Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A beary good idea?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Still-Xey-Lover, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Still-Xey-Lover

Still-Xey-Lover IncGamers Member

A beary good idea?

Ever since my WWS strafer got tppked in norm baals. (@ level 31 by a 95 fire sorc btw, i was typing and she got me then :D ) I can't get the idea of a good mauler out of my head. My last coldsteel one sucked, and i'm unsure whether to take that root again. The only choice left would be a level 29 6 shael'd crystal sword mauler :D. I'm guessing the skills would be 1 pt werebear, max maul, rest in lycan. Whether to use oak or HoW i'm unsure. In addition to my question about oak + how i wondering if this build would be effective, and about the level /item setup.

Helm for level 29: +3 maul drood helm(preferably + to lycan/werebear for life/dmg)
    Wep for level 29: 6 shael crystal sword
    Shield for level 29+: AToD or rhyme grim shield
    Jewelry: angelics
    Boots: sanders?
    gloves: bloodfists fo sho?!?
    belt: deaths sash if using an AToD, 24 fhr life/str/nice modded belt if using rhyme

Although most duelers i do not see using cold dmg. Pricewise, i have 3 ists and a java skiller to blow, and the only expensive stuff is AToD, charms and maybe a few jewels. So i'm hoping ill be able to get charms, unlike for my level 39 >.<. I didn't mention an armor because i'm not sure whether to go to level 30 for an artisans of squid, or just use a high defense eth armor and take advantage of the defense bonus of bears. I have a 340 defense artisans chaos armor of squid that could be used, but the str requirement is 140 or so. Okay well thanks in advance for constructive comments. Btw i am still open to ideas for a level 34 coldsteel mauler, but i don't know how to get it to work in a more secks way.

2. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

I like the title :)

As for some equipment choices:
    I dont have a CLUE as to IAS needs of a mauler, but you might conscider working around that. For example... does bloodfist give you enough IAS, or should you look into deaths combo. The deaths combo would allow you to use an AToD, which I think is the route I'd go... (lose fhr and 40 life on bloodfists, but thats really about all you lose, and you gain 3 sockets+blocking in the shield, and 20% IAS more on belt/gloves)
    So, My next thought would be, on armors, you might conscider a twitch... I've never made a mauler, so I'm brainstorming here, but +blocking would surely help, you gain 20 stats, and IAS if you need it... Of course, socketed with a +max jewel.

So basically, I'd go either string/bloodfists or deaths, and Twitch or 60 max armor, depending on IAS needs, though I heavily lean towards the deaths, as it lets you use an AToD as well.

Boots, yeah, sanders would be my top choice by far.

Charms, as usual, a mix of smalls of sustinence and sharp grands, make sure you have cold damage somewhere.

I imagine you will be packing HUGE life, and probably wont die unless you really try to, and that you will not do all THAT much damage, though you'll do it really fast.

3. Still-Xey-Lover

I hate to bash your post, but outside ias doesnt affect maul, only ias on the weapon. If that was the case, gogo eth steel + ias armor :D Ive seen a level 29 mauler, i forget his acct name. It was a while ago but he had about the same gear i mentioned and he killed a charger >.< With that insane speed + cold dmg a charger would be frozen + being hit after hit. Especially those 2 handers. With max block this bear is pretty damn strong. The only downsides are fairly low dmg because you need a fast wep, bears have low FHR, and being frozen means GG for the poor bear. Without CB + DS id be in trouble but at level 29/30 i bet i could get most of those pesky chickening chargers. Unless they think im a level 30 tornado druid, those are NASTY.

Hehe thanks for the appraisal on my leet name for the thread. I try ;)

Also, would using a merc be bad manners? I heard helz talking about some cool idea with combining stun + a killing merc. I was thinking an insight partizan or something would do the trick.

4. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

*cough*PK Guide*cough*

5. BuiltTOKill

BuiltTOKill Banned

Mercs, bad manners?? never use in the same sentence. If someoen crys about your mercenary simply ask them how much of a diffrence it really makes after they are dead ;)

6. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Ahh, I'm on a roll of saying stupid things this week, first about GA+pierce, then about this outside IAS working on Maul, sorry about that...

Thats pretty much what my now dead 30 sorcy was... you'd be surprised how many people dont have CBF, so I opted for frost nova over plain nova, though if I did it again, I'd put a point into nova for the stun, and tele+frost nova+nova's for stun. On non teleing builds, mercs cant do much except provide auras until they die, they wont go toe to toe with a dueler, they'll land 1hit, then be toast, and if you cant control their movement, they'll waddle over and be dead before they start attacking...

-Matt

7. Still-Xey-Lover

Instead of bladebuckle + rhyme shield, i think deaths sash + atod would give me more dmg while taking away some life + fhr. Ill have to keep looking around and experimenting. Baranor, your opinion, along with everyone else's opinion, is greatly apreciated on this stuffs. thanks again

8. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Personally, I think if you're not using Fireclaws on a Bear, you're wasting your time. Maulers are poo... more power to you if you can prove me wrong, though.

I do like the stun+merc idea though. While they're busy trying to get unstunlocked (new word I just made up) your dude waddles up and pokes their ear off. 'Insight' might be too obvious... do you still have that eth 'Honor' Lance?

9. LuckyDwarf

LuckyDwarf IncGamers Member

First off, I love the thread title. ;)

Just to offer experience with my 29 when I had mine up and running. These were my dueling statistics...

Duels won: A lot.
    Duels lost: Three times.
    Ears: 5
    Dropped my ear: 0

By the way, the duels I lost were to the same person, who was a very skilled dueler. He beat me with a very nice charger, but couldn't kill me. Still, I couldn't really touch him.

All in all, the 29 bear is a fun dueling build just because you don't really see many of them anymore, or at all, for that matter.

Lucky

10. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

what sort of life did you have lucky? With good charms, I'm guessing one of these bears could easily break 2k, probably more...

-Matt

11. Still-Xey-Lover

Fireclaws at that level would have like 600 dmg, which could be dangerous if the opponent didn't have much fire res. I don't have the lance still, but they cost 1 ist according to everyone in the trade channel so i could get one easily. What gear did you use lucky, most duelers dont even have cold dmg (the nub pubbers) but incase they do ill need cannot be frozen >.<

12. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Well, about the lance, its valued at ist, but the problem is finding someone who has one who is willing to trade it for its actual value, the things are rare enough this could be difficult.

-Matt

13. Still-Xey-Lover

Well when you rejoin games the meditation aura usually wont go off on insight, or something like that. But when i had it on a merc it didnt show when i joined duel games, i had to take it off and put it back again to activate the aura. An insight partizan would still do good dmg...right?

14. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Insight's aura will always be on unless the merc dies and you ressurect him. Switching games doesnt effect it at all.

-Matt

15. LuckyDwarf

This was my gear as best as I can remember.

+45 max +3 WB +2 Maul or Lycan, something like that Druid Helm
    +48 or +49 max Artisan's Mage Plate of the Something Life Oriented. (Mammoth I think)
    6xShael ethereal Dim Blade
    Rhyme Grim Shield
    Bladebuckle
    Bloodfist
    Angelic Jewelery
    Sander's Riprap

But here's the thing, while this gear is pretty much standard, it was my charms that won it. I had numerous dex/max and str/max, and even a couple life/max on him. I really maxed it out, but ended up with lower life than is possible. Because I got the hang of juving well, one of the most important hardcore dueling skills, I felt more comfortable going with higher damage and lower life. I ditched 15 lifers for 6 max larges, etc.

Xey-Lubba, are you on Europe? If so I believe I have an eth honor superior lance.. the superior is something like 9% ed or something. It's nice and for trade, or perhaps for some moderately decent east gear or something.

Lucky

16. Still-Xey-Lover

Sorry, apparently my acct expired, even though its not true that i wasnt on it for 90 days. So im back to east. I think ill go AToD to get max amount of dmg, and maybe a deaths sash. Most duelers dont even use cold damage anymore so i could probably go without a deaths sash, but i guess i dont wanna risk it :(.

BTW whered you get that nasty helm? I have a +2 maul +2 HoW around but its not nearly as nice as yours. and did you use oak or HoW? thanks again

17. LuckyDwarf

I used oak, but it wasn't at an amazing level. I wanted more damage, since I felt comfortable with lower life.

Lucky

18. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

Why go high lvl oak ?
    If they have half a brain they'd one-hit it anyway...

If you want them to waste that one hit, a lvl 1 would do just fine.

19. Still-Xey-Lover

Mmm i might consider using HoW. Also, did you alternate between WB and Lycan for more dmg? Just out of curiosity :D

20. ADSL

ADSL IncGamers Member

I build one earliere this ladder, retired him due to lack of killing power. he pushed around 200 pvp per hit @ 5 fps (when maul was fully charged), but with a very low minimum dmg.

If i ever rebuild him i will probaly use 10*10max grands, 9* 15life sc's, and use HoW over oak, since any dueler with ½ a brain will kill the oak first. and if you use oak you easily get to the point where you think you depend on it.

i would use the almost the setup lucky list, but i would pick goblin toe over sanders.

Also Aerath did you ever finished your project with the 29 mauler?