Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by SeCKSEgai, Aug 25, 2010.

1. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

I've always avoided HC in the past as the last thing I wanted was death by lag, especially after all that time and effort. Since I made the move to SP, and have nearly burned out on MFing that Holy Grail, I decided to finally give it a try.

I'd be lying if I said that one life didn't make things more exciting. Whether I lived to fight again through a quick rejuv or a save and exit in the face of imminent death, it was a nice rush.

For my first experience, I figured a summoner necro would be the safest bet and I always wanted to get the full experience of grinding one up. I'm just shy of regretting that.

As I've primarily played sins and sorcs, I'm used to caster classes and the glass cannon mindset. The summoner reminds me of the mastermind of City of Villains - but far more frustrating. Since I'm used to teleporting my minions into place, I had forgotten just how irritatingly stupid the AI is. As I never did find any gear with teleport charges and I was avoiding multiple passes, I'd sometimes resort to using tp scrolls if it was bad enough.

Also, as I'm used to high damage builds, the speed was really killing me. While p8 does help even the XP out for Single Pass, it felt just like grinding, only with fewer drops.

Getting from Norm to NM was fairly uneventful, with the occasional near death experience. Hell on the other hand... whew. Nothing like getting bum-rushed by a fanatic pack in random gear oh HC.

After I hit 75, I figured I was pretty set as long as I was careful. Getting out of Arcane alone had several near deaths. I've never appreciated having builds with their own direct attack more. Luckily I managed to regain the patience and persevered on.

I was dreading all the trudging around in Act 3 yet again. I managed to get through spider forest fairly smoothly. I hadn't explored all of it when I happened across the flayer jungle, and thought that was convenient. For once, I wouldn't mind skipping Great Marsh.

The dungeon felt almost too easy - no exploding dolls. It was as if the game was saving something special for me.

So as I hunt for the path to the bazaar, I stumble upon the Great Marsh. Something tells me that I need to be extra careful, so I start casting my golem in front to probe. A lightning bolt whizzes by...

Right now, I've got maybe 9% light res, and I contemplate if I should adjust the gear for the lite res. I'm also accustomed to a lot more life, as at this point I'm under 1k. I decide to feel it out a little further and see how dangerous it is....

I explore a bit, and as I'm being careful, the gloams/burning souls are hardly touching me. I get a little low here and there, but I don't need to waste a rejuv.

I start to go up one of the pathways with the two cementlike fixtures on each side of the opening. The first bolt comes... whew that was close. I hold off on the rejuv, still had 1/3 and was just about out of harms way when half of the very large pack of gloams fires down at my skellies and its all over.

I hadn't enjoyed the game that much in a while, even in the mind-numbing frustrations. Almost tempted to make another go at it, since I have yet to have achieve Guardian Status. Yet, at the same time, I already have sooo many pretty things SC side. That and I don't lose everything I worked on in a single death.

I've read that someone's managed Guardian with a naked summoner necro. While I believe I have the skills to accomplish the feat, I know I don't have the patience. Minions without teleport? Never again for me thanks.

I must say, much respect to you regular HC players. After this experience, I can definitely see why HC characters have a penchant for max block on even glass cannons.

2. MrKaxe

MrKaxe IncGamers Site Pal

Re: 77

I'm glad you enjoyed the fun of HC there dude! :)

3. Vague

Vague IncGamers Member

I've Gaurdianed a couple of HC chars on bnet. It was incredibly painful and really annoying to deal with lag. Both chars eventually died due to a combination of my own mistakes and lag. I think that in hc even the best players can slip up and end up with a dead char.

I've moved off of bnet, I think forever now. It's just not fun. Besides the people on these forums, most people I encounter on bnet are either dicks, or completely stupid. Sometimes both.
    Sp is nice, but I have yet to commit to a full hc chars. I don't know how others feel, but I play sc chars until they die once. Upon death I strip them of gear and delete them. Basically its hardcore without the severe gear losses. I feel its acceptable, because most people who play online play with buddies who are there to pick up their crap should they encounter the gloam pack you mentioned. I basically want the challenge of hardcore without losing sexy items that I've found.

Anyway, just a thought. Maybe you should try it out. Maybe even open up a new stash and basically start a whole new set of chars from scratch if you're starting to get bored.

4. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

Yeah, the painful part tends to cancel out the fun and then some.

I agree, bnet offers little more than SP, so there's little reason to go back for me.

As for your SC virtual HC strategy, it totally makes sense to me. I just don't stay in the same mindset when in SC, so it wouldn't be the same, that and the biggest motivator is the fact that its probably the one thing on D2 I haven't done yet is achieve Guardian.

Oh I've been bored for a while, with bits of fun in between. Basically my HC side is on its own. It's so puny in comparison hehe.