Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

600% MF, bad idea?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by thepopo, Feb 4, 2004.

1. thepopo

thepopo IncGamers Member

600% MF, bad idea?

I currently have almost 600% MF, i am up to 582%. I am able to do this with minimal slowing of my kill rate do to the fact that i am a wind druid. I don't die from elemental damage because my cyclone armor absorbs upwards of 2,000 points of damage. And considering my level 17 oak sage adds +145% extra life with skill bonuses I don't die from physical either. I have timed pit runs with full MF gear and with 400% MF gear. I do pit runs in 400% MF gear in about 7 minutes and in full MF i do them in 8-9 minutes. A minor loss for an extra 182%.

Or so i thought.

I recently read on the forums that after 400% MF my chance for my good uniques drops because they will always come up magical. Is this so? Am i kicking myself in the butt? Could the couple of blue//rare shakos i have seen have been more harlequin crests for me? It makes no sense to me that more MF would be a bad thing. Doesn't the roll for uniques and set happen before magical rolls? Please help. thanks

2. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

MF raises the % chance of an item being magical, rare, set or unique, it lowers the chance of it being white or grey. Higher MF does not lower chance to get uniques/set/rare/magical...

edit: don't believe every single thing you read here. Some people will say that "pits suck, I didn't find nothing there" others will say "pits are great, they just dropped me a windforce". It's all a matter of luck and % chance of this and that happening...

3. Daemonaz

Daemonaz IncGamers Member

I don't know about that but check the following link for more information on MF: http://diabloii.net/items/modifiers/magic-find.shtml#faq.

Also 8-9 minutes for a 1 player pitrun? That is rather slow. I do 8 player pitruns in about 5-7 minutes. You say you are not suffering much from the increase in MF, but to me it seems like you are. Also as you can see on the link I gave you, MF has diminishing returns, especially for uniques.

4. warlock_666

warlock_666 IncGamers Member

diminishing returns - i think this phrase is what you misunderstood. You say more mf gives you less chance of finding uniques / sets but this is wrong.
    Any extra mf % increases your chance to find uniques / sets but once you get past a certain mf% it affects the item quality less.

For example if i had 200% mf i have a 200% better chance of it being magic.
    if i increase to 400% mf it is only 300% better chance of being magic
    If i increase again to 800% mf i have only 400% better chance of it being magic

These figures are made up but you get the idea. If you were to draw a graph of mf % and what actually affects the drops it would be a convex curve. (this is diminishing returns).

5. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

Aye the golden rule of MF: Use as much Magic Find as possible without sacrificing your killing speed (much).

6. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

I think he knows what diminishing returns are, I do, and i have wondered the same thing. Yes, you have a higher chance of getting a unique with more mf, BUT, you have a MUCH higher chance of getting a rare, so is that 500% (making up numbers here) chance to get a RARE shako beating out that 200% chance to get a UNIQUE shako?

Even though you have a high chance to get a unique, is the %chance for a rare kicking in and "taking" the items and making them rare instead of unique?

I have the same question, and i dont know the answer, just trying to clarify the question :)

-Matt

7. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

The game rolls for unique first, then set, then rare, then magic. So more MF will never decrease your chances of finding a Unique item over a Set/Rare/Magical one.

8. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

gotcha now.

9. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

They are correct. Higher mf gives U a greater chance for uniques to drop. But as you get higher in mf, the smaller the increase increments. Peeps do well mfing w/ 350 - 500 mf.

Also consider this. With the popularity of runewords, those eth warpikes and 3 socket archons are now worth just as much as a good unique. The higher yer mf, the less chance you have in finding those....

10. thepopo

thepopo IncGamers Member

Ok, how about this then. I am going to continue collecting MF gear because come on. It's fun to see how much you can possibly get. Am i right? eh? eh?

But aside. How is this for MF now.

1 Harlequin Crest Shako (74% MF)
    1 Skullders Ire (136% MF)
    1 Gull Dagger (100% MF)
    1 Rhyme Shield (25% MF)
    1 Mage Fist (Cast Rate)
    1 Arachnid Mesh (Cast Rate and Skills)
    1 Luck Amulet (35% MF)
    1 Nagel Ring (29% MF)
    1 Stone of Jordan (Again, Skills)
    1 Aldur's Boots (Faster Run//walk)
    1 Gheeds Charm (38% MF)
    3 Other Charms (18% MF)

TOTAL Magic Find: 455%
    +skills retained: +5 to skills
    Average Damage from tornado now at skill level 25: 2,464-2,636
    Tornado damage with full gear at skill level 32: 3,641-3,859

Cast Rate With MF Gear on: +40%
    With Normal Gear on: +115%

What do you guys think? Any changes i should make?

I also have access to 40% Chancies. Another 23% Nagel Ring and 34% MF boots with no other mods. Any gear you would recommend besides enigma and//or heart of oak or ist'd stuff. Not that it's not good. But, i just don't have it.

Thanks for the help.

11. th5418

th5418 Banned

Well, if you dont have any killing issues, i dont see what is so bad about it. Sure, its obsolete after 400% IMHO. But the more the better eh?