A Debate on Friendly Fire

Razor Spine

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: A Debate on Friendly Fire

Thanks for the free flame, twat. You just proved that you'll beat a dead horse until it becomes a shapeless mass of flesh and bones, because you want the future to look just like the past. News flash buddy, but this isn't Diablo 2.5.

Nothing that we say or do here will have any bearing on the finished product, so deal with it.

niesent

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for the free flame, twat. You just proved that you'll beat a dead horse until it becomes a shapeless mass of flesh and bones, because you want the future to look just like the past. News flash buddy, but this isn't Diablo 2.5.

Nothing that we say or do here will have any bearing on the finished product, so deal with it.
quoted for truth, this carebears guy is pathetically stretching this. And to top it all off he seems just like all the other pro griefing players, delusional, immature and trollish.

These posts are proof that you haven't read a damn thing I wrote, EXCEPT the ones that I am joking. You give no intelligent feedback to the concepts of how this option will apply to the MANY people who DO want it, but instead are only trying to force your own views and opinions upon others. That's why your so adamant against options because you only want it your way, FORCED VIEWS AND FORCED OPINIONS UNTIL WE ARE LEFT WITH A BLEAK NOTHING.

Razor Spine

Diabloii.Net Member

*sigh*

To recap, I don't have A DAMN THING AGAINST PK OR PVP!

I am done with my feedback on any issue, because people will just keep to try and knock invisible holes in an argument if they try hard enough, just for argument's sake.

Forced views and forced opinions? I don't have anything against people's opinions, but discussion of a matter that has already been closed down an age past is pushing it.

What might have-beens are only fun so far as they're not anything to fucling do with WHAT HAS ALREADY BEEN RELEASED.

Then they only smack of the bitter taste of some peoples' disappointments.

I admit that I'm easily satisfied with whatever I get in a game, and more so because I play old platformers more than I do modern games nowadays. I suppose it isn't too much to ask that a discussion be done on civilized terms, but OH NOES, it'll just have to be like Marie Antoinette's attitude until she got executed, which is to say, "You may knock me down now, but I'll get the better of you somehow, no matter what you do."

Zorrah

Diabloii.Net Member

So you take my analogy, bend it to your own ideas, and THEN for a coup de grace, STILL MAKE THE SAME POINT I MADE AND MISSED IT ENTIRELY!
Except my point was that making friendly fire viable would make tanks overpowered still stands. Unless they're not, in which case no one's going to want to play a melee with friendly fire on ever. Add to the fact that I'm just referring to tanks, forget the 2 handed and dual wield barb, or worse yet, the spearazon or 2 hand paladin. Since I don't know how Diablo III is balanced yet, that makes me wonder about monks, and if there is any viable melee build outside of Monk and Barbarian and if they would still be viable in FF mode.

Edit: sorry, I shouldn't say never. There are masochists that will say I'll bet I can do it, watch.

Razor Spine

Diabloii.Net Member

Don't try and resurrect ghosts on this one, then we'll have a Wowhobbs for Diablo who specializes in nothing but FF play. [/sarcasm]

Omg... I see now what I am working with and hopefully I can clearify...

IF a barb was going to be over powered, it wouldn't be because FF, it would be because the barb is over powered.

FF OPTION merely makes it to where now players that want to use the friendly fire option have to build for the fact they will be taking more damage than players who don't use FF, NOT that by enabling FF will some how magically give your barb super powers.

@Razor Spine: You say your not against it but your against an OPTION for FF? I just don't get that logic, I don't get even why your arguing against it. I can't for the life of me understand how this option applies to you at all. This OPTION is only for those who WANT to use it, ANYONE ELSE LEAVE IT OFF AND YOU HAVE YOUR D3.

So to be against an OPTION just means that you want to force everyone to play the same, which is defeating the purpose of playing the game. We might as well just take out all other classes and let you decide what everyone's skills and weapons will be too because they are options and can effect gameplay. You know what, we should remove the option to name our games because we are playing Diablo here and it should be named thusly. NOT ONLY THAT BUT LETS, while we are at it, Remove every single customizable feature in this game because it might give someone else an advantage or disadvantage over everyone else.

I am glad I won't have to play this game with you, I bet you tell all your friends what class to make and what gear to use and tell them what skills to use and where they need to be while you play the game your way.

Zorrah

Diabloii.Net Member

So to be against an OPTION just means that you want to force everyone to play the same, which is defeating the purpose of playing the game. We might as well just take out all other classes and let you decide what everyone's skills and weapons will be too because they are options and can effect gameplay. You know what, we should remove the option to name our games because we are playing Diablo here and it should be named thusly. NOT ONLY THAT BUT LETS, while we are at it, Remove every single customizable feature in this game because it might give someone else an advantage or disadvantage over everyone else.

I am glad I won't have to play this game with you, I bet you tell all your friends what class to make and what gear to use and tell them what skills to use and where they need to be while you play the game your way.
Nah, it's alright really.

Barbarian: Damn, I'm dead again.
Wizard: Then throw on a shield and put points in vit.
Barbarian: No, I wanna chop **** in half. Watch your fire.
Wizard: No, wanna blow **** up. Don't stand in my fire.
Barbarian: Screw you.

That common if FF is in the game aside, I don't want to tell people how to play, I'm just saying there's a lot of AOE flying around in Diablo II for a FF fire environment, and yes, stacking more survivability is a viable work around, but I still want to see all the other builds just as viable. Seems there's an awful lot of AOE for that.

And on telling people how to play the game, I did have a funny story about that. I got into a WoW group as a hunter. The Tank said, put your pet away. I was like, no, I don't think so. Tank said, put your pet away. So I left.

