99 theorycrafting and stuff like that

Cyrax

Diabloii.Net Member
Druids don't seem to get a lot of loving here. Even though it was a druid who was the first to reach 99 (in 1.10 and up). Windy seems the obvious choice for the task.

Comparing to Strijdjes windy, would you use the same equip? I'm not sure on the nightwing's + facet and the facet in the stormshield. Shako looks like a good candidate with equal + skills but lots of vita/mana and since you won't have redemption like a paladin i think i may prefer this. Downside would be i won't be getting to the 99% FCR breakpoint unless i find a 19 or 20% FCR amu.

And what about the target of choice? Instead of Baal i'd say it seems like he could do CS very well.

spearv

Diabloii.Net Member
@zgpmf

I have a similar switch just for WP to entrance. I'm not skipping too much right now, in the low 90s I'm happy at the rate I gain XP doing near full clears. I've invested in Str quite a bit but I don't care to mess around with a Titan build when considering the damage vs xp loss on death at higher levels. I've skipped Ravenfrost as it doesn't really offer anything I need using WW in an area with no boss. Perhaps if I start farming Diablo I'll have to reconsider as it is an excellent source of AR (and if I use a skill that isn't WW, its sort've essential).

zgpmf

Diabloii.Net Member
@Cyrax
I prefer SS tree oriented builds, I tried running CS with Windy and he does OK only it takes a while to kill Diablo on p7.

@spearv
I use Ravenfrost mainly because of +mana and AR but I'll probably switch it for a rare with more mana and min damage.

Corrupted

Diabloii.Net Member
You "only" save 13-20 hours during 98 by saving Hell Ancients then. I think most of the cookiecutter chars that people are ACTUALLY taking to 99 wil lose a similar amount of time if not more doing pindle/areas rather than baaling to 98.
For a Wind druid I would probably baal until 96 or 97 skipping baal himself, then switch to CS until 98.

I think the most important part of making 99 in SP is to get on it right away instead of putting in a 100 or more hours simply trying to get near-perfect equipment for the character. Get to 97 and you're just getting started. If you finish 97 there's a chance you might go all the way. I take my hats off to Azmo and the like that made a 99 at the pace which you could have made 99 twice with cookiecutters. 100-250 hours is required to reach clvl 99 depending on your build and ability. This doesn't include the time you take to find the equipment.

Jason Maher

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm currently trying to get a MS Bowazon to 99. Been running CS, using Fleshripper on switch to take down Big D. Can't see any way (other than MP) for a physical Bowazon to reliably run Baal. Far too many potential PIs. Perhaps Freezing Arrow on switch?

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
I'm planning for this sorc (90 xD) to be a basic lightning 99er, but probably pits/cows rather than Baal as I have a grail to finish! Light sorc with griffons but not infinity will own cows without killing king right? :scratchhead:

Ilandalar

Diabloii.Net Member
Druids don't seem to get a lot of loving here. Even though it was a druid who was the first to reach 99 (in 1.10 and up). Windy seems the obvious choice for the task.

Comparing to Strijdjes windy, would you use the same equip? I'm not sure on the nightwing's + facet and the facet in the stormshield. Shako looks like a good candidate with equal + skills but lots of vita/mana and since you won't have redemption like a paladin i think i may prefer this. Downside would be i won't be getting to the 99% FCR breakpoint unless i find a 19 or 20% FCR amu.

And what about the target of choice? Instead of Baal i'd say it seems like he could do CS very well.
I initially planned for my 99-runner to be a windy druid (level 96 currently from Pit running) but I've given up that goal mainly because I believed I could get there faster with another character.

His gear was mostly similar to Strijdjes' with a few differences: Shako (temporarily plain), Enigma, Trangs, Arachnids belt, HotO, Stormshield Shael ,Wartravellers, rings and amulets would have been something to bring me to the 99 breakpoint. I was short of reaching that BP by a few %. Inventory should have been stacked with Natural GCs (only had a few). As for the Merc I had a A5 barb with Lawbringer for style-points but for serious running it would have been a reaper's A2 merc.

