Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

50 reasons not to get Age of Conan

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Johnny, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Johnny

Johnny Banned

50 reasons not to get Age of Conan

So I was honestly thinking about geting age of conan. Reading all the official inormation made it seem like a good game. The class descriptions might have been a bit generous. Making every class seem like an omnipotent god feared by everyone. The only reason i did'nt buy it was because the download section for a digital purchase was down. I then decided to read the age of conan forums a bit and see for myself what people had to say. I started compiling customer feedbacks for a list to use myself but now it has grown so large that I certainly wont be geting the game and it turns out to be good advice for others aswell.

1. Loading screens everywhere

2. When talking to a person you go into "face to face" mode. Annoying. Why not make just regular chat without face to face chit chat?

3. Unnatural movement of charachters. (Like when fighting why are my legs sliding al over the place?)

4. Strange aggro system. Hmm so I pull a patrol far from a camp and get the patrol, 3 mobs from the camp (the 4th one doesn't seem to notice) and
    2 more coming through the walls (ghosts!!).

5. Demonologist pets. I mean, come on, scary evil demon guy with a sword which hits for 3 damage, 4 on crits.

6. Linear world, feels boxed in.

7. Lack of high level areas

8. Lack of quests at higher levels

9. Bugged crafting, not being able to change professions, bugged feats and stats..

10. Lack of end-game content

11. only one race to choose from (multiple cultures but only 1 race)

12. lack of armor variation

13. Gold spammers

14. Necromancers not working properly.

15. Heralds of Xoti not working properly

16. Assassins not working properly

17. Crafting not working properly.

18. Many stats/feats not working (basic functionality, come on)

19. Travel inconvenient, tedious and a major time sink. (You get no points for promising many hours of gameplay when most of it is spent traveling

20. Shared dungeons existing (like main system/cistern, Open instances for everybody at the same time...c´mon

21. Bugged bosses and mobs and general "unfinished" dungeons/quests.

22. Poor ability scaling - some abilities are too weak at either low level or high

23. No transport system over zones. I start to get realy anoyed by all the riding and loadingscreens. When the fastest way to travel is to die...its broken.

24. When you want to change char (play alt) you have to log out and in again.

25. Elite trash and bosses do to mutch damage with spells. Some Level 50 elite mobs can beat level 61 players in seconds

26. Frequent game crashes when zoning

27. Broken droprate on the gathering quests

28. Stability (Periodic freezing, apparent graphical corruption causing crashes and requiring a repatch)

29. You need to build a teir 3 city just to be able to craft some half decent gear

30. feats not being very descriptive

31. economics - there is no way you can have the money for a mount at level 40

32. Bugs, especially the traders bugs. Can't sell anything that has been on auction.

33. Zoning every crappy little area into a private instance EXCEPT dungeons with FFA bosses needed for quests.

34. NPC voice acting stops after Tortage

35. Lack of living economy

36. Patch information that hides certain changes and leaves players to find them

37. Stealth outdoor is based on time of day, not amount of light/shadow

38. Female characters doing 32% less DPS than males (crude attempt at realmism?)

39. Mounted combat not working whatsoever.

40. the drop of quests numbers after lvl 40

41. some places where mobs are packed too much resulting in chain reaction aggro

42. crapy class balance

43. grey map, HoX hair-bug, client crashes

44. Game frequently freezes after last patch

45. Stamina system: when sprinting, stamina drains in % not in numbers. However when mele classes fight. They lose stamina in numbers. stamina restoration potions restore in numbers. So a caster is better off with not increasing stamina. Meaning they can run more and get more from potions while mele classes have trouble keeping up because they have much more stamina but drains it at the same rate from sprinting but get less from potions.

