Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

8 Throw Barb Questions

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by ChthonVII, Apr 2, 2005.

1. ChthonVII

ChthonVII IncGamers Member

8 Throw Barb Questions

So, I'm vaguely mulling over making a throw barb...

Things to keep in mind:
    1) This barb would be for fun; I'm not really interested in making the best barb ever here
    2) This barb would be 99% PvM
    3) This barb would be outfitted with items from my (non-ladder) mules -- no lacerators, no enigma, etc.

Questions:
    1) Is the damage formula on the arreat summit correct? (Double/Throw damage based on str?)
    2) How much mana does a throw barb need? Are they like a whirlwinder, who can get by easily w/ base energy & 1 mana leech item, or more like a lightning fury zon, who needs a small number of points in energy?
    3) Weapons: I've got the following sitting on my mules:
    80-kabillion x glimmershread (this has to be the most common elite unique in the game)
    1x demon arch
    1x gargoyle bite
    1x cruel winged axe of the wraith (299%/7%)
    I'm thinking either 2x glimmershreads or glimmershread+cruel winged axe. It looks like dual glimmer will do a ton of elemental damage, but the glimmer + winged axe will be 1/2 a frame faster at every reasonable ias bp & do more physical damage to leech with.
    4) How much does ias matter? Obviously it's important; but is this like a bowazon where nothing else matters, or is it worth sacrificing a breakpoint for gear that excells in other ways?
    5) Ammy: highlords or cats eye?
    6) Armor: I've got the following sitting on my mules:
    All normal & exceptional armors
    +2 valor
    All set armors
    (Potentially) all runewords using runes pul & down (I'm not willing to spend anything more on this guy right now).
    I'm kinda lost here... Maybe corpsemourn would be nice for the high def & CE charges? Does CE work well w/ throwers (it seems like it should)? Lionheart might also be nice for the 20% ed & the all resists. Valor has +2 skills, but this guy seems more item than skill dependent...
    Any ideas here?
    7) If I do decide this guy is worth investing into, is an enigma really a signifcant boost over any of the above armors? Stone? CoH?
    8) Anybody got any clever thoughts on throw barbs in general?

2. Tastychiken_europe

Tastychiken_europe IncGamers Member

Ok ill answer the once i think i can answer..
    1. Fallen, the one who wrote the PvP thrower guide said to me in a PM when i tried to give him some updates on throwing that arreat summit has an * instead of a + somewhere wich makes it wrong...
    2. from my experience 5 Ml is enough but i have to pot sometimes (manaburn, grrr).. but if your having trouble go with crescent moon..
    3. Cruel winged axe of the wraith/Gimmershred you need that speed even if it isnt much, slap some ias on and load up frenzy and youll c power :). (btw trie to get to a 6-5 frame attack).
    4. Well if u have Knockback u can surrender some defence or some Fhr since they will be knockdback all the time..
    5. Absolutely Highlords Cats eye gives u tremendous ar but Highlords can give 37% ds and skills ias.. highlords is king for your build :D
    6. Well i would go with Trang or Ik but im not that good with picking armors, one good thing would be a duress but it contains um so... no duress ;).
    7. If u think He's that good that u wanna Upgrade him a bit, go with either Warshrikes or Lacerators first since you seem that rich.. and for armor it would be good with a stone for BvB, and a Coh/Duress for BvC.. But arreats you keep.
    8. 1. Javelins got longer range, so get demons arch and maybe a shield on switch.
    2. Knockback seem to occur not that often for double throw, keep that in mind if u want to play in pubbies with him..

//tastychiken
    (some of my statements may be wrong but think of it, they can come from your best friend :D i only pick'd it up here and nowhere else..)

3. comokenyatta

comokenyatta IncGamers Member

Go with axes for pvm. Demon archs are too slow and have too low a quantity. The range doesn't make up for it in pvm...

4. Tastychiken_europe

well i said have it on switch didnt i? ;)

5. ChthonVII

ChthonVII IncGamers Member

A couple more questions:

9) What kind of merc? Holy freeze to slow them down? Might for more damage?
    10) What's the deal w/ frenzy? A lot of people seem to think that it should be used periodically for the speed bonus. It seems to me that getting close enough to frenzy is a wee bit dangerous & 8 second is hardly long enough to get back into throwing position before the bonus runs out. Any thoughts?

6. comokenyatta

comokenyatta IncGamers Member

I dunno man, you can throw a lot of axes in 8 seconds with frenzy...I made 2 throw barbs, one with WW and the other with frenzy, and I like the frenzy way betterr.

7. Tastychiken_europe

Yeah With warshrikes or lacerators on with fana aura and a good frenzy u be throwing like a mad man (in teamduels get that zealot in ur party ;) )