I gave up on him in favor of a WW barb that I plan to take to 97/98 in the Pits. His gear is Arreats (Umed), Superior Enigma Wyrmhide (pain to repair), eth Grief(CB)+Oath (CS), Ghoulhide/LoH, Gores, String and a x% FCR melee ring. For TP I use dual Wizardspikes. I am confident that I can get him quickly to 98 (I still need to fit the hours somewhere though) but I was concerned about viable targets from 98-99 so it was really helpful hearing about conc/zerk's viability.

I'm still looking to fill in the charm section and maybe find second ring+amulet alternatives. I'm also curious about Jason's MS bowzon because it was a tight pick between the barb and a bowzon variant.

spearv

Diabloii.Net Member
I got myself to 40% fcr on my Barb yesterday. It is utterly amazing, I can't believe I've never played a WW barb with FCR before (40 = Arachnid Mesh, 2 Blood craft rings with FCR). I dislike weapon switching, and this setup solves the problem. Once I get to the Pits I can zip around while still wielding Griefs, even repositioning in combat, or to move my merc... so responsive. I don't know if this is purely a 99 theorycrafting thing, but in my case it is probably a decent time saver when considering thousands of runs.

I usually use Shako/String/Travs on my WW barbs, but using Guils/Gores/Arachnid I'm noticably more fragile. At some point, hopefully before I take a lame death, I'll have to look to shore up my defenses somehow. Probably at the cost of damage, the FCR has to stay :p

EasyG

Diabloii.Net Member
Today I suddenly realised that using a gheeds in my inventory is a terrible idea, especially since I dont know yet what to do with my open sockets. I could simply put an Ist in the mainweapon and replace the gheeds with a skiller, that way I would still have over 100% mf and +1 extra to traps. Offcourse most elemental chars would be better of with facets then with +1 to skills, so this is something specific for assassins.

zgpmf

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm planning for this sorc (90 xD) to be a basic lightning 99er, but probably pits/cows rather than Baal as I have a grail to finish! Light sorc with griffons but not infinity will own cows without killing king right? :scratchhead:
Why cows? For socketables? They are terrible for exp and uniques. AT would be much better IMO.

Today I suddenly realised that using a gheeds in my inventory is a terrible idea, especially since I dont know yet what to do with my open sockets. I could simply put an Ist in the mainweapon and replace the gheeds with a skiller, that way I would still have over 100% mf and +1 extra to traps. Offcourse most elemental chars would be better of with facets then with +1 to skills, so this is something specific for assassins.
You can put dual Isted Ali baba in cube and switch it for your main weapon (Lash) just a few seconds before Baal drops dead. That's what I did with my 99 Sorc in MFL and it worked pretty well.

Cyrax

Diabloii.Net Member
Currently in the process of lvling a windy. Depending on how good he feels when grown up i think this may become my LF zons partner. This means i've been giving the gear some more thought and i'd like some opinions on headgear and shield.

Strijdje had his druid use nightwings (with facet). Does that really get huricane to do significant damage? I'm thinking most of the damage will come from the tornado's which deal physical damage. Thus i'm considering either shako (for obvious reasons) or ravenlore (+1 skills more compared to jalal's and nightwings. Less resists compared to jalal's, but more then nightwings). If one of those would be chosen over nightwings, what would a good socketfiller be?

What about shield? The stormshield Strijdje used seems like a good choice, though again i'm questioning the use of a facet. But what would fit better there? Another tempting option would be spirit. Easier to reach good cast BP, skills and more. Major downside would be losing 35% DR and i think it would make reaching 75% block hard to achieve.

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Cows for cow set, and also they're fun! :loving:
Abandoned her 99 project though, didn't feel right.

zgpmf

Diabloii.Net Member
Im running Baal with LF zon ATM and she is 112M away from clvl 98. I'll hit Nihl's place than and I think she will be 99 before the MFO starts.

