658 rushing yards in one game, still no record!

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
658 rushing yards in one game, still no record!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/highschool/09/30/bc.fbh.matewan.mccoy.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

DELBARTON, W.Va. (AP) -- Paul McCoy ran for 658 yards in a high school football game and, believe it or not, may not have set a national record with his feat.

The total tops the National Federation of State High School Association's listed record of 619 yards set by Ronney Jenkins of Oxnard, Calif., in 1995. But high school records historian Doug Huff said Saturday the recognized record is 739 yards by John Giannantonio of Netcong, N.J., in 1950, against Mountain Lakes.

McCoy piled up his yardage on just 29 carries -- an average of 22.7 yards per attempt -- and scored 10 touchdowns as Matewan beat Burch 64-0 on Friday. McCoy racked up 477 of his yards scoring on TD runs of runs, which covered 69, 1, 52, 56, 52, 20, 31, 84, 87 and 25 yards.

He also had a 77-yard TD run called back because of a penalty.

"The National Federation book for some reason does not include that (the 739 yards), and I think the reason is there's a formal process for submitting those things," Huff said Saturday. "This school doesn't exist anymore. The papers recognized it. The school had a special ceremony. It's been in my records for years."

McCoy did set a state record with his 658 yards, and his 10 TDs would tie him with two others for the second most nationally. The record is 12, set by Ken Pearson of Hugo, Colo., in 1930.

McCoy, averaging 345 yards per game, has 1,723 yards and 26 touchdowns this season.
Anyone else see the huge problem here?

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
I knew I could count on you Pat. That's exactly what I was talking about. Their kicker was 4/10 on PATs. That's horrendously awful.

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't believe that 4/10 is the best anyone on that team can do. If the kicker isn't kicking worth a damn, get a new one. Jeez.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
There's also the chance that they went for two. But with a back like that, you'd think they could convert more than twice.

LonghornRob

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, I noticed the extra point descrepancy almost immediately as well. And good god damn, 658 yards? That's rediculous. *Sends article to Mack Brown's email* ...

Bortaz

Banned
Reminds me of the story of the Sugarland Express. This old dude was awesome.

Ken Hall, who played for Sugar Land from 1950 to 1954, ran, dived, spun, and hurdled his way to a staggering 11,232 yards. During his senior year alone, the man dubbed the Sugar Land Express rushed for 4,045 yards, a distance some people don't walk in a year.
From another site:

Hall, a 1953 graduate of Sugar Land High School - prior to the formation of the Fort Bend Independent School District in 1959 - holds more rushing records than any other high school running back in the history of Texas high school football.

Known as the "Sugar Land Express," Hall set more than 15 state and/or national records during his Sugar Land career. Hall entered the Gators' Class B football program as a 5-11, 170-pound running back and left a 6-foot-1, 205-pounder with the kind of speed and power that caught the eye of legendary coach Bear Bryant, who signed Hall to a scholarship at Texas A&M.

Hall finished his career with a record 11,232 yards rushing. It was the most ever by a high school running back in Texas and nationally. Hall's career rushing mark, which breaks down to 2,808 yards per season and 234 yards per game, in a 12-game season, stands as a state record and is No. 2 in the nation.

During his senior season, Hall averaged 337.1 rushing yards per game and set a single season record with 4,045 yards rushing. He rushed for 100 yards or more in 38 consecutive games. He's fourth in Texas history for single-game rushing yards, with 520 yards on just 11 carries against Houston Lutheran in 1953. Hall was inducted into the Texas Sports Hall of Fame in 1994.

Hall married his high school sweetheart, Gloria Ross, and they have two grown sons and five grandchildren. The Halls live in Fredericksburg and recently retired from their successful business, "Ken Hall's Barbeque Place," also located in Fredericksburg.

LonghornRob

Diabloii.Net Member
Bortaz said:
Reminds me of the story of the Sugarland Express. This old dude was awesome.

From another site:

HAH! What a coincidence, I just learned about this guy on Thursday when I visited the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum here in Austin. He has a plaque located in the "Famous Texans of the 20th Century" section, on the 3rd floor. I remembered his specifically because the thought of 520 yards on 11 carries was an astonishing one.

Bortaz

Banned
They ran a story on him in the Valley Morning Star this week, so I just learned about him, too.

Moosashi

Diabloii.Net Member
If you're beating people 64-0, do you even need a kicker? My high school team was ranked in the top 3 in the country for the 4 years I was there and their PAT/field goal kickers always sucked; I think I saw one go 1/10. But I don't think I ever saw them lose.