99ing a HC WW Barbarian

atomicpunk

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi folks, I'm really enjoying this forum.

Right now I'm working on 99ing a hc ww barbarian that I've played on Lan and have geared up with items from other characters. I'm not using ladder content and I'm farming RoF, Chaos, Nilh, WSKs and Throne/Baal. I just hit clvl 93 and expect to be 94 by the weekend. I made a 14ed Hellforge CoH and found a Cham earlier today in Chaos. 1 more and I'll make a eBotD Thunder Maul to complete his build then work toward an eth Doom Thresher on my Merc. I'm doing 10 minute Chaos, 3 minute Nilh and 5 minute Throne/Baal in /players 8. With the eBotD TM I should be able to cut those times in half.

Pijus

Diabloii.Net Member
eBOTD Thunder Maul will not reach maximum whirlwind speed. I think it will fall at the 6 frame breakpoint. It should still work as a weapon. On my spear barb I'm using a cruel lance with no attack speed at all. Honestly it handles act1 hell(players1) pretty good, except for mana burners.

Luhkoh

Diabloii.Net Member
Why wouldn't you use a GPA instead, or much better, shoot for dual berserker axes? What weapon are you currently using to do 5 minute baal runs? 2.5 minute p8 baal runs won't be possible with any weapon, let alone an ebotd thunder maul. Good luck!

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
Not even screenshots of the Cham drop?

How many hours you play each day, you only play this char? Do you enchant buff him?

necrolemming

Diabloii.Net Member
even if you only do perfectly short whirls to negate a botd thunder maul's inability to hit the last wsm breakpoint, double grief is still going to do more damage and be a few dozen hours faster to farm

atomicpunk

Diabloii.Net Member
Not even screenshots of the Cham drop?

How many hours you play each day, you only play this char? Do you enchant buff him?
I'll start taking screen shots. Since hitting 93 the other day I've only been playing this character. This forum and a book I'm reading inspired me to go for it. Yesterday I leveled a 1/5 of the way to 94, which only took 4 RoF, Chaos, Nilh, WSK1,2,3, and Throne/Baal runs. I sometimes enchant him with my Enchantress, but she is weak with only 33 on each skill. I've got 90% cb, 64 cs and about 6k ww damage without the enchant. Because I'm always picking up flawless gems to make perfects to roll charms I have little room in my stash so with Lan I can jump in and out of the same game to mule.

I'm going with mauls because it is my favourite weapon class, but if this goes as well as I think it is I plan on 99ing each weapon mastery over the next few years, including a throw barbarian. I'd also like to try 99ing a frenzy dagger barbarian and a blue/magic only barbarian and a yellow/rare only barbarian.

Last edited:

Jocular

Diabloii.Net Member
Are you planning to do any Travincal runs for the cham/zod to finish off your ebotd? You could try doing a few /p3 trav runs in between each new game. You said before it's boring to do the same run over and over again, but even a few trav runs in between each game rm will add up on the way to 99 imo. Could be helpful to help find some runes without making you hate trav.

Since you're going to 99 I also recommend a different base than thunder maul, but I get the favorite weapon thing.

I'm also interested as to what weapon/gear you're currently using!

atomicpunk

Diabloii.Net Member
Are you planning to do any Travincal runs for the cham/zod to finish off your ebotd? You could try doing a few /p3 trav runs in between each new game. You said before it's boring to do the same run over and over again, but even a few trav runs in between each game rm will add up on the way to 99 imo. Could be helpful to help find some runes without making you hate trav.

Since you're going to 99 I also recommend a different base than thunder maul, but I get the favorite weapon thing.

I'm also interested as to what weapon/gear you're currently using!
Why /p 3 Trav and not /p 8?

My gear is CoH, LoH, SoE, Gore, Guil, Highlords, RF (16 dex, 209ar), Rare Ring (114 ar, 18 strgth, 39life, 11 energy, 3 mana), 40cb IK Maul double Shael. On switch I have a 4 Life Tap Wand and a Sanctuary Troll's Nest. My charms are mostly lifers and a couple of shimmering. My merc has eth Treachery, Blackhorn and a Kelpie Snare with an Amn.
how? you mean effective deadly strike from deadly strike and critical strike? cs + (1-cs)*ds = 0.64? There are only a few items that gives cs
My bad, I always generalize the two, I'll try and be more accurate in my wording. I've got 64 ds from my Highlords, Gore and Guil, plus I have 30 cs from Mace Mastery. My point was that I have good odds to double my damage when I'm not hitting with cb. Plus 750% demon damage and 300% undead damage. Further more I've got -96% monster's defence from 24 on Battle Cry. On /players 8 RoF, Chaos, Nilh, WSK1,2,3 and Throne/Baal are a breeze. It will be much better when I make my eBotD TM and add CoH and Doom to my merc. My CB and demon damage will drop a bit, but my physical damage will go through the roof and my undead damage will almost double.

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
You know how drop chances varies with p-setting right? Concerning travincal, their drops are almost Maxed at p3. At p8 you Will not increase drop efficiency and their exp is not worth mentioning...

But yeah "when". Cham is very very rare... Om p3 trav the avareage drop chance on p3 is like 7.5k runs (not accounted for hoark though so about 5k runs on averahe with 50% hoark)

atomicpunk

Diabloii.Net Member
You know how drop chances varies with p-setting right? Concerning travincal, their drops are almost Maxed at p3. At p8 you Will not increase drop efficiency and their exp is not worth mentioning...

But yeah "when". Cham is very very rare... Om p3 trav the avareage drop chance on p3 is like 7.5k runs (not accounted for hoark though so about 5k runs on averahe with 50% hoark)
Yeah, I can't be bothered with an area that doesn't give me alvl 85 experience, Today on RoF I got an Ist and in WSK1 I got a Vex. Today I also got in Chaos a Mav Armour and in WSK1 an Ormus. I started taking screen shots after you mentioned it the other day, I just need to figure out how to post them. Does everyone post screen shots from their pc or from a picture hosting site?

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, I can't be bothered with an area that doesn't give me alvl 85 experience, Today on RoF I got an Ist and in WSK1 I got a Vex. Today I also got in Chaos a Mav Armour and in WSK1 an Ormus. I started taking screen shots after you mentioned it the other day, I just need to figure out how to post them. Does everyone post screen shots from their pc or from a picture hosting site?
Why not? Its more efficient to Gear Up first.

There is an icon with insert pic
You Will figure it out

atomicpunk

Diabloii.Net Member
Why not? Its more efficient to Gear Up first.
I've never complained about not being able to gear up. Keep in mind I'm good enough to not need ladder content. This particular barbarian didn't kill Andy for the first time until it was clvl 90. Getting to 90 didn't take long at all. In act 1 I got 5 of the ik pieces, LoH, Um, Mal, Ist, Vex 2x Ohm. When I left Act 1 I one passed it to Chaos then to Baal on /players 8. I'm now almost half way to clvl 94 and should be there by Friday depending on my shedual, then 95 by next Friday, maybe sooner. When I entered Hell for the first time I had max resistances and could /players 8 the whole act. You do things your way, I do things my way and keep in mind, as I've said it before, doing one area over and over again I can't do, and if I could, I wouldn't want to.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi, and good luck with this challenge !!

I get the 'not wanting to gind to be able to gear up' part. I felt the same way with my current two untwinked 99er attempts. I know what I should be doing to be most efficient, in most cases run LK ad nauseum. I just can't bring myself to do it if it's too boring.

atomicpunk

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi, and good luck with this challenge !!

I get the 'not wanting to gind to be able to gear up' part. I felt the same way with my current two untwinked 99er attempts. I know what I should be doing to be most efficient, in most cases run LK ad nauseum. I just can't bring myself to do it if it's too boring.
Thank you! I just finished another run from RoF to Baal and am now half way to 94. It looks like I'll hit 94 tomorrow and 95 by next Wednesday. I got a 20 Dex RF out of Chaos this run.