A blast from the past

Lord_Vega

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Hello fellow D2 single players!

I have been a member of the SPF since about 2001, though I haven't really played D2 in well over 5-6 years now.

Thought about getting back into it, but unsure what is the best way to get about it.. I read the stickies, and still not sure which muling program do you guys use mainly these days?

Should I just install the game and LoD and run the latest patch, then install ATMA and RWM, perhaps the glide fix too?

Don't really want more than just being able to play through the game again as optimally as possible another time, before we get some interesting news at Blizzcon in a couple of months' time ;)

Thanks in advance, and if anyone remembers ol' Vega... hope you are all doing fine, ol' timers!

Lord_Vega

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Will do, thanks for the tip! ATMA might be old, but hey, so am I, hehe.

How about the glider? I don't seem to see the video test exe in the folder anymore, but maybe it was applied anyways.
And the RWM, the same as it was all those years ago?

Thanks btw!

Lord_Vega

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
I think I got the RWM working, though it seems that with 1.14 the video test executable is gone, so I have no idea how to change Direct3D to glide with the wrapper.. will check out that Tech Support Thread again in hope I can make it work.

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. It definitely has been a while ;)

Albatross

Diabloii.Net Member
Hello and welcome back!

RWM should work like before, can you run the wrapper and change stuff normally? Try changing something very noticeable, like playing in windowed mode, then add -3dfx to the shortcut's target field (the same place -direct and -txt for RWM go).

Does the game start windowed?

Lord_Vega

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Hello and welcome back!

RWM should work like before, can you run the wrapper and change stuff normally? Try changing something very noticeable, like playing in windowed mode, then add -3dfx to the shortcut's target field (the same place -direct and -txt for RWM go).

Does the game start windowed?
I managed to activate the glide wrapper as you have said, though it seems to run just as well in fullscreen for me. Either way, smooth as butter, thanks!

RWM runs flawlessly as well, just as it did back in the day! Only thing I need to sort out now is the Muling situation. Was a huge fan of Hakai's back in the day, but it seems eMule is the way to go. Will have to read more about it.

Level 16 sorcie up and running, and I feel 15 years younger :p

What's up TopHatCat! Thanks!

Albatross

Diabloii.Net Member
It just occured to me that if you are playing in 1.14 you my need to edit the registry to get things working right. They moved the save files to a write protected directory, in an 'effort' to break mods/hacks/bots on b.net
I think that's optional, if you want to move your save files where they used to be. They are located somewhere in users/you/saved games/ now.

I managed to activate the glide wrapper as you have said, though it seems to run just as well in fullscreen for me. Either way, smooth as butter, thanks!

RWM runs flawlessly as well, just as it did back in the day! Only thing I need to sort out now is the Muling situation. Was a huge fan of Hakai's back in the day, but it seems eMule is the way to go. Will have to read more about it.

Level 16 sorcie up and running, and I feel 15 years younger :p

What's up TopHatCat! Thanks!
Glad you can fully enjoy the game. You'll get used to GoMule, because it is an improvement over ATMA, but if you really want to, there should be a version of ATMA which works with the current patch. The main issue were essences which came with 1.13.

WilsonFisk

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
As a fellow player from WAY back who just came back to the game, welcome back! I'm new to the forums, but I have someone to be an old n00b with now! :D

Neksja

Diabloii.Net Member
Hey, a name I remember! Welcome back Vega!

May I suggest joining the craziness of Untwinked 99er "tournament" we have going on? If not joining, give it a read, some of the all time best stuff in that thread if you ask me!

Albatross

Diabloii.Net Member
@zemaj It didn't come off as snarky :)

All users (system, me, admin (me again)), have "full control" checked under permissions for the saved games folder. Since I'm running GoMule it should have permissions to change the contents, besides I've never had issues with it without changing anything in the registry.

Hacks might work differently and have some issues with accessing and modifying those files, but I can't see why wouldn't the authors of such programs just bypass the security. After all, it's the user who's running these on their own machine and should be able to grant permissions.

I'm also guessing, so don't take any of it for granted. It's also possible that there's something different if you upgrade from 1.13 because I did start from there and then had to reload my characters into GoMule once they were moved to a different directory.

PSYCHO

Diabloii.Net Member
Sup, Vegs? I just returned a week or two ago too!

I second the advice about GoMule - just trust us, you're in for a better environment with it.

I'm not sure what the Glide Wrapper does, I'm going to have to look into that.