Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

7-Deadly Sins Mini-bosses?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by fooffstarr, Jul 4, 2008.

1. fooffstarr

fooffstarr IncGamers Member

7-Deadly Sins Mini-bosses?

Just a theory, but I personally think it is a fair call:

[​IMG]

This guy, who the Barbarian fights in the demo reel is called Thousand Pounder (Gluttony Incarnate).

Gluttony is one of the 7 deadly sins. The newly-resurrected Diablo would need some new henchmen considering most of the lesser evils and the rest of the prime evils etc. were killed in the last game.

Why not create physical manifestations of the 7 deadly sins?

Would make for a really interesting concept. You wouldn't know which one you would be facing next, and when. Could be end-of-act bosses or quest targets or simply unique heroes that guard a particular area (such as the brute boss next to the magic tree in D2 etc).

Thoughts?

2. Flux

Flux Administrator

Re: 7-Deadly Sins Mini-bosses?

It's a theory. One problem is that the presentations discussed this, and as you might guess from the quick and easy battle in the movie, this is not a big boss monster. It's just a regular boss, equivalent to a superunique, I guess. it's in the demo as an example of the cool scripted events that you can find in D3.

3. Swiffer

Swiffer IncGamers Member

Ok, 7 deadly sins:

Lust: Well, i guess you could throw up a huge Succubus that tries to have sex with you until you die.

Greed: Every time the mob hits you, you lose 100 gold. Great for the mage and archer, not so good for the barb :D

Gluttony: Pretty much covered

Sloth: Dude on a couch? ;) Or just some very slow moving creature

Wrath: Could do just about anything i guess. Wrath is anger, everything in hell is angry.

Envy: Uhhh...yeah, i got no clue what they would do for this.

Pride: Well...i guess Fabio could make an appearence and talk about how beautiful he is =x

Yeah, its a nice theory, but i just cannot see some of them working unless Blizzard are confident players won't go crazy if they throw in WoW type fights that have pauses while the mob does a bit of talking.

4. Pitboss_2000

Pitboss_2000 IncGamers Member

It's a cool concept, but I can't really see it working since four of the seven sins (sloth, greed, pride and envy) would make for a terrible boss. "Meh, I'd kill you, but I'm just too lazy today".

5. jamesisbest

jamesisbest IncGamers Member

I could see Blizzard possibly toying with the idea as a new feature though I don't think it will be one. It would be a rather fun idea. My view of the possibilities for the 7 sins:
    Gluttony: covered
    Lust: Succubus is most likely candidate
    Greed: A superunique spawned from a chest trap
    Sloth: Zombie or some lethargic monster
    Wrath: A demon of some sort possibly similar to the ones in the cinematic trailer
    Envy: A doppleganger/shapeshifter class of some sort or at the very least a summoner
    Pride: Strong humanoid reminds me a the summoner so maybe a sorcerer/sorceress class

As swiffer said though it would be hard to implement with random scripted events/monsters. I also don't think they would put it in the main storyline because it would stray too far away from the focus of the story. Would be cool though if they had 7 subclasses of enemies and had a specific one for each "sin" but I wouldn't bank on it.

6. detestrian

detestrian IncGamers Member

Envy: "I must have your shoes! They are simply to DIE for!"

7. Pitboss_2000

Hhhmmm, I must say your suggestions are pretty good! (although I'm still not very impressed by the idea of a 'lethargic monster';)) Perhaps these bosses could go into a separate dungeon, or a castle that you can optionally visit for a subquest.

8. Sein Schatten

Sein Schatten IncGamers Member

How do you know he isn't a boss? I think all player characters you have seen where outside the gamerules so they don't die and can kill faster and so on.

9. Erwwwd

Erwwwd IncGamers Member

Did you know Melancholy used to be a deadly sin as well?

The catholic church took one away to make it 7 as that was a holy number.

So what'd be a cool melancholy monster?

10. Niyougegema

Niyougegema IncGamers Member

Envy... zomg gimmie ur occy ring plz!!!!11! *mass spam until you must S+E to escape*

Btw, that is one badass screenshot. Can all the naysayers take a look at that and say the game is going in the wrong artistic direction.

11. okiimatsu

okiimatsu IncGamers Member

Ya, looks like some generic console Ghostbusters type game.

12. SmittySixTen

SmittySixTen IncGamers Member

Zombie Wirt for the win on this one.

13. Pitboss_2000

The Goth Lord!

14. lukefojut

lukefojut IncGamers Member

Actually, sloth would be a really easy boss to implement. Just give the gameplay a slight tweak so that it can be pretty much any monster with a strong physical attack that you're forced to attack.

Throw in some sort of poison/magical damage area effect so that the longer it takes you to kill him/her, the more likely you are to die from the area effect.

So, you have the option to attack a strong monster at close range and risk getting slaughtered, or die like a lazy coward!

Ok, maybe a little bit 'Metal Gear Solid', but I'd like to see a few conventions in DIII lifted from other games (as opposed to a pure hack 'em up)

15. WzWz

WzWz IncGamers Member

Sloth made me immediately think of Griswold. Should be something slow with a lot of health that hurts when he hits.

16. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

I have a theory of my own. Some of the zombies, the mentioned boss, and the bloated things that burst into eels are all obese. I believe the game is trying to appeal to the obese players, thus supporting the obesity epidemic.

Unfortuantely, many companies are doing this. After all, the obese are perfect consumers; they buy more and consume more. There is a general attempt by many companies to normalize and even glamorize obesity to help sell more product. They want us to think that obesity is normal and perfectly OK, even though heart disease is the number one killer in America. Maybe Blizzard wants us to think thier huge monster designs are "cool" or "powerful". Often in the media we see obese characters performing great athletic feats in an attempt to further show that being overweight is healthy and even empowering. The large monsters in the game so far seem to be powerful. You could argue that since they are the monsters, Blizzard is "fighting" obesity; however, it would not surprise me if dangerously obese NPC's and even a hero class show up in the game.

17. Cast_Raider

Cast_Raider IncGamers Member

no one actually enjoys looking at fat slobs though

if some of the creatures are fat, it is because it's a horror game meant to horrify you

18. stillman

Some people do enjoy looking at overweight characters though, particularly, overweight palyers. Overweight players may feel left out if they are staring at a screen all day showing body builders and beautiful model women. I agree with you in that we are meant to be horrified, but I think there is more to it in the bigger scheme of things (i.e. marketing). For example, are we really "horrified" by the big-bellied zombies which are just part of the normal monsters? I believe those monsters are there to help normalize obesity. It helps sell games, just like plus-size actors appearing in Dairy Queen comercials helps sell Dairy Queen products. It's just a theory of mine, anyway. I could be wrong.

19. SmittySixTen

SmittySixTen IncGamers Member

Um... what? I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but that seems like an awful lot to write if you are. For now I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, and just going to assume you're joking.

20. stillman

No, I wasn't joking. Why is my idea so hard to believe? It's a new trend these days in advertising. More than half of the American population is overweight or obese. It makes good sense to target this group for advertising.

Edit: I just wanted to add that, as I noted above, this is just a theory, I could be wrong, but it is relavant: people are curious as to what all these heavy monsters are doing in a small, 20 minute segment of the game. I believe heart disease is a serious issue. Computer use and advertising contribute to this epidemic.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008