Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A bit of sobering news

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Anyee, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

A bit of sobering news

If you look over at the sister site of DII.net, Warcraftiii.net, you'll see that they are closing up shop very soon. The first reason for closing is "lack of support from the community," i.e. cash flow nonexistance.

Guys, we already know how expensive it is to keep the sites up and running: over 3000 a month shouldered mostly by Rush, Elly, Gaile, and OneMadOgre. They've tried ads and pop-ups, but both don't work anymore thanks to blocking software.

I'd hate to see these sites go. My love of TDL is a big reason, but the OTF is a home as well. Somehow, the 40,000 or so people who visit this site regularly need to scrape together 3000 a month or else we'll be gone too. Look deep in your hearts, and wallets, and figure out what you can do.

2. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

While I agree that everyone should donate, I think that warcraft 3 is much less popular than diablo 2, so clearly they have less community there. I could be wrong, but thats my theory.

[hypnotism] Donate to diabloii.net. Donate much. Donate often. [/hypnotism]

3. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Can't... resist... pirate hat...

4. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

They've been in a spot for awhile now, and I wanted to help, but I don't have a job or a paypal account or I'd dish out the money, since I consume more bandwidth than most, I SWEAR that if I get a job, I will donate

5. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

Maybe if we all stop posting, the site costs will drop? :xsnow:

6. Black_Dog

Black_Dog IncGamers Member

I donate what i can... and that isn't much
    i work at McD's... 6.50/hr
    after i get my new job, i'll donate at least $10/month

7. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

It all makes sense now.

(You cannot resist the pirate hat of sexiness +3 to swashbuckling +2 to loot and plundering.)

8. thejdawg2

thejdawg2 IncGamers Member

Maybe I'll start donating again. Depends on how kind Uncle Sam is to me on my refund. I've seen plenty of bronze Lincolns, silver Roosevelts, Washingtons, and Jeffersons, but they never seem to be green. :-/

9. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Doesn't one need a credit card to open a Paypal account? That is the only thing that has kept me from donating directly to this site. Maybe I'll just have to break down and get one. I've been using this site for 3 years and if it closed down, I would truly be sad.

For as long as I've been around here I've been hunting and clicking the pop-ups and banner ads like a madman. I know it's not much help, but that's really been the only way for me to contribute. :(

I can't believe I'm considering getting a credit card just to donate to this site ... :eek: Am I in love or just crazy?!

10. Cain

Cain IncGamers Member

I'd love to donate, but right now money's kind of tight while in school. Perhaps once I graduate and have a job. Hopefully this site can hold out until then.

Side note: As wonderful as this site may be, the info especially regarding items is extremely out of date and therefore reduces the number of visitors. After all, who want's incorrect information? Perhaps if some updating was happening then they'd get more traffice which would mean more cash from advertisers.

11. SomeCanadianGuy

SomeCanadianGuy IncGamers Member

Get a credit card company to sned me a credit card and I'll donate my *** off. If they took cheques or money orders, I'd send one in.

12. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Maybe someone who is trustworthy can get a po box and make the donations for those who don't have a credit card. That way those with no credit card could send a check or money order. If everyone who posts donates $2.00 or $3.00 a month, that would sure help out. Mandatory donations if you want to acess the site would be a good idea as well.

13. 1SG Bowie

1SG Bowie IncGamers Member

I would love for there to be some way that something like this could be done.

Quite frankly I feel somewhat guilty that I can not give something back to a site that has given me so much for so long.

14. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

I think what is important is those who CAN donate, should. Even if the number of people who can donate is ONE FOURTH the total membership, that's still 10,000 people. If all of those people only donated $1 per month, this site would have more than enough revenue to keep going.

It really is sad that a site with such a large membership and community family can't come up with enough money to keep the site alive we all frequent so much.

I mean come on, who doens't have $1 a month they could do without? That's two bloody sodas, not even if you buy it from a theater.

I for one will continue to do my part and donate, several times what is required of each person able to donate because I love this site, especially the OT forum which has been a home of sorts to me for almost 2 years now.

I beg all of you to do the same, remember, it's only $1 a month, over the course of the year that's barely the amount you spend going to one movie. The money is there people, so get off your asses and stop taking advantage of this place, you have no idea what these people do to keep this site going.

I for one am so grateful to Rush, Elly, Gaile and Ogre. This site and it's forums made many a 12 hour night shifts tolerable and has brought several cherished friends and aquaintances into my life.

EDIT:

If there is enough interest and enough people are willing to anty up, I am more than happy to get a PO Box that people can send donations to. I will make the donations through pay pal on their behalf as soon as their check has been sent, so long as I have the person's word it's on the way.

If anyone else wants to team up with me, we can get one going overseas somewhere so our european and asian friends can help out as well. I'm more than happy to do this if enough interest in donating is there.

15. Ifrit18

Ifrit18 Banned

I could donate $5-10 bucks a month. :/ Not working right now but I do have some money.

16. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

How much are the bandwidth/colo costs for this site? How much does this site pay to use the (one) server that they don't own?

Also, what's the average daily or monthly bandwidth rpgforums.net goes through?

17. Lone_C

Lone_C IncGamers Member

Like you said, $1 a month is pretty insignificant when you think about it. I'm donating $1.50 a month as of now, and I plan on continuing when my first payment runs dry. Even though I didn't post for several months, it's nice to know that my donation was still helping keep it alive for the many others that enjoy these great forums.

With that said, everyone go out and donate :xirish:

18. magnawiz

magnawiz IncGamers Member

why even consider donating foro a bunch of jerks

19. Lone_C

Lone_C IncGamers Member

Why post here if we're a bunch of 'jerks'?

20. thejdawg2

thejdawg2 IncGamers Member

Well, I donated. This guilt trip worked quite well. ;)

How I do become a PAL now? I did it a long time ago, but I've forgotten.