Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A, B, or C :D

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ZeppelinAngel, Mar 17, 2004.

1. ZeppelinAngel

ZeppelinAngel IncGamers Member

A, B, or C :D

Alrighty, I might be starting school in the fall, and I was considering (lightly) getting a laptop

In case it matters, here are the subjects I would take throughout the year:

Semester I-

Anatomy and physiology
    Medical terminology
    Massage I
    Semester II-

Expository writing
    Massage II
    Nutrition
    Semester III-

Business management
    Massage III
    General psychology

I am not sure whether these classes will require a ton of writing/note taking, so if I was going to get a laptop, I’d try out the first month or two of classes without one, to see if I really need one or not, because if I do get one I’ll have to pay for it myself, and it will take a lot of patience for me to save that much, so I don’t want to even bother unless I’m dying without one (which I don’t think I will, but still)
    I’ll tell you the brand names later, although you may be able to figure it out anyway

Specimen A-

1 year warranty
    XP home edition
    Silver casing (in case you actually care)
    Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with HT Technology 3.2GHz 800MHz FSB w/ 512KB Cache
    SiS648FX + SiS963L AGP8X Chipset motherboard
    512MB DDR pc-2700 1x512 so-DIMM memory
    NVIDIA FX go5600 Module with 128MB DDR video card
    SoundBlaster pro compatible 3D audio sound card
    Hitachi 60GB 7200 RPM ATA100 with 8MB Cache hard drive
    24x10x24 CD-RW / 8X DVD Combo w/Software
    Integrated 10/100Mb Ethernet NIC
    56K Modem with V.92 Technology

Final Price: $2,383 or $71 a month assuming you’re approved for financing
    My pros: Looks absolutely awesome (yes I know, so shallow), good to play the occasional game on

My cons: quite pricey

Specimen B:

Black casing
    Pentium®M Processor,1.7GHz,15.4 in UltraSharp™ Wide Screen XGA
    Xp home edition
    512MB,DDR,333MHz 1 Dimm
    64MB NVIDIA® GeForceTM FX Go5200 Go
    24X CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive with Sonic RecordNow
    FREE 60GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive Upgrade
    1 Year Limited Warranty plus 1 Year Mail-In Service
    6 Months America Online Internet Access Included
    Intel® PRO/Wireless 2100 WLAN (802.11b, 11Mbps) miniPCI Card
    Productivity Pack including WordPerfect® and Money
    McAfee Security Center w/ VirusScan, Firewall and Privacy, 90-day trial

Final Price: $1,823 or $55/month assuming you’re approved for financing
    My Pros: not as expensive

My Cons: Not as aesthetically pleasing (I’m a girl, what can I say?)

Specimen C:

I wonder what kind this could be?!?!?! Anyway:

Silver casing
    640MB DDR266 SDRAM (128MB built-in & 512MB SO-DIMM)
    40GB Ultra ATA drive
    Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
    Keyboard/Mac OS X - U.S. English
    12-inch TFT XGA display
    800MHz PowerPC G4
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memory

Final Price: $1,274 or $28/month with financing
    My Pros: Seems to look nice, much less expensive than A and B

My cons: Seems to be lacking the most in the performance area, I have never used this computer or OS in my LIFE I am a total apple n00b, I’ve touched one… once in my life :eek:

I think I included everything needed, if you have any questions about them just ask me, sorry this is so long :D

2. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

I wouldn't buy the mac.

You should be able to find a PC laptop for under $1500.00.

3. dorcusmalorcus

dorcusmalorcus IncGamers Member

Hey Zepp, in order to assist you in your academic endeavors, I will gladly donate my time and be your lab partner for Massage I, II, III. Strictly for academic purposes, I assure you. :uhhuh:

As for the laptop, would suggest Specimen B, but upgrade to XP Pro and upgrade the productivity pack to Office. I found XP Pro a little more stable and secure than Home. The Productivity Pack is crap. Upgrading to a version of Office should get you in line with the school you're going to, in case you need to work on one of your assignments on their computers, you are compatible.

4. gismo

gismo IncGamers Member

Are you looking for a laptop just for school or one to replace your desktop? If you're looking for one just for school then I probably wouldn't get the top of the line one unless you just like giving out more money than needed. At Circuit City they have some decent laptops from the $650-$850 range right now. The ones I looked at had 2.3-2.8ghz, 40-60gb HDs, wireless, and all that good nonsense. That's just a thought.

Anakha you can catch your breath now. :uhhuh:

5. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

Based solely on the choices you presented, I'd go with Specimen A and upgrade it to Windows XP Professional Edition.

6. toader

toader Banned

Zep Sweety, You need to let us do your computer shopping for you. Those 3 you listed are HUGELY overpriced.

This is just a quickie look-up I did here. This page shows a few examples, all of which are heads above any of the products you listed, most for under 1000 dollars. Granted, you would not get a warranty with these, but I think warranties suck anyways :)

Check these out, do some browsing around, you can customize most of the ones here to add or take off what you need or dont need.

Cheaper and Better is always good

7. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Yeah, at college, you really really need Office XP. And if you plug into the university network, you're going to want Windows XP Pro because of the added networking protection. Since you are a student, you can get decently cheap copies of both XP pro and Office XP. There's a student version for each one. I believe the student version of Office XP runs for 200 bucks while the retail is like 600 or something. At least, that's what I think it was at Staples.

