Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A couple of sorceress orb questions

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by jiansonz, Mar 31, 2005.

1. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

A couple of sorceress orb questions

1. Crafting recipes.
    Looks like none of them work with orbs, but I want confirmition of that. Do you think that the programmers did indeed want it to not work, or might it be an oversight?

2. Runewords.
    Is there any (of the ones available in 1.10 single player) runeword that works in orbs? I know for a fact that 'Strength' does not work, because I´ve tried it. Whoop-tee-do, 7% life steal on something that hardly does any damage, and +2 mana per kill... :rant:

3. Staffmods (or, as I prefer to call them, '+ to individual skills').
    Is it item level alone that determines which types of skills that can spawn of them? Where can I find more specific information of such "breakpoints", the probabilities for 1-3 different skills, etc. Is +3 to a certain skill just as likely as +1 or +2? Are there any of the 30 individual sorcie skills that can not spawn on orbs?

4. Magic level.
    Do all of them have one, and is it +1 (like for staves and (non-elite) wands)?

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

1. They don't...Only staves. I think that it's intentional that orbs can't be used for crafting. For one they can't be in runewords too, so it's not just one mistake, and secondly they are sorceress specific items so they are "special" enough. It is also one of the few reasons for using a staff (Leaf runeword comes to mind).

2. No...Why would you put strength in an orb?? and then complain about lousy stats afterwards:)

3. your best bet is RTB:)

4. All of them have one...the rest I don't know about.

What is this for??

3. jiansonz

The orb had some good +skills that my sorcie didn´t have, and I was hoping for +20 STR, 20% Crushing Blow and +10 VIT...Now I only got what the runes themselves gave me (hence the complaining). The runeword information I had available said that this runeword works in 'any melee weapon'. Apparently not.

I am attempting to play with the build that was used in the Mastery Sorc tournament (SP Forum). Skill points may only be put in Warmth and the three Masteries, so all the skills I want to actually use (other than Attack and Throw) must come from the gear.

EDIT: I found out from good ol´ d2data.net that the runeword Venom (and no other) works in orbs. Hmm, not a bad prospect, actually. Two drawbacks:
    1. Only the slowest orbs can have 3 sockets.
    2. I´ve only seen one Mal ever, so it´s highly unlikely that I´ll be able to make it, and if I do it will probably be very late in the game.

4. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Sorceress orbs are not melee weapons...otherwise they'd be fine to use in runewords...This is of course according to the games definition of melee, but I personally wouldn't consider it a melee weapon either.

sorry for my hasty reply...I just checked and Venom is indeed possible...too bad you're not 1.09 then you could have made Black/Steel and King's Grace much better than Venom and easier to find...For Gods sake try playing twinked:) Other runewords would have been possible if Orbs could have more sockets...Breath Of The Dying for example:)

1. Try to get some crushing blow from gear instead...I think a faster orb with some crushing blow (Goblin Toe) would be more effective than Venom. Wouldn't it be supersweet to shop for one of those superhigh elemental damage orb/wands you can easily get at vendors.
    2. Play twinked:) come over to the dark side....

This seems like a strange tournament unless you have something like a Kingslayer weapon...does mastery work with elemental charms??

5. jiansonz

Goblin Toe, Rattlecage and Guillaume´s Face are all high on my wish list, certainly. Like I usually do, I´ll go with as much MF as I can find and dare to use. I won´t "run" bosses either, I am totally against that. Everything dies once.

A Strength staff (with some key skills) is a possibilty.

Lots of shopping for high elemental damage wands (and even staves with good skills) will probably be done.

I will reroll orbs with gems quite a bit. As soon as I have the Horadric cube, there is a chance to score a Static/Fiery orb, with nice +skills and socket(s) as bonus. It will be cool to have something to do with all those chippies that wouldn´t be worth much anyway. I mean, 27 chippies of a certain gem type can be turned into one flawless gem OR be used for 9 orb rerollings. :) Higher QLVL orbs from later in the game can get higher elemental damage affixes.

Nope. Then the game would hardly interest me at all. Besides, my brain wouldn´t be able to handle all the possibilities that would open up. I have enough decisions to make with my current playstyle.

Yes (it´s the same as with all other elemental damage from gear), but unfortunately only in melee. As for charms, I doubt that I will be able to fit in much elemental damage here, though. My sorcs usually need plenty of resist and +life charms (then again, with luck you can get BOTH elemental damage and +life on a charm).

As I see it, this tournament (in the late game) is all about being the best possible assistant to your merc, and that is a gameplay I truly love!

BTW, what´s a Kingslayer?...ah, a runeword that uses four rare runes. Looks nice. Highly unlikely, but with extreme luck, why not?

6. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Ilvl is the only thing (well, almost) that matters. You can read about breakpoints and all at Uzziah's guide. All sorc skills can spawn.

All orbs have magic_lvl 1.