Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

4th or 5th class guesswork

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Valamyr, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Valamyr

Valamyr IncGamers Member

4th or 5th class guesswork

With three classes known so far, speculation on the last two can begin...

I suspect Blizzard will want at least one of the two remaining classes to be original and brand-new. I'm suspecting in this equation that a rogue-like character/archer is unavoidable, and that paladins have been relegated to Hireling status.

Lets post our ideas of what the next "really" new class could be!

Personally, I feel removing the Necromancer left open the niche for a "Dark" class that the Witch Doctor just doesn't fill as well, zombie walls or not. Vampires are ever-popular in fantasy, fiction and gaming, and I think Blizzard might want to introduce a vampiric or half-vampiric hero - with of course his own reasons to battle Diablo, as the Necromancer had.

We've seen so far that Blizzard was willing to cherry pick from the old classes when writing the new skillsets, and the Wizard already tapped into the Druid's elementalism tree. A potential Vampiric character could draw on the non-trap parts of the Assassin's repertoire, include a variety of paladin-inspired negative auras (Debuffs for foes, ala Convinction, rather than party buffs), and of course, it's own variety of blood-based powers, presumably with lifetaps, group health management, and sun-blocking powers. (Cloak of Darkness to prevent taking damage when outdoors at day, for example.) This vampire could have limited power to control undead, thus helping appease those who yearn for a return of the Necromancer, as well. (Though certainly not on the scale of old necros.)

What are your own ideas?

2. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Re: 4th or 5th class guesswork

Well, let's look:

1. We have a brute melee archetype.
    2. We have a summoner/support/curse caster archetype.
    3. We have a spellcaster/spellfighter archetype (Wizards look like good melee).

4. We will get a ranged physical combat archetype; possibly hybridized like Amazons were.

5. That leaves us with shapeshifter, melee agility fighter, stealth class, etc. archetypes.

3. HRP

HRP IncGamers Member

Ranger:

Long distance, physical damage. Possibly accompanied by a wolf or dog or some kind of 'partner', replacing the Amazon's Valkyrie. Also proficient in melee combat with daggers or short swords, relying on assassin-like techniques. Also makes use of traps and ways to affect mobs ability to perform at 100%.

4. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

I hope not. We have enough DnD in form of Wizard. Plus, if you think WoW comparisons are bad now, think what this renamed Hunter will do.

5. HRP

HRP IncGamers Member

Shrug. I think that kind of class would be fun in an action-rpg setting.

6. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Can't counter that -_-.

Altough I would prefer an essentially Assassin character who replaced the MA tree with an archery tree. Archers with pets is too, limiting...

7. gutemba

gutemba IncGamers Member

IF
    there is a ranger with the similar skills wof the hunter form WoW
    I will just say
    "no way WowBlo III comes out soon"

8. gutemba

gutemba IncGamers Member

but
    I really wanna know witch are the other classes
    theres gotta be an archer so maybe....
    i really dont know
    but the ranger idea suckz
    lol

9. visom

visom IncGamers Member

Tracker- range fighter trained to hunt down assigned targets. Skilled in bows and daggers, and uses ingenious tools to aid them in fights.
    Armaments: Bows, daggers, tools (tools are basically traps however it also serves non offensive purposes)

Bow skills:
    -Rapid fire: slightly reduces attack power but greatly increases attack speed for a short duration
    -fatal shot: passive skills that allows the tracker a chance to one-hit kill any non-boss, non-unique monster
    -Neutralize: active skills that gives the tracker the ability to immobize a group of monsters
    -Bow mastery: increases accuracy and damage with a bow, also slightly increases chance of fatal shot

Dagger skills:
    -Swift stroke: increase dagger attack speed for short duration
    -magic dagger: throws an ethereal form of your dagger that deals 50% of your dagger's original damage
    -hamstring: passive skill that gives dagger a chance of slowing an enemy's movement and attack speed

Tools:
    -caltrops: throws a small handful of caltrops on the ground, any enemies that steps on it will have their movement speed reduced and take minor damage
    -wrist hook: each time the tracker attacks with a dagger, the wrist hook as a small chance of grabbing the enemy's items/gold
    -flare: throws a small rod of fire at a target location, temporary greatly illuminating the area, can also blind and reduce the accuracy of any enemies that strays too close to the rod

Basically the tracker is part amazon part assassin

No I didn't copy HRP, I didn't notice our ideas are similar under after i finished my post =\

10. LaZeR

LaZeR IncGamers Member

I speculated the first char will be reaveled before the second one.

Anyway, after the Druid I can say I will be very disappointed if the isn't any shapeshifting ability.
    If some king of Archer has to take one and very boring spot the last char should be either something intirely unique or at have Paladin and shape shifting skills (shamelessly advertising my Half Breed idea in the Character & Skills Forum)

11. gutemba

gutemba IncGamers Member

how about a exorcist with 3 skill trees( too much supernatural)
    as
    exorcism:
    ability to deal and have extra protection agains certain tipes of monsters possetions : by bonding unicaly with his exorcised spirits he can acquire some of it powers like become half demom or half undead for piriods of time
    holy man: grants healing abilities and party auras such as defence life willpower and other buffs

12. CTH

CTH IncGamers Member

demon hunter is my guess. Would fit in pretty good as a replacement of the paladin and still pretty dark. Like the WC3 demon hunter. We will prob get a melee with some magic, and a bow char.

13. Bad Ash

Bad Ash IncGamers Member

why not something similiar to Vincent from FF7? I do like the vampire idea, and whenever Vincent had a limit break, he would morph into a demon. A demon shifter would be pretty cool.

oooooooh, there IS night, what about a werewolf? Too much like a druid? haha...yeah def. is, but you couldnt control when you shifted, it would be at night..

14. zionhuyga

zionhuyga IncGamers Member

I would say some kind of monk. They did talk about possible fist weapons somewhere and if they're not going to copy the assassin straight from D2, then it's probably going to be a monk.

The monk could be a hybrid assassin/paladin (oxymoron here) with martial arts skills and auras.

Skills:

Positive Auras - Auras that help one's own side, maybe a splash of healing/helping spells as well

Radiance - adds light radius (unnecessary with the rainbows everywhere but whatever) and increases AR of everyone around you, grants elemental resistances
    Harmony - thorns and physical damage reduction
    Willpower - IAS and run/walk speed
    Strength - damage and defense increase
    Regeneration - spell to heal allies over time
    Cleansing - spell to cure poison/curses

Negative Auras - Auras that hinder enemies, perhaps including some damaging/harming spells

Sanctity - undead has AR cut and lowered resistances
    Calming Presence - animals less aggressive with chance to flee and have lower defense
    Faith - demons less damage and knocked back and lower physical resists
    Redemption - fallen enemies stay fallen and you heal for each undead/demon slain
    Holy Fire - spell that deals fire damage and extra magic damage to demons and undead
    Exorcise - spell that damages demons and gives chance to destroy undead

Martial Arts - Focus on punches rather than kicks unlike the assassin

Leap of Faith - Barbarian leap without knockback
    Wings of Faith - Leap and continue to jump in air for a few times
    Focus Punch - Knockback and damage target, chance to stun
    Focus Swing - Knockback, stun and damage area
    Focus Blow - Huge damage on single target with lowered AR

15. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

I think visom's idea sounds about right. I'm thinking a class called "Thief". Not really the rogue at all from d1 who, let's face it, was barely a rogue at all save for the detect/remove trap ability.

Given that "wizard" is genderless and VERY generic/archtypical, I figgure "thief" is also genderless and generic, so it might be the next class