Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A couple of MF sorc questions

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Useratuaer, May 22, 2005.

1. Useratuaer

Useratuaer IncGamers Member

A couple of MF sorc questions

Ok ive been wanting to make a Magic Find sorc for awhile now and have been collecting items for that. I wanted to know a good cheap way to get 400+ mf thats not too expensive. So far heres what I have
    Tals Armor/w P topaz
    Tals Belt
    Tals Amulet
    Chance Guards
    Shako/w P topaz

So I was wondering what other items I could use that arent way expensive (ive heard of people using Tancreds boots and amulet to get 78 Magic find bonus)

Also I want my sorc to be able to do solo Meph runs in hell, around lvl 82-86 what build is best for this?

2. stkrause

stkrause IncGamers Member

Gull dagger + Splendor shield on switch. Gives 120% MF :thumbsup:
    I like my blizzard sorc for this. She kills Mephi in just no time.

*stkrause

3. Rehsa

Rehsa IncGamers Member

tal armour + tal ammy = 2x um

i consider cheap being under 80 pgems...

shako is comewhat cheap... there is a unique helm that give like 40+ to magic find, then do a p.topaz to get about 78% magic find if you can't afford a shako with p.topaz. it also has life leech, thus making it good for even a merc for magic find.

war travs are a little spendy, otherwise some magic find boots (rare even) can work out well.

chance guards are quite cheap

occy is quite cheap depending on what realm

ali-baba is also quite cheap

gold wrap is cheap

malgibara shield is cheap, but not that great, but it has 30% magic find

any magic find ammy

nagel rings x2

armour can be anything cheap with a p.topaz (some people use gris armour since it has 3 sockets). i use a 34 res vipermagi with a p.topaz

as for builds... meteor/orb can do quite well... many people do a blizzard sorc for meph and things... problem with blizzard is you're most likely going to be 1 tree with minor anything else. while meteor/orb is more versitile in hell.

still, getting to act 5 hell for pindle as well is pretty immpossible solo if you don't already have great gear.

4. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

Don't get discouraged if you can't reach 400 with good killing power, either. Anything north of 200 will show pretty good results for running bosses.

EDIT: Don't forget charms, either. A mid-range Gheed's isn't that expensive, and you can get 4-5% mfsc s reasonably as well.

5. Useratuaer

Well so far as of today I have

Tals armor/w P topaz
    Tals belt
    Tals Ammy
    Shako/w P topaz
    Gull
    Milabregas shield
    45 War Travs
    Chance Guards

And Im still confused about what to put skills into that would make it safe for soloing meph in hell, I was thinking either orb/thunderstorm or meteor/orb.

6. stkrause

stkrause IncGamers Member

I din't think orb/thunderstorm will kill him really fast. My choice is blizzard, that kills him near instantly. If you want a backup skill for cold immunes, take firewall.

Meteor/Orb would be another probability, but i don't like the delay of meteor ;)

*stkrause

7. yxx

yxx IncGamers Member

i use blizzard with tal set, tapzed helm and armor

+ rhythm sheild + War travs + 2 nagel + Chance + Gheeds more than 400MF.

The good thing from tal set is the resistance, you are much safer. Almost never die. I can kill baal without any problem.

except 25 mf, rhythm sheild has "can not frozen" feature which is really good.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BUT, I think the best MF is to do some business with other people.

Some people are so rich, they just don't care.

8. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

If you can't afford the War Travs, just gamble for 25-35% MF Boots. You can get the same with gloves if you have a weaker pair of Chance Guards. You can also put MF gear on your merc and have him land the killing blow to combine his MF with yours. (He has to get the kill though. It doesn't work in reverse).

Also, if you're having trouble surviving with MF gear, there is always socketable searching. I personally think Sorcs are one of the less ideal MFers in Hell but they sound good for Meph runs.

9. Useratuaer

I keep hearing people tell me what to get over and over again, They should re-read my above posts. I already Have 45% travs, I already have Shako, I already have tals armor and ammy. Please read my post through before you post something.

Ok with that being said I got my sorc to lvl 71(enough to wear all my gear) and I decided to try mephisto on nightmare, not as easy as I thought I can beat him ok but not without several trips to Ormus to refill my health and mana. I made her meteor/orb but I think shes kinda weak should I remake her and if so how should I build her? (Anything besides Blizzard ive made a ton of those sorcs and im tired of making them.)

10. TemplarRoadkill

TemplarRoadkill IncGamers Member

I recently made my first sorc specially for Meph runs and she wear this:

shako Ptopazed
    skulders Ptopazed
    lidless Ptopazed
    Occulus, gull on switch
    War travels 35%
    snowclash (i hve tal's belt but not ammy.. waiting to get one before equip it)nagel 29%, SoJ
    and a rare 35% MF ammy

this is pretty cheap build, it took 2days (occasional playing) 83 lvl but i made a HUGE mistake: I maxed Blizzard n Ice bolt and i can kill Mephisto in 5-7 blizz BUT: forgot that Durance3 hve those cold immunity darklords(?) and kinda make it hard to mf there =P well i tryed that first time at 74 and from that on i hve put all points in fireball n fire masterity.. well maybe soon i'll can MF there w no prob cox with the moat trick meph is a piece of cake.. the minions, well..

11. Useratuaer

Ive been hearing about this moat trick how do you pull it off?

12. Rehsa

Rehsa IncGamers Member

moat trick...

once you enter durance lvl 3

teleport upper left of screen. You should be able to avoid all the counsil people. you should have avoided the right room and middle red portal this way.

if you tele right, you should be safe

here is a small diagram (bad)(periods = walking/red space) (#'s = where you teleport) (R)=red portal.... | and _ ='s wall areas

_______________........_____......________|
    ..........X.|..................|......|....................|.......
    .........__|.............3....|.....|2............1.....|....... YOU START HERE
    ...............................|.....|________.......|.......
    ..................................................|......|.......
    .......(M)........4.................._______|......|.......
    .................................(R)|...........................
    ...........__........Y...............|_______|......|.......
    .............|..............5...|__________|......|.......
    .............|................6|.......7................|.......
    ................................|_.....___________|.......
    ................................|.........................|.......
    ..........................................................|____

point 1 -4 = easy to understand
    point 5-6 = the stairs right near the lava (not the red portal stairs). get to the corner of the stairs away from the red portal.
    7 is the tricky part. if you position 6 correctly, (and are using full screen at 800x600 resolution) then you wanna teleport to:

there is a gargoyle who holds onto your mana in the bottom right of your screen. if you positioned the stairs #6 correctly, if you teleport to EXACTLY the tip of the gargoyles finger or wing or whatever makes that circle area. if you are right there, you should barely be able to see the flicker of the flames shadow in the bottom right of your screen.

meph should be stuck, unable to attack you in any way at point 6 where you teleported from. Now from here, blizzard away, or meteor away.

THIS TRICK DOES NOT WORK WITH FROZEN ORB

sometimes the counsil IF they spawn right in the middle area CAN see you... which means you move over a little bit.
    sometimes the single counsil memberto the left may see you. if you can kill him, do so

if you can't avoid the counsil members, lure meph to get stuck at point "X" where he get's wedged, and stand at approximately point "y" to kill him.

13. humbertomm

humbertomm IncGamers Member

Hi,

My Sorc MF Setup:

Tal´s Armor
    Tal´s Ammy
    Tal´s Belt
    Shako (Ist)
    Chance Guard
    War Travs
    AliBaba (2xIst)
    rhythm sheild
    Nagel and Prysmatic
    Gheeds (found in Tranvical Run 40mf)
    Some scmf

My total mf now is arround 620%

Rgds.

14. yelopen

yelopen IncGamers Member

well i think maybe you should get...

Weapon
    Oculus (isted if you feel like it)

Helm
    Shako w/ptopaz

Armor
    Tal w/ptopaz

Gloves
    PChanceys (or however much mf you can get)

Boots
    PWar Travs (or however much mf you can get)

Ammy
    I would use tal so you don't do like 0 damage

Rings
    2 pnagels

Shield
    Don't matter whatever is fine

the key to better mf is weapon switch

here is what you should have on wep switch:

gull dagger (100 mf)
    rhyme(25 mf) or splendor (20 mf)

its your choice
    rhyme has 25 mf and 25 resist all
    splendor has 20 mf, 10 fcr, and 1 to skills

but if you want even more mf, you can resort to less resist, less defense, more-risk-of-dying items such as skullders

and of course get as many mf scs as you can :)

15. Rehsa

Rehsa IncGamers Member

get a max socket shield... 4 or 6 sockets, don't remember... and ist it away, :p but it's not cheap -_-

BTW... how was my maot trick drawing?

16. Useratuaer

Wonderfull.

17. TCaptain

TCaptain IncGamers Member

I truly love how someone w/ all these good items can be so ignorant as to how truly dumb it is to have over 500 mf...
    ok people, heres a basic breakdown of how mf works... once you get over 100% mf, the chance of getting magic items rather than getting unique items is higher per point(%)... so once u start hording mf, your actually working against yourself in your quest for those godly unique items...
    now... ive seen many diff suggestions, and only 1 is right, get full tals, simple as that... all u need is 1 ist rune and ur set... you get nice plus skills, very nice resists, and its semi cheap compared to wasting ists in an alibaba *AH HM* now veteran mfers can enjoy such things as ptoped armor and helm, faceted orb, upped perfect chancies, war travs, perfect nagel, and the sort, also getting a gull dagger on switch does no lower the mf that comes w. full tal, so u can easily get over 400 mf, but not much over... ok then, dont waste valuable runes and other items trying to get mf gear, so u can find more stuff... i mean, think about it. go logical...
    PS.. 350-450 is preferred mf, just to get it out there

18. yelopen

yelopen IncGamers Member

Tcaptain...your crazy

in mf terms, magic items include set, unique, rare items as well... :cool:
    if you don't believe me, take this link to arreat summit and read the section on the page that says "What exactly are magic items"

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/magic/magicfind.shtml

you got served!

19. TCaptain

TCaptain IncGamers Member

Too bad that page has been up since 1.07.... 1057 mf was achieavable only w/ iths... now what does that tell you? stay up to date man...

20. yelopen

yelopen IncGamers Member

i don't think if the website has been up since 1.07 has changed the fact that magic items include set, unique, and rare items too

i wasn't arguing about 1157 mf, i was talking about your explanation taht you would get more magic items (wich don't includ just the blue ones)

please read the post more carefully when you make your decision to talk about irrelevant details