A Curiosity about B.Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty-Thirty

Diabloii.Net Member
A Curiosity about B.Net

Ahoy,

Firstly, apologies to the mods if this isn't the place, but the SPF seems knowledgable about the subject.

Having never played B.Net, I only know about the dupedness (of runes in particular) through what I read here. I understand how runes (or anything, really) can be duped in open games, but how is it possible on the Realms or Ladder? I'm curious to find out.

30-30

Kool69

Diabloii.Net Member
Thirty-Thirty said:
Ahoy,

Firstly, apologies to the mods if this isn't the place, but the SPF seems knowledgable about the subject.

Having never played B.Net, I only know about the dupedness (of runes in particular) through what I read here. I understand how runes (or anything, really) can be duped in open games, but how is it possible on the Realms or Ladder? I'm curious to find out.

30-30
To go by the masses you drop your item somewhere in act 1 town and then press shift + f1 through f8 :rolleyes:

I don't know how it really works but it involves tricking the game somehow with just exitting without saving or something. I dunno I've never even tried because its just stupid. :p Find your own r00ns is what I say.

cft

Diabloii.Net Member
While I do not know the actual means, I believe I can explain very loosly how it happens.

In very general term, the battle.net servers communicate with the player's copy of the games. Anything that the servers's programs do cannot be messed with, as the server code is protected.

But for effeciency reasons, the server programs do not do everything.

If the server relys on the players copy of the game to display the map, with the appropriate parts hidden, then a hacked copy of the players copy of the game can instead show the complete map.

Likewise, if the server relys on the player's copy of the game to generate the random items that drop when a monster dies or a chest dies, then a hacked version would be able to make every item drop be a SoJ.

Since this doesn't exist (to my limited knowledge), I would guess that the server decides which items are dropped. BUT, it does seem like the server depends on the player's copy of the game to tell the server when items are needed for the drop.

So the drop hack versions of the game cheat by telling the server that lots of really high level items need to be dropped, and the server program does its job and generates random items.

From a pure security aspect, the game would run entirely on the network. That would be horriblely slow. A slightly better compromise is to have all the "guts" of the game run on the server, and the player's computer only handles the graphics and sound.

Still, that puts a heavy demand on both the server, and on the connection between the server and the player. So, even with the emphasis on secure design that the Battle.net realms had in their design, compromises had to be made to improve multiplayer performance.

I think Blizzard did a good job overall. It took hackers years of determined work before they found enough of the loopholes to really "pollute" battle.net with hacks.

AlterEgo

Diabloii.Net Member
Thirty-Thirty said:
This discussion topic is against the rules:

Please do not post links or information about hacking/warez/cheats.

I'm closing this one down.

Status
Not open for further replies.