Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

8 player Mephisto-tanking Merc

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by UberB, May 20, 2008.

1. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

8 player Mephisto-tanking Merc

I like to do hellforge rushes, I classic rush 7 mules past Duriel and then convert to LoD. My hammerdin gets them past the council but my Meteorb is quite slow at taking out Meph, so I've decided to use a Blizzard. I can use moat trick but I want to know if a merc can tank Meph properly first before resorting a slower and more riskier tactic (attracting Bremm and his boys).

What I want to know: is it possible for a merc to tank 8-player meph long enough for you to kill without having to slip it too many pots? What would be sorc's gear, merc's gear? And would I use Act2 or Act5?

Currently I'm thinking an Act2 defiance merc with Andy's, Stone and Obedience with the blizzard sorc wearing standard Fathom, Nightwings etc. Is it even possible for a merc to last that long or should I just resort to the moat trick?

2. accipite

accipite IncGamers Member

Re: 8 player Mephisto-tanking Merc

i think u could kill Mephisto in seconds with the gear u mentioned.
    def merc with Fort + Reapers + Blackhorns Face would be better.

3. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

Did a little looking around. Mephisto has 75 cold resist in Hell mode, and the most we can subtract is up to -100%. That takes a level... 32 Cold Mastery! Facets and other -% cold res gear would change that amount.

I'm not at home, so I can't get my tablet out and figure out how to figure out the gear set. Breakpoints are fairly usual. 63%FCR-105%FCR, +30%FHR, Max block/stormshield.

Load the defiance mercenary up on as much defense, DR% and slowing gear possible. Shaft, Rockstopper, Reaper's Toll. Socketed with Shaels/Ias jewels to hit decent speed breakpoints and FHR. Get him up to a decently high level to decrease Mephisto's CTH him.

It also depends on what sort of tanking you want the mercenary to do. I kind of like teleporting onto him and casting static/spamming cold spells while my mercenary casts decrepify and can take a few hits if Mephisto is in a bad mood vs. the sorceress.

Those are just some quick notes. I think the moat trick is goofy. Mephisto isn't that scary.

4. Borje

Borje Banned

Merc vs. meph has been covered so many times, try the search function, but here is a short of what you need to know about meph vs merc battles:

-Merc can't leech from meph (unless meph is Life tapped) so don't bother with that. What you need to do is make sure meph doesn't hurt him that much. use the following ways: Res/absorb, Slow him down and kill him fast.

Res: make sure he has max light and cold res. Change the helmet for a Blackhorns Face for some light res, integer lightning absorb and slow.

Slow: You can slow monsters down by using the curse Decrepify, chilling them down with cold dmg (your blizz does that) and using Slows target by XX%. Either you give your merc the Reapers toll for Decrepify or Kelpier's Snare for Slows target by 75% (iirc slow is capped at 50%, at least against bosses).

Kill him faster: Just do it :wink3:

Setup I'd choose, all ofc eth/ethbugged in case of RW's (note that this is only for making a merc that is great for taking on merc):

Blackhorns Face, up it!
    Duress/Fort/CoH - what ever, res is most important, but you won't need CoH's massive res...
    Reapers toll

5. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

I thought most of Meph's damage was elemental? But when merc gets close, he uses melee? I'll go with Blackhorn's, Stone and Reaper's Toll then.

Also, I currently have a level 90 blizzard sorc which I discontinued because I screwed up on stats. Anyway here's her stats. 98 base strength, 27 base dex, 61 base energy and rest into Vita. She was my first char. Do I need block? Marrowwalks, a torch and some Fal runes should take care of Spirit strength problem. Reckon I'll only go 63 FCR this time.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  6. Borje

Borje Banned

If you go with 63% blocking you would be helped by blocking when teleing to meph. If you manage to get to him alive you should have no problem with that char.

If you use Marrowwalk and yourmerc is dying you could allways use the Life Tap charges on meph to make your merc unkillable...

The mercs setup looks fine, shouldn't be much of aproblem for you, since a high lvl blizz would kill meph quickly.

As for your setup, try Full Tals, it would probably rock!

7. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez IncGamers Member

errrr......

moat > meph. there's no need for your merc to be anywhere near meph. just blizz the crap out of him from afar.

8. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

When I try this, my merc likes to wander towards Meph and I have to go really really far back. If it's a barb merc, moat trick is virtually impossible, their AI is too aggressive. Also the moat trick = dead mule, which is kind of annoying and I'd like to avoid that if possible. Finally, you'll attract council members/ghoul lords quite more often than you'd like.

I guess I'll forget the block (don't wanna remake lol), and with it I gain 105 FCR too.:thumbsup: Guess my brother doesn't get to have my 35 FCR spirit, he's been wanting it since he got his Full Tal's meteorb.:laugh:

9. Borje

Borje Banned

The moat trick is to be done without merc, I know for a fact that both a2 and a5 mercs makes moatin impossible.. But moating is kind of a trick to be used for very poor players that can't get good enough gear to tank meph - if you ask me. With a good set up for you and your merc you wont need to moat him..

10. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

Agreed...although I have done moating with an Act2 Merc.