Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

613 million reasons why Europe is better

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jimmyboy, Mar 25, 2004.

1. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

613 million reasons why Europe is better

That is the magic number in $ Microsoft is liable for in Europe for its monopolistic practice. Looks like some one at Microsoft forgot to lobby the EU like they did to the Bush administration.

2. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Actually they were lobbying pretty hard, but the Europeans got turned off by Steve Ballmer talking louder and louder "because that'll make them understand English."

3. cyclotronic

cyclotronic IncGamers Member

Do you speak english?

no hablo engles

WHERES THE BATH ROOM?

no

BATHROOM?!

no

4. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

This hardly seems equitable to me, there's been some talk that the EU took into account MSFT's worldwide business practices and not just Euro zone practices when tallying the fine. If so I'd say they stepped outside of their jurisdiction, although this'll get tied up in appeals court until the year 2025 when MSFT will agree to sell two versions of their Win XP software. ;)

5. DurfBarian

More like this:

Ballmer: Please give up this antitrust thing.
    EU guy1: Je ne comprends pas.
    Ballmer (sweating profusely): GIVE UP THE SUIT.
    EU guy2: Que?
    Ballmer (running around room): DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS!

6. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Can I get a link. . .I have no idea what you are talking about.

7. jimmyboy

Though it may appear unfair at first, Many large Euro corps. are global, so their damages aren't limited to harm solely in the Euro zone.

As for the appeal, that could stay the damages, but the courts are compelling Microsoft to immediately release intellectual property. I hope Bill took his heart medication today, because how do you "give back" intellectual property if once everyone gets it?

8. jimmyboy

9. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

gosh, now americans will have to decide if they hate microsoft or the EU more.

win 98
    grrr
    the french
    grr
    win ME
    grr
    unfair airbus subsidies
    grr
    that really annoying paperclip thingy.
    grr
    um...okay we hate Microsoft more. Actually the french are really just annoying.

10. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Be that as it may, if they feel they've been damaged they should pursue their claims in their respective host countries. If you're doing business in India, you follow India's laws, even if you're a European company.

Second, we've already been through this with MSFT in the U.S, and the way they're currently doing business has been deemed legal under our laws, how can the EU fine a company based (partially) on their business practices in another country, when they are legal according to that country's laws?

edit: I'm no lawyer, but I'm fairly certain that during the appeal process MSFT won't be obligated to release their intellectual property.

11. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Thanks.

Well MS is just being its normal *****ing self again. They need to work for the greater good. Apple did it and I don't know of a single person who has used a Mac for a week or more and still "hated" it. Why? It talks to other systems nicer and will interface with other OSs nicely without a fuss, it even does it to some extent with Windows. Personally I think Windows is holding the advancement of technology because of it being so hardheaded about things. Microsoft isn't against everyone owning a computer and taking it with them everywhere they go so they can access the internet/do stuff, they just want everyone to have a Windows based machine. Why can't they realize they aren't the best for some peoples needs?

12. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

But they are the best for others...

If you have the knowledge, you can make a IBM do more that will specifically meet your needs than an Apple. An Apple is easier for the typical user, which is one thing most do not understand, however, there is much more versatility in using a IBM if you are into programming and things like that simply because of all the products that use IBM.

13. jimmyboy

I don't think jurisdiction works that way. Think how expensive it would be to file a civil action in 50 countries. The way it normally works is ... well... it will take a year of civil procedure and about 800 pages to explain.

As for the the second question, Europe is not under our laws. Our decisions are non-binding to Euro courts and vice-versa.

14. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know, and the point may not even be relevant if the EU didn't take into account world wide business practices.

While the EU isn't bound by American court decisions, a European company's U.S operations are.

15. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

i dunno. I have used both, i grew up on a mac, but i think the learning curve is about the same. the thing i think is annoying about macs is the lack of the right click. the lack of the scrolling mouse, and how to be profiecent you must learn a bunch of keyboard shortcuts...clicking on everything without rightclick takes too long.

Macs also force you to buy a whole new computer when all you want to change is one thing on the board. that irritates the hell outta me.

oh yeah and that whole external floppy drive is not cool. I know floppies don't hold much but they are still very prevalent. why have a zip and not have a floppy? no one has a zip anymore...not now that you can reburn cds, or just email stuff.

16. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Doesn't Gates carry that much in his wallet, anyways?

17. DurfBarian

It's mostly a matter of preference . . . You can buy a multibutton scrolling mouse and plug it in to a recent Mac and it just works. No drivers needed. I have a 5-button scroller at home and I like the middle-click-to-open-in-tab and all that stuff.

Even if you have an all-in-one iMac you can change the hard drive, put in more RAM, and change the CPU on some models. And the towers give you an AGP slot and PCI slots to play with as you please. I agree that they're less expandable/tweakable than an Intel box though. For the most part Apple makes them this way to avoid the driver conflict hell that DIY PC users go through.

Who the hell uses floppies? We're in the year 2004; get yourself a computer that can boot off of a CD and drop five bucks on a USB key drive.

Back to the topic at hand: Some articles I read said that EU laws provided for a fine up to 10% of the offending company's yearly income, which would have been over $3 billion in Microsoft's case.

18. Akira

Akira Member

Money fight!

19. DurfBarian

* pelts Akira with rolls of 500 yen coins *

20. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

MS actually has a possible solution to this. If the EU orders them to release some of its IP, MS could simply cease to do business with the EU. Change licensing agreements to forbid direct or indirect sales of MS products to EU member states.

If they no longer do any business in the EU, they wouldn't be subject to the EU's antitrust laws.