Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A Couple of Questions

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Sevendust24, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Sevendust24

Sevendust24 IncGamers Member

A Couple of Questions

I just beat the game in normal difficulty level using a Barbarian. I am now currently playing in the Nightmare Level.

Question 1 - It seems like it shouldn't be that hard, even at an increased difficulty level, to kill some of the lower level monsters. I have two jemmed axes and us the double swing 100% of the time. My Ratings are high 1500ish and my weapons damages are 78-114, and 69-109. Most of this comming, I would believe, from socketed Emeralds for Poision damage. I also have Set Item Boots that gives me 3-6 damage on fire....had a 12+ Poision belt (Unique Item) but it was a light belt and it could not carry enough potion, so I got rid of it. Is it just that tough to kill the monsters, are my weapons a little on the weak side or what? I gamble alot for War Axes, Axes, Military picks, and none of them compare to my gemmed Items...This is for Regular Diablo 2, v1.10, NOT the expansion.

Question 2 - Should I be playing with the Expansion or should I just keep playing the regular version...I have not played with any other character except Barbarian, and quite frankly, cannot imagine playing with any other character...the Double Swing is so fast & efficient...cannot imagine surviving some of the situations I have been in with a slow swinging Pauldin or an Amazonian or Nec or Sorc...Your opinion would be appreciated.

Question 3 - My Barbarian that I am currently Playing with is Level 30. Strength is at 80, Dext is about 70, Life is about 75 and Mana is low...probably under 20 (dont really need it, especially now that my Double Swing is at a level (12 I think) where it no longer costs me any mana). My Skills are mostly Double Swing, some (4) Bash (for the bonus damage to Double Swing), Axe Mastery of 11, and the Skin one at level 4...No Warcries! What, if anything, should I be doing with my Skill Tree Points in the future.

Thanks!

2. Snatchxx

Snatchxx IncGamers Member

u say ur lvl 30? it seems just a little low expecially since u dont have the uber items, i myself DO recommend expansion, but thats just imo, hmmm.... if u play on-line, u should try playing a sorc or a zon or something, barbs are fun, but the makers made more characters so u could try them all, i would recommend warcries such as battle orders, im not big on barbs, so mabye sum1 can help u there, but yea, try expansion, some new chars, and stay in norm for just a little longer to be able to rase a few lvls.

3. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

Also, at level 30, you should be using Frenzy, not Double Swing. Once you get to high levels in Frenzy, it's faster and adds a good amount of damage.

Since the Frenzy speed lasts for 6 seconds after the last frenzy hit, you could switch to double swing while you're Frenzied and swing incredibly fast.

Just remember, DS doesn't add damage, only Attack Rating.

4. Sevendust24

If I install the expansion set, will it ruin my characters or will they be saved. I wanted to try and play online, and the version of my software went from 1.03 to 1.10 and it totally affected my characters weapons, armor, etc...for the worse, so I am a little weary. Maybe I will install it after I am done with my Barb...then I can try new characters...The Assassin looks really cool, as does the Darwin....I think that is what it is.

5. Gorny

Gorny Banned

1.03 ?? Where have you been, young padawan!?? What Darwin? You mean Druid?

6. Sevendust24

LOL....I got the game as a gift for Christmas...I got the Box set, which came with DI, D2, the Expansion Disk and the Strategy Guide. I played D1 First (by the way, cannot figure out how to play on a higher difficulty level...maybe I need to load a more current version/patch for the software). After I beat D1 twice, I wanted to try DII. It wasnt until I wanted to try and play online that I realized how old my version was...Yes I know this game has been out for awhile, but I am really boared with the types of games that are coming out now (First Person Shooters, for example) that I decided to "look back" for some highly recognized games in the past...Diablo was one that came up on many lists...And yes I meant Druid. This is the Neubie forum, right ;)

7. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

Installing the expansion won't effect the Barb you already made....

When you upgrade to expansion, it'll give you the option (At any time) to convert your Classic (Non-Expansion Chars) to Expansion chars.... Just don't do it with your Barb or he'll be considerably weaker.

