the time, but hasn't everyone uninstalled the game(s) several times, or not rushed to reinstall on a new computer? Or gone a few months or years between playing, before going back in for nostalgia's sake?

Does anyone still have their earliest Diablo 1 or Diablo 2 characters? Or initial Battle.net account? Has anyone played either game regularly for 19 or 15 years? If so, what prize do you deserve?
    Continue reading the Original Story

2. Turbojugend

Turbojugend IncGamers Member

i just recently (2 months ago max.) reinstalled D1 and played about 1/4 of the game with my goal actually just being: "Aaah, fresh meat!" and nostalgizing about how spooky and gloomy and eerie and OMG graphix! 1997 was.
    Actually, I played two chars, being the warrior and a bit of the sorcerer.

Then I decided, since I am only playing hardcore since D3, to start up on D2LoD with a hc char and having never played the necromancer (ever), I went and killed him a few times and then succeeded in (currently) being in the middle of act 2.

Ah, the olden days!

I don't want a statue.
    Just revive Deckard Cain ^^o

Diablo 1st person Oculus Rift anyone? lol

3. Maclowery

Maclowery IncGamers Member

It's odd to think that I installed Diablo 1 in 1998, which means nearly half my entire life has had a Diablo game as a primary source of gaming fun. I don't want a Diablo statue, but I'd take a 10" or so reproduction of Messerschmidt's Reaver or Bonesnap.

4. Flux

Flux Administrator

I've gone back to D1 more recently than D2. D1 feels like a whole different style of play, with the much slower pace and strategic play required to survive, until you get powerful with magics, at least. D2 I feel less able to get back into since D3, since D2 feels like the same sort of faster paced, run around game, but has such a steep (slow gaining) power curve, where it's hard and slow until level 50+, especially without twinks.

The ease of early game in modern games like D3 has ruined modern players for skill or patience-required older titles.