Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

5th char can't use placeholder art?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

5th char can't use placeholder art?

This was mentioned in the mega 4th & 5th character thread, but I wanted to call particular attention to it. From the new Jay wilson 1up.com interview. Underline added for emphasis.

Okay, so they're using an NPC's graphics as placeholder art for the 4th char. I say that's got to be the basic NPC soldier; we've seen them using swords and bows, so perhaps the 4th char is the hybrid ranged attacker?

But why couldn't they use placeholder art for the 5th character? And what clues does this give us to the character types?

1. They only have the one NPC soldier artwork and it's in use for the 4th char.
    2. The 5th char has so many graphical effects to his skills that they can't represent it with existing NPC graphics
    3. The 5th char has some weird movement types; levitating or teleporting or blurring or something that they couldn't adequately represent with existing NPC graphics.
    4. The 5th char is a shape shifter whose skills and movements are too tied to his form to represent with existing NPC graphics.
    5. They don't want to make due with placeholder art so they're going to put the artists and animators on that while the rest of the team does other stuff.
    6. Other?

2. goisaakgo

goisaakgo IncGamers Member

Re: 5th char can't use placeholder art?

It could be some melee character whose attack artwork is necessary for the class, i.e. Monk or redo of the Assassin (with actual fighting moves).

3. Grug

Grug IncGamers Member

I think a combination of 3 and 4. This is very intriguing.

4. SoulSpectrum

SoulSpectrum IncGamers Member

Well, what about size of the character? Too big, too little?
    I don't know why, but I thought about a Hydrlisk.... lol?
    Also, there could be something passive about the characters appearance or natural traight that's special to gameplay. I don't know, this is stretching it far, but what about shadowed out character that enemies can't see. Or a levitating character.

5. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

A Shadowed out character or a Levitating character could be easily represented using any NPC model (For the first one, just tint the model. For the second, just draw the model floating above the ground).
    I think Shapeshifter would be the best explanation, with goisaakgo's idea of a Monk coming second.

6. redfox

redfox IncGamers Member

perhaps a halfling/gnome/dwarf which isn't close to what any NPC looks like

7. Leugi

Leugi IncGamers Member

It surely has to be for some technical thing... even if it were too big, small or floating or of hippy colors it could use any placeholder model... But if it were a shapeshifter or an animation based character then it isn't that easy...

My bets go on shapeshifter.

8. Knight_Wolf

Knight_Wolf IncGamers Member

I have to say a shape shifter class can be the main reason, shape shifting in general is a mechanic that could be expanded upon a lot in D3, and it could make a good reason why they can't use an NPC for the character art.

9. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

Im hoping its a shapeshifter too . And I had a guess Id say a werewolf / vampire is in the works ...

:thumbup:

10. Kalara

Kalara IncGamers Member

There has also been some discussion about the remaining two classes in this thread when the information about the graphic placeholders first came to light.

I am hoping for a dark paladin with demonic shapeshifting abilities for the 5th and an archer for the 4th.

11. Smash

Smash IncGamers Member

Because they have it only on paper, if i remember from 1up interview once they finish concept they will start on making it into game.

12. cpius

cpius IncGamers Member

How about a Necromancer type who summons creates to fight for him?

That can't be represented by a single placeholder, but perhaps by many.

The shapeshifter also seams likely. It certainly sounds interesting.

13. DrImp

DrImp IncGamers Member

Why use an existing NPC as placeholder art for the 4th class? I would guess it gives an adequate idea of the appearance and feel of the class.

So, why is existing NPCs art inadequate for the 5th class? I'd assume there is a wide range of NPCs by now, we've certainly seen some evidence of a few. However, all the NPCs are stock-standard humans... so maybe the 5th class isn't human for some, or all, of the time.

It seems likely the class will be largely defined by it's race, or it's shape (or ability to change shape). What I'd like it to be is an angelic character, like a lower rank Tyrael (spelling?).

14. Telzen

Telzen IncGamers Member

I've always though an exiled angel(low rank so he/she starts off weak) would be a great class. If not an angel though then at least a shapeshifter, and this time it needs realistic scary looing forms instead of how they looked in D2.

15. KLS

KLS IncGamers Member

paladin can't be dark by default :) if dark = its something else not pala

16. Mysterio

Mysterio IncGamers Member

I'd like something, preferably a Dwarf hunter from WoW,(I Love Warcraft). This should be the bow and arrow guy but with guns and bullets and with a pet(dont really care about the pet)

Dont flame at me.

17. DemolitionSquid

DemolitionSquid IncGamers Member

All classes will likely be base HUMAN. There have been no references or indications in the past two Diablo's that Dwarves, Elves, or Orcs exist in Sanctuary. There are however other minor sentient races - like the Sabercats from D2's Act 2.

Also:

Source: http://www.pyrouniverse.com/history.htm

Decard Cains journal places D1 around 1222, D2 around 1223, and D3 around 1243.

Thus it is completely realistic for gunpower and gunpowder explosives to have existed at the time. Guns (as we know them) might have existed at the time:

Source: http://riv.co.nz/rnza/hist/gun/firstgun.htm

But its unlikely they were used anytime before 1290.

18. Kalara

Kalara IncGamers Member

If you can have a fallen angel you can have a fallen paladin :)

19. teh_Thrasher

teh_Thrasher IncGamers Member

ewww please no guns and bullets. mega ultra ***. if i want guns and grenades id go play fps games...

"We're actually spending more time on the Witch Doctor, Wizard, and Barbarian because of a big change we made to the skill system that we wanted to [integrate them] with" (jay wilson)

well what actually caught my attention and not that bit about the placeholder art was the bit about the skills overhaul... id like to hear more about that

20. Leugi

Leugi IncGamers Member

Even if it were a brute four legged monster it wouldn't be difficult to find a placeholder model... A placeholder isn't so related to the appearance of a class, it's just for technical aspects, that's why it's a placeholder, not a 'mini-*add class name here*'. The only reason for not being able to use a placeholder model is because the class relies on its animations (whether they are shapeshifting or not) not because it isn't a human completely or it is an angel.