Those weapons just seem weak to me....

The Paladin with Zeal actually attacks very quickly and has the use of a shield... The Amazon And Sorceress that you mentioned are ranged characters and have an advantage because their not as close to the action.

Install the Expansion... You'll still be able to make Classic chars when you feel like it. (Just have to Check/Uncheck a box when creating a character)

As for the Barbs Skill Points. Battle Orders. It's a Life Saver. I'd also suggest 1 in Berzerk for Physical Immunes you'll meet later.

8. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Welcome!
    You play on higher difficulty levels by beating the difficulty level before. Either by killing Diablo in classis, or killing Baal in The Expansion. You can do this regardless of version, though the ppatches(past & current are very different then your version.

On another note, you picked a good time to come in there is a lot to do......

9. Bullet-Tooth Tony

Bullet-Tooth Tony IncGamers Member

About spoiling characters by installing Expansion/different patches: if you're afraid of your chars being ruined for some technical reason, remember, that you can backup your character files in other directory. Every *.d2s file in your <diablo2 folder>\saves\ folder is a character. Other files in that folder are not necessary to be copied.
    About your damage being too low: almost every melee characters must use skills that give a DAMAGE bonus on it. Double swing doesn't add any damage: just attack rating.
    What is Attack Rating for? You don't always hit the monster, when you try, you have a so-called CHANCE-TO-HIT. CTH is calculated using attacker's level, target's level, attacker's Attack Rating, target's Defence Rating. You can see your CTH against the last monster you fought by pointing at Attack rating field in your character screen. As well as last monster's chance to hit you, pointing at a field with your defense rating. When you have CTH more than 75%, it's not wise to invest heavily in pure Attack Rating. You will lose resources (stat and skill points) you could put in damage-increasing skills.
    But if you're playing 1.10, your points in Double swing are not lost, because Frenzy skill gets a damage bonus for each point you put in (but not in +skill items) DS. So, I would recommend switching to Frenzy and pumping it. You will do much more damage, though it'll be a bit slower. Too bad for your points in bash, you should have better spent in a weapon mastery (choose 1 weapon). No warcries? That's a very bad idea. Get Battle Orders at maximum (L20), every barb must have it! Also in Nightmare you will probably need Taunt (1 point enough) to make shooters come to you (they are very dangerous later in the game, beleive me), Battle Cry (usually against champions/uniques/bosses - to reduce their damage).

10. Dogboy

Dogboy IncGamers Member

You also said most of your damage is from poison. Poison takes some time to do its full damage. I think every time you hit, the poison counter resets,stopping your last hit from doing full damage. I like topaz in low lvl melee-it slows them down and they hit me much less often.

11. Aegon

Aegon IncGamers Member

SAPPHIRES, my friend! use sapphires in weapons to slow folks down.

Save those lovely Topazes for armor and helms! :D

12. corndog420

corndog420 IncGamers Member

alainpp66: Where do you post most often? I only ask because your post count is so high, and every time I read one of your posts, it is concise and informative.

/will go search for posts by author, so my question is rhetorical, I guess. I meant something more like :worship:

13. patheticloser

patheticloser IncGamers Member

In my opinon (IMO) The great part about D2 is that with so many characters, and so many skills, you can play for a very long time and not grow tired. I have for example created throwing barbs, one and two handed barbes. Ax barbs, sword barbs, and mace barbs. I have yet to try spear/polearm barbs. One day I am going to make a Hammer barb and max the leap attack skill. (I plan on jumping around and saying "Stop! HAMMER TIME!" a lot) You cold build a bone necromancer, a summon necromancer, or a poison necromancer. Or any hybrid combination of the two. I have had great luck with a javelin amazon, and before the 1.10 patch came out the bow amazon ruled!

Before you install the expansion I recomend you build a corpse explosion (CE)necromancer. In the early days of the game (version 1.03 I think) one maxed out CE could level an entire map.

You should install the expansion, if for nothing else the increased stash. You will also have access to much more powrfull mercenaries.

Wait untill you have more experience before messing with posin damage. It is very slow to kill and takes a lot of patience.