46. moving backwards while a mele fighter is trying to attack you makes you almost immune to mele because you go out of range so much

47. spell classes can block which costs stamina but the7y only use stamina for sprinting while mele classes use it for nearly everything

48. When holding the mouse over an item to see it stats the stats have a tendancy to be shown off-screen so you cnat see them

49. The game market is heavily influenced and manipulated by the developers to a point where it has become compleatly inefficient

50. No option to hide capes. Everyone runs around with poorly designed. bright red cardboard capes

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  2. mixritpitlik

mixritpitlik IncGamers Member

Re: 49 reasons not to get Age of Conan

Good thing my Pc isn't capable of running the game. Spares me the frustration of buying a broken game...

3. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Re: 50 reasons not to get Age of Conan

I could see a lot of cynics using that list for WoW, too. And a lot of people love WoW.

4. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

Reason you need to chillax:

You edited the damn list to add another reason XD

5. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

please do not use that abomination of a word. please.

6. Johnny

Johnny Banned

They could... But not here.

In any case WoW have had alot of time to iron out alot of flaws while Age of Conan is funcoms desperate bid for the MMORPG throne. Sadly not even making a dent in world of warcrafts massive market share. Age of Conan was released too soon and some of it's flaws have to be writen off as poor game design and lack of imagination rather than be blamed on accidental errors.

Age of Conan was supposed to decend from the sky on a rainbow and blow WoW away but now it just turned out to be a big dissapointment.

7. P2blr

P2blr IncGamers Member

but how can you say both "chill" and "relax" any faster!?!?

8. Es Mors

Es Mors IncGamers Member

Did you find any positive customer feedback?

9. KremBanan

KremBanan IncGamers Member

19. Travel inconvenient

This is the reason I quit WoW. Takes forever to move around.

Johnny: Ok list. Good to know some of the negative things before a game. But what are the 50 reasons to get AoC?

10. s4nder

s4nder IncGamers Member

I bought AoC but have since also given up. Looks like it could use another year of polishing and then still be fundamentally flawed.

Trying Vanguard now, huge open world which is refreshing but it's got its own issues.

11. mince pies

mince pies IncGamers Member

Not necessarily a flaw imo. DII only has one race to choose from but that's still a great game

12. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Diablo 2 also only has 1 gender per class, 2d graphics. unreversable skills and as the text book defenition of linear.

Not to mention it's old. We are now 10 years in the future and we strive for more.

But atleast diablo 2 did'nt pretend to have more than 1 race. Age of Conan claims to have 3 races but they are all humans in 3 different cultures.

13. Crowd Control

Crowd Control Banned

I think I'll just stick to swinging that crowbar. Nothing beats simplicity.

14. AeroJonesy

Last time I checked, race was one of the biggest differences between humans.

15. Coldsmoke

Coldsmoke IncGamers Member

Thats the best point I've seen someone make ever:p

16. Johnny

Johnny Banned

3 different human races in a game is just lazy 3d modeling. The elder scrolls for example have black people, northen europeans, "bretons" and "imperials" as 4 different races even though they are all just plan ol humans. But we forgive them because after that they also have orcs, cat people, lizard people, and 3 flavors of elf.

but Aoc. 3 humans? come on.

17. AeroJonesy

Or perhaps they are sticking to the Conan universe that was created quite a few decades ago.

18. Johnny

Johnny Banned

The conan universe is so old it might actualy have been writen in real time and they are about 30 years too late to cash in on it.

They should try something more modern...

Like mayby a... Desperate housewives MMORPG.

or an Indiana Jones MMORPG.

Whatever sony thinks of. They Sqeeze out 3 crapy MMORPG's everyday before breakfast then slap on a star wars and matrix sticker and have it out in the stores by lunch.

19. Rashiminos

Rashiminos IncGamers Member

I was going to write some counterpoints having never played AoC, but US-Barbados is in 5 minutes.

So I will be concise for now.

Quit whining for more worthless stuff (euphemistically).

20. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

I think all of these relate to WoW as well. I removed the 'mount money at 40' but with the caveat that "your first time through, you won't have the money". But after you've been around the block once or twice, you'll have more than enough.

* NPC voice acting does not exist in WoW, for those who don't know