Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

8 player game, but only 7 characters. Who to bring?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by grandorth, Feb 13, 2004.

1. grandorth

grandorth IncGamers Member

8 player game, but only 7 characters. Who to bring?

7 other friends and I decided to make characters offline to palay over IP/LAN. The pan is for everyone to bring a different character, so 1 Druid, 1 Azn, 1 barb, and so on. The problem is, blizzard only made 7 characters.

I've checked some posts, but most suggest just Sorceress' and Necros, while leaving the other characters out of the "perfect group" Anyone have suggestions on what the 8th character should be?

2. delixer

delixer IncGamers Member

well you could have two zons, one bow and one jav. Or you could have two pallys, one convic + vengeance and one fanat + zeal (pretty brutal, my friend and I own everything with this combo).

3. grandorth

Exactly the kind of reply I was looking for. Suggestion of character with which two types.

I was thinking another melee character, so it'll probably be the paladin over zon. With the original 7 characters, only the barb will be the real meatshield, with maybe the Druid if they play Wolf and the Necro if they play summoner.

the difficult part is, I don't know what kind of characters they are going to pick, but we did that on purpose.

4. delixer

delixer IncGamers Member

I have a pretty much useless level 77 WW Druid in Hell because I don't have the items that he should have (i.e. Jalals, Shaft, etc.). My Zeal + Fanat pally has Sacrifice maxed to increased the amount of damage Zeal will do. My friend has Conviction + Vengeance maxed with 5 into each synergy for veng. We can blow through a Baal run in a matter of 3-4 minutes or so.

[edit]BTW, my WW Druid has over 3000 HP and 25%+ life leech, but still gets slaughtered

5. Nobbler

Nobbler IncGamers Member

Thats the same with my fury druid. Tons of life and over 7,000 damage. I'm guessing that a melee character without a shield is pretty much doomed. The only good two-handed melee character would be the concentrate barb.

6. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

Hire an Act 2 Defiance merc to act as a shield AND increase yer defense. You do nice damage - the merc should give U enuff time to take out the baddies.

7. thunderjp

thunderjp IncGamers Member

I always wanted to see a team of Paladins running different auras, a pair of druids and a warcry barb with a pair of necros.

W/out runewords, you could have:
    Players:
    Concentrate
    Fanatacism
    Salvation
    Oak Sage
    Heart of Wolverine
    Battle Orders
    Shout

Mercs:
    Defiance
    Prayer
    Holy Freeze
    Thorns
    Blessed Aim
    Might

Along with Amp Damage from the necros, I think this team would be funny to watch!

I'd love to see if another player could take on just 1 skelemancer with those teammates just running along providing auras.

8. grandorth

The problem with that is, im not sure where the other 7 player's skills are going to. Some of them might look up a guide or be experienced enough to know about cookie cutters, but probably most of us won't have that.

My biggest concern is defence. From what others have posted and my own experience, Druids arn't good meatshields. Their shield spell is nice only if they are a full wind druid. I have a level 77 barb with the full IK armor on nonladder, and he dies by the first monster in Hell Worldstone keep 2. (built prior 1.09) Would having a Necro that summon be a good idea?

Also, we are all doing a fresh start, and we won't have godly rare items.

9. grandorth

Hmm. If you can find 6 other people, we could try that out.

10. delixer

delixer IncGamers Member

Here is my idea of the ultimate [Paladin] party:

Players:
    Offenisve Auras:
    Fanatacism
    Conviction
    Concentration
    Blessed Aim
    Holy Shock

Defensive Auras:
    Salvation
    Meditation
    Vigor

Mercs:
    Might
    Thorns
    Defiance
    Holy Freeze

I only put the mercs that have auras that the players are using. You could add Act3 mercs for elemental damage, considering Conviction will boost their damage.

As long as the party stays together they would be practicly invincible. There are only two substitutes I can think of is to replace Vigor and Meditation with any of the following: Resist Fire/Cold/Lighting or Holy Fire.

Fanatacism:
    Increased the attack speed, attack rating and damage of all party members.

Conviction:
    Weakens monsters defense and resistances, thus increasing physical damage and elemental damage (Vengeance, Holy Fire/Freeze/Shock).

Concentration:
    Increases damage of all party, more hits landed without being interrupted.

Blessed Aim:
    Increases attack rating, more hits landed.

Holy Shock:
    This skill can added a lot of damage to both the attack of the player and the periodical shock to the monsters. With lowered lighting resistance from Convication this skill becomes even more powerful.

Salvation:
    Increases the entire parties resistances. Always a good thing :).

Meditation:
    Mana regeneration for those using Vengeance or any other "mana intensive" skill.

Vigor:
    Everyone can run and walk faster. Progress through dungeons faster.

Might:
    Again, increased damage.

Thorns:
    Damage back to enemies. Very good against Lister and pals.

Defiance:
    Increases the defense of the entire party.

Holy Freeze:
    This skill can added a lot of damage to both the attack of the player and the periodical shock to the monsters. With lowered cold resistance from Convication this skill becomes even more powerful.