I'd go without the preinstalled software. Do you really want AOL already installed on your laptop before you buy it? *Shivers*

You probably know how to take care of a computer well enough to not need the warranty either. Something else to consider, as gismo mentioned, is wireless. Does the campus you are going to have a wireless connection anywhere on campus? Because then I would definitely get a laptop.

8. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

Agreed, those laptops are all overpriced. There are ALWAYS much cheaper ways to go when it comes to computers.

9. ZeppelinAngel

all computers made by specimen A's company are horrendously expensive as is :)

10. publius

publius IncGamers Member

Don't let the mHz rating on the last one fool you, keep in mind the actual clock speed for G4s are faster than that of the Pentiums, so despite having a higher megahertz rating, they even out in the end.

Contrary to what most people think, there is Office out for OS X, and since it is essentially an OS with a FreeBSD foundation, it is pretty secure, especially considering all the viruses out there for Windows.

11. toader

toader Banned

Its because they have VAIO written on the front. Noone else can do this as of yet. ;)

12. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Remember that if you finance a computer, you'll probably still be paying for it when its far beyond its prime. Don't ever consider the "per month" cost when purchasing anything--look at the bottom line--that's what's important.

Oh, and I wouldn't be surprised if these companies took you for a ride on the interest.

13. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

Have you checked out any Centrino laptops?

I hear that they are very good on power consumption, speed, have wireless networking as standard and all that lark. You may even be able to go somewhere and grab a educational discount.

Of those you listed I would say #A, but really I am the anti-laptop :D

14. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Go with the Mac. I am going to play fan-boy here just because I have seen some nasty networking problems at universities even with XP Pro. As said the clock speed with balance out. As for not knowing the OS you will get used to it quickly if you are used to windows. The big difference is that your dock hides by default. Not to mention Office is out for OSX and is EXACTLY the same except this version doesn't want to quit every other sentence. Not to mention Macs get all that nice free software =) . Oh and just in case you haven't notice you can use a multi-button mouse. . . Oh and all you will have to do to get on the network is either plug in or do two clicks to change to the right wireless network. . . and that can even be set up to be automatic.

ZS, face it you just like Alienware. If I am not mistaken that was the Sentia/Area 51(The 51 sucks at like 10lb and the Sentia is just awesome because it is meant for graphics)

{KOW}:cheese:

15. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

What? I'm confused. Why am I suddenly in this conversation?

I've just been staring at this quote for the last ten minutes trying to remember when the last time I heard that was... :whistle:

16. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Just to get this out of the way: C! C! C! C! C! C!

If you want to play a variety of games, A or B will work better than C.

If you want to write papers and surf the net for research, any of them will work (although C will require you to drop more money on MS Office if you want to use that instead of AppleWorks).

If you want to take the machine to class and take notes there, C is your only option. It will own the other two in terms of ruggedness and battery power. I got a few of those for my company, and we get five hours easily without a charge; and the thing can stand being tossed into a backpack and lugged around campus for months on end.

If you're interested in using this thing away from wall power for long periods of time, but you'd rather stick with Windows, you should look into Centrino models. There's no reason to buy a monster gaming machine like your model A (that thing has got to weigh what? eight pounds?) if you're going to be unhappy with its one-hour battery life, and there are nice machines out there that will give you a full day of note-taking and cafe-latte-sipping power if you're willing to settle for less horsepower.

In closing, let me just say C! C! C! C! C!

EDIT: Do NOT go for the financing deals available directly from Apple if you buy that third one. Putting the machine on a credit card and paying credit-card interest will be cheaper than that. If your school offers some sort of financing help then use it instead, but in general it's best to stay faaaar away from the "help" that the manufacturers themselves will offer you in that department.

17. ZeppelinAngel

well, i do love windows (for some odd reason), and i've never used a mac os in my life as i said..

i think specimen A, made by alienware, weighs in at about.. 7 lbs

specimen B is a dell

i think i'm so attracted to the alienware just cause it's plain badass, everything about it is IMO, but i don't really need such a beast to take notes and do skool work on i suppose :)

edit: durf can you pleaseeeeeeeeee put my new pics up, i gave you a cookie and everything :(

18. DurfBarian

Sorry! I have a bunch of pics to do but they are on different computers right now. Today I get to go home early (well, earlier than the 12:30 I was here until last night) so I will have time to get everything on one machine and do the updates . . . sorry!

On-topic: A 7-pound computer might have killer specs and make a great desktop replacement, or a nice machine to have in a dorm room where there isn't much space for a tower and a big monitor But you don't really want to be lugging it all over campus if you're taking notes with it. It really depends on what you want to do with the machine.

19. ZeppelinAngel

*makes some time for durf* :D

anyway, i wouldn't be using it as a total replacement, but that would be the only apple i have, would that pose any difficulty if i needed something on my PC's that i have on my apple?

like i said, apple n00b

20. DurfBarian

Networking is easy Apple <--> Wintel, usually. And most programs you would use on both platforms (Word, Excel, whatever) use compatible file formats so you could do work on Windows and open the same file on Mac with no problem.

They aren't too cheap, but you should look at Toshiba's notebooks. The Portégé models are pricy but sweet-looking, and they claim over 8 hours battery life. The Tecra and Satellite models also come with good battery power and wireless stuff built in, which can be handy if your school is set up for that.