Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A common realm?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Matt, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

A common realm?

Next ladder season, we should play on a common realm... These things are hard to organize, but its worth a shot right? I'm not too big into the whole organization part, but I am open to switching to any realm, now, theres about a third of us on east, a third on Europe and a third on west, there are some really great seeming people on each realm, but I for one never really get to know them because we can never play together.

I dont care what realm it would be, I would prefer east, just because its what I play now, but of course everyone will have similar feelings, but really, most of my friends are from these forums, so if some of us all went to a given realm to play, it seems like it would be a great community to play in.

Anyone else agree? disagree? comments? Its just an idea, not like a questing group or anything, just a lot of us going to one realm, so we would have a good group of trustworthy friendly people to play with, who we would know already somewhat from the forums. Just leave your comments or whatever here...

-Matt

2. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Could start off in Asia, tag all our chars with HCF (HardCoreForum) and give it a go!

But on a more serious note, if it was SC this might be a very good and doable idéa. But since it's not, and ping/lag have an impact on HC playability, I think people will hesitate. Maybe not so much because ping/lag will kill you, more kind of disturb the general flow of play, getting black walls too often, having to exit the game et.c., spoiling the fun :)

But it will interesting to see what other people think of this idéa :)

/Magnus

3. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Thats a good point... I've never really played on other realms for more than 5-10 minutes, so I'm not familiar with how much lag there is, is it bad? If it really does effect playing, then lets all just play east ;)

-Matt

4. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Hahaha...
    I'm not really sure either. I have almost exclusively played on Europe. With the servers stationed in Sweden (where I live), broad band at home et.c. I can't complain ;)

But when I started playing online 2-3 years ago I was in New Zealand, trying out the Asian Realm. And then I had too much lag for HC to be enjoyable, so I know that feeling. Since then, many things might have changed so how it is today I don't know?

Input from europeans playing the East Realm or vice versa would be appreciated, or West of course :)

/Magnus

edit:OMG I must be the EVIL HAXXOR now, look at my post count 66. :lol:

5. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

I think its time for Mn_Swe3 ;)

Hmm... Maybe Mali would know? He went East -> Asia, Or Terry Manning, i know he played some East a while back in .09, now hes on west... anyone else do that? If you have done that, let us know how it is! If its not too bad, i would be more than willing to go to Europe, though i dont know any german, spanish, swedish french etc...

-Matt

6. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Puhhh... now I'm not the Evil HaXXor any more :p

Hehe, don't worry about the languages. Even when I play with fellow swedes it feels weird to speak swedish on battle.net, so we often use english anyway :)

/Magnus

edit: A more concerning question might be whether you can find proper hell games according to your time zone as most games are going on weekday evenings and weekends (all day?)

I don't play weekday nights, so I don't know how it is then?

7. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

Matt; English is the generally used language on EU.

I, just like Mn_swe2, see the problems of such an endeavour. Still it's a good idea. I'll just say that EU is by far the least blood-thirsty realm of the three mentioned. I buy carnage jewels form Akara, pick up ID'd Sharps and green Set boots in the cow lvl all the time. "No one" is interested in PvP and the PvP gear is EXTREMELY cheap compared to the other realms.

So, for those who'd like to still their never-ending blood-thirst, EU is the realm if you want to swtich. Just see that you have the PING for it.

8. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

wow, I'm there no matter what next season! Sounds like my kinda place! I'm as close to Europe as one can be in the states... Far northeast, I suppose that will help a little with my connection, hopefully it will all work out, all the Europe pvmers had better expect some bloodshed next season ;), though im sure they already do with Magnus around, also Barry wa on Europe if I'm not mistaken... DoB, you pvp too right?

-Matt

9. doubleOObubble

"DoB, you pvp too right?"

No. I used to do some PKK (got 15 ears or so), but I can't bring myself to hostile people, and how much I'd like to duel, all the duping/MH pisses me off.

I did duel some in ISFC and won 13 out of 13 matches. I had a great char though, no doubt about that. I did fight Tecira and as she has turned out as she has, I don't feel like holding back on the fact that she was far from "all that" as a dueler, as opposed to what everyone seem/seemed to think. Just another example of people worshiping names instead of characters :lol:.

10. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

You and tec dont get along? Oh, i could have sworn i heard about you pking, must be thinking of someone else.. Who are some well known pks/pvpers on Europe? I know...
    Magnus, Barry (well not anymore) Tec, hmmmmm..... cant think of anymore off the top of my head, though i know there are more... fill me in!

-Matt

11. doubleOObubble

No, it's not about getting along. It's about her joining the stupid clan a while back. Personally, I don't care about such soap, it's just that I would simply not have told anything about her dueling skills if it would tarnish her reputation here. But as there is nothing to tarnish... You get me :)

Anyway, I'd really like to try some public dueling, but it's not going to happen until they get rid of all the hacks, so ... never then.

12. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

I see, I see. As for public dueling, besides pking, I usually public duel. I agree, sometimes it is just plain stupid, filled to the brim with the idiots from battle.net, but other times, it is a LOT of fun! I find that its a good variety, sometimes its people who are not so skilled at dueling, and they are easy kills, sometimes its people with their 72 mf sorc who insist on attacking my level 30 as i leave town, then falling in 2 hits (yes, that happened) and sometimes it is people who really are good duelers, and a blast to play with! I find its good to keep a looter in the game if you do get killed lamely, which happens occasionally, or in a duel, because either way, chances are, you wont see your gear again if you let the victor loot it.

Just learn to avoid the morons, ignore them, and its actually pretty fun!

-Matt

13. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

honestly, in my opinion, that "stupid clan" that we're not mentioning has become (less of a d2 clan and) more of a large group of players playing together in small random groups rather casually... not that different from a gat. Sure, it has its fair share of former members from that other clan who can be obnoxious, but it also has its fair share of good people who enjoy playing together. And it seems that most of the first group aren't playing d2 anymore, while the ones from the 2nd group that are still playing are cool people with whom i've enjoyed playing the few times i've played with them (like Tec).

note- i don't pvp at all, so i have no clue as to who is uber leet and all (and don't really care) :lol:

as for the realm thing, it would be a fun idea- it seems there are a lot of people here i respect and would enjoy playing with, but don't due to realm differences. even though i'm on east, i'd say east would probably be the worst choice just on sheer numbers of obnoxious other people (though more targets for you pkers i guess :p )

14. HR-Tecira

HR-Tecira IncGamers Member

I never claimed to be the best dueler ;). I just do a decent job esp with characters with adequate but not outstanding gear. My mentors from HR and BtK are who I look up to as duelers (Dutch, Solwolf, Rachelene, Lothae, etc)

Yea, I know my overall rep is messed up now due to the company I chose to keep. Even if I could change that there is not much to go back for since most of the people I knew and played with back in 1.09 have moved on to other games.

I now have a lot of new friends and in the CDC side of things I think that many would be happy with the coop environment we have. The other group is the one most have problems with and I will leave it at that.

As far as cross realm experience goes. I have lived in various places in the US while playing on both the east and west realms back in 1.09. Typically the realm that was not the right one for me ran about 50-100 ping higher.

If I went to Europe or Asia that number would go up. In both Europe and Asia I ran at about 300-600 ping most of the time. In Europe I seemed to have a higher tendancy to have days where I would run over 1k ping. (At the time I messed around on those realms I was living in Southern California.

On the East I typically run from around 70 to 150 ping to give a start point. (I have DSL as my connection here and when I was living in Ca I had Cable)