Honestly, I am actually really upset at how I have been treated on these forums. I know you guys don't care but you have literally grieved me off of all of this. I don't care anymore. I am tired of getting mistreated because I was asking for something I loved and was passionate about and even gave reasons to why things just like this:

Wizard: No, wanna blow **** up. Don't stand in my fire.
Barbarian: Screw you.

Wouldn't ever happen. The truth, under the system I devised, it would happen more like this.

Wizard: No, Just turn off your friendly fire.
Barbarian: Oh yeah, thats better, now I am not taking damage from you anymore, he he my bad.

But forget it, I don't care, you guys win, I am tired of this crap, I give up.

Zorrah

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, first I did have you pegged as a troll and suspected sockpuppet, based on both your name, as care bear always seemed to be used as a derogatory term in WoW and because of the thread you first showed up in. Second, asking so strongly in favor of friendly fire just strikes me as so much more sinister than just asking for open pvp. Just in a "oops" sort of way, as in "oops, I hit you... (hehehe)".

MrFrye

Diabloii.Net Member

Honestly, I am actually really upset at how I have been treated on these forums. I know you guys don't care but you have literally grieved me off of all of this.
I think the number of responses demonstrates that we do care; we just disagree with you. The problem is you're not making arguments; you're making assumptions that you are certain are true, and you think anyone who disagrees with these is automatically wrong. For instance:

The truth, under the system I devised, it would happen more like this.

Wizard: No, Just turn off your friendly fire.
Barbarian: Oh yeah, thats better, now I am not taking damage from you anymore, he he my bad.
Unless you have conducted a survey of D3 gameplay with FF on (not likely), you have no way of knowing that's true. And that's the problem; You're making all of your arguments based on assumptions like this one (there are others).

For a quick summery of the counterpoints:

1) FF would be extremely disadvantageous to melee builds.
2) In any FF-enabled game, a lot of people will abuse it, and continually try to PK and/or grief other players.

You think you've been mistreated. You have that right. But unless you can demonstrate (and not just state your belief) that these two points are wrong, you should think about how you've been treating other people as well. Just because people think you're initial premise is faulty, it doesn't mean they're wrong.

I don't care anymore.
I don't think if the history of the world anyone has ever said this truthfully.

Nizaris

Clan Officer - US West Hardcore

Forum Tip #1: Do not make a username that has an inherent troll connotation. You will be treated as such.

Turnip

Diabloii.Net Member

Unless you have conducted a survey of D3 gameplay with FF on (not likely), you have no way of knowing that's true. And that's the problem; You're making all of your arguments based on assumptions like this one (there are others).

For a quick summery of the counterpoints:
1) FF would be extremely disadvantageous to melee builds.
2) In any FF-enabled game, a lot of people will abuse it, and continually try to PK and/or grief other players.

I'm sort of confused by this, why would a person join a FF enabled game if they didnt expect a little bit of this? Could they not just, you know, not join a FF enabled game? Its sort of redundant counter-points that go inline with the PVP option, if someone doesnt want pvp what exactly is forcing them to not just filter them out? It is you that is calling HIS idea stupid and useless, he doesnt really have to argue against your points as much as you argue against his, and if someone accidentally joining the wrong type of game is the best you have then its sort of just comes off as you making up any argument you can in order to disagree with his ideas. I mean the same arguement can be applied to hardcore mode, level caps, hell even the realms; its like people complaining about only playing with asian people now because they joined the asia realm simply because their was an option to choose.

Anyways can someone come up with an arguement that isnt entirely nullified by his ideas being an option and not being forced on a player, because I'd love to hear them. Call him a troll as much as you want but dont just close your minds off, it at the very least offers variety when the game gets mundane and which I'm sure a lot of people would end up messing around with despite voting No on the poll.

Sass

Diabloii.Net Member

So, the argument to add in friendly fire is to disable it...nice one.

Turnip

Diabloii.Net Member

So, the argument to add in friendly fire is to disable it...nice one.
The argument not to is because it doesn't appeal to you and therefore shouldn't be allowed for everyone, nice one.

How is it a guy named LOLcarebear is getting trolled in the first place, its rather strange. "omg LOL your idea doesnt appeal to me so it doesnt deserve to be an option, remove hardcore as well hardcore is ***! LOL".

Sass

Diabloii.Net Member

The argument not to is because it doesn't promote anything Diablo or Blizzard are going for, and never has. In other words, why add something that people (not just me) don't want only so it can be ignored?

HC doesn't kill me or kill my friends if I or they chose to use AOE (a big chunk of skills). HC doesn't limit my skill selection for the sake of MP. HC doesn't force a player to play single player.

HC has no relation to FF. Nice one.

Turnip

Diabloii.Net Member

Hardcore disallows glass cannons or other builds viable in softcore just as much as friendly fire disallows large AOE, plus you have dozens of other skills to use when you cant utilize a large aoe, you just have to be smart when to use a larger AOE.

Technically hardcore is underutilized by the general population as well, does that mean it should not exist to add a bit of variety? Or is the only reason it shouldnt exist is because you wont use it.

Kiroptus

Diabloii.Net Member

So Diablo 3 must have a big array of options of all kinds of people avaliable right? The game creation box needs like 10+ options of things that can completely modify how the game is played?

PK and Friendly fire are options that are not on blizzard's goal of design, if those were, blizzard would have tailored the game to support both options. But Diablo 3 is a game, a simple one I might add, a isometric ARPG, instanced with 4 people. You cant expect them to add "variety" on their game design just like that, its not a model that supports all kinds of features from diferent genres.