Currently in the process of lvling a windy. Depending on how good he feels when grown up i think this may become my LF zons partner. This means i've been giving the gear some more thought and i'd like some opinions on headgear and shield.

Strijdje had his druid use nightwings (with facet). Does that really get huricane to do significant damage? I'm thinking most of the damage will come from the tornado's which deal physical damage. Thus i'm considering either shako (for obvious reasons) or ravenlore (+1 skills more compared to jalal's and nightwings. Less resists compared to jalal's, but more then nightwings). If one of those would be chosen over nightwings, what would a good socketfiller be?

What about shield? The stormshield Strijdje used seems like a good choice, though again i'm questioning the use of a facet. But what would fit better there? Another tempting option would be spirit. Easier to reach good cast BP, skills and more. Major downside would be losing 35% DR and i think it would make reaching 75% block hard to achieve.
Where would you level him?

I think max blocking isn't necessary because of huricane and pets/merc and FBR breakpoints are awful.

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
I'm guessing Baal, that's where I played mine and it worked well. I'm sure somebody here has 99'd one there too.

Corrupted

Diabloii.Net Member
Very nice progress zgpmf.

Cyrax: Are you planning on self-MP'ing or simply playing the two chars individually while aiming to get 99 around the same time?
Anyhow, +2 druid +3 tornado rare helm is the way to go for damage.
If p8 lister is comfortable enough for you with Spirit/baseblock then I'd say go for it.

Ilandalar

Diabloii.Net Member
As you've said Hurricane is not a significant part of your DPS* so boosting that using facets is not worth it in my opinion. My helm option was an Shako with a ptopaz in it. I really found nothing except killing speed to be lacking (HP was ok, resists were not needed but ok anyway, etc etc) so I was left with no choice on what to put there so I defaulted to the topaz.

I made a post in a recent thread regarding shield options for druids. Basically Stormshield (Shael) gives you max block at the 6 frames BP and the ability to tank archer packs and other nasty attackers. The Spirit gives you a ton more life (assuming Oak + CtA) because it's silly to go for max block with that one, as well as an easier FCR breakpoint at 99 and the obvious +skills. I have no idea how the BP affects gameplay so I guess any other socket would be fine depending on what you feel is lacking (again I think killing power would be the main bottleneck and there are hardly any options for that).

My ideal helm would have been a +3 elemental +3 tornado +randoms pelt-of-something-awesome with some sockets punched into it. But those are rare and out of the thousands I IDed only this was the only one worth keeping:

Code:
Hierophant's Sacred Feathers of the Tiger 
Sacred Feathers
Defense: 58
Durability: 19 of 20
Required Level: 42
Required Strength: 62
Fingerprint: 0xc9066389 
Item Level: **
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+2 to Druid Skill Levels
+2 to Tornado (Druid Only)
+24 to Life
*I would assume you're leveling him in the Pits (significantly lower physical resistances, no physical immunes, easy/etc) and there are a ton of cold immunes there making Hurricane useless (not overall, only against them).

The quote for reference:
Because my druid is HC (and I was a bit worried of losing him) I use a Stormshield with a Shael rune (6 frames BP) for safety. The Spirit would be only for the +2 skills and other random mods none of which are particularly build-changing (except maybe FHR). The FCR on Spirit can help with reaching the 11 frames BP at 99% but it can be done with the Stormshield as well (gloves + belt in your case).

With Spirit you obviously will not go for max block and between Oak and CtA you're looking at a whole bunch of extra HP as well.

Right now I would say that Stormshield is definitely not required even if you're teleporting but I personally enjoy the though that I can tank a whole bunch of damage at a steady rate.</span>

zaphodbrx

Diabloii.Net Member
So, no love for fire druid huh?
I played my fire druid a lot in the last 2 days. Areas run were mausoleum, crypt, act 5 ice caves, and some general other areas, all full clears at p7. These have very few or no fire immune, and even if something gets fire enchanted infinity will usually break it. Also, cows. Fissure nicely cooks the cows ( even at p7 ) into hamburgers, yum. Overall I don't think it's a build to take to 99 but it's very fun and a lot stronger than people give it credit for. I think it could have been a decent pit runner too, but unlike most fallen the devilkin's immunity is not broken by infinity, which puts a damper on the whole thing.

Overall, I think Blizzard messed up druids, they had the right ideas, but screwed the numbers. Shifters are crappy compared to Barb/paladins, elemental druids don't match up to sorcs, physical bowas are just as good as windies ( which is basically what tornado amounts to really ), and the summons completely suck compared to necros. They're still fun to play with good items but getting one to 99 would definitely require more effort than any other class.

Mungojerry

Diabloii.Net Member
@Zaphod: I agree on druids getting a short hand in d2. One thing though is windys get their main attack synched up with fast teleing, so thats a pretty different playstyle, these days anyway when everyon has an enigma.

EasyG

Diabloii.Net Member
You will have to wait a few years for this, but if I ever finish my assassin lvl99, Im planning for a fury druid. Fury druid is the second char I played in d2 and I allways have a weakness for them and I think I have an awesome, very fun, original build planned out.

Cyrax

Diabloii.Net Member
Im running Baal with LF zon ATM and she is 112M away from clvl 98. I'll hit Nihl's place than and I think she will be 99 before the MFO starts.
Not even 98 now and you still want to make 99 before the MFO which starts in like 3 weeks?! :dizzy:

Where would you level him?
The idea was to do p1/7 CS runs till 97, maybe 98. When reaching that lvl do ancients to give me a head start at the path to 98 (or 99) and then switch to Baals. Hadn't really considered the pits like Ilandalar mentions. Maybe that's preferred over CS? And would making the switch be timed right at 97/98 or should i switch to Baals earlier?

Cyrax: Are you planning on self-MP'ing or simply playing the two chars individually while aiming to get 99 around the same time?
If i self-MP'd i could've already had all 99-ers. Just let my lightsorc do the Baalruns when all others stand around in the corner. :wink: So no. I plan to play them individually. Trying to keep alternate between them so that they roughly have the same exp and finish about the same time.

Anyhow, +2 druid +3 tornado rare helm is the way to go for damage.
That had come to mind. Only problem is i never bothered to pick those up :badteeth:. It seems like i really should've.

As you've said Hurricane is not a significant part of your DPS* so boosting that using facets is not worth it in my opinion. My helm option was an Shako with a ptopaz in it. I really found nothing except killing speed to be lacking (HP was ok, resists were not needed but ok anyway, etc etc) so I was left with no choice on what to put there so I defaulted to the topaz.
Hmm, seems like the hat is a though one to get some use out of. Maybe a sol or pruby (DR or life) would also work. Not sure if that little bit will actually help so maybe a ptopaz is not such a bad idea.

So, no love for fire druid huh?
I played my fire druid a lot in the last 2 days. Areas run were mausoleum, crypt, act 5 ice caves, and some general other areas, all full clears at p7. These have very few or no fire immune, and even if something gets fire enchanted infinity will usually break it. Also, cows. Fissure nicely cooks the cows ( even at p7 ) into hamburgers, yum. Overall I don't think it's a build to take to 99 but it's very fun and a lot stronger than people give it credit for. I think it could have been a decent pit runner too, but unlike most fallen the devilkin's immunity is not broken by infinity, which puts a damper on the whole thing.
I do have a fire druid actually. Liked him, but as you also concluded, not really 99 material.

As far as the shield goes there doesn't really seem to be a single opinion on that so i guess that'll be trial and error. Think i'll go with spirit first as dieing isn't so bad early on. If i do occasionally die i'll switch to SS for the lvls where it does hurt to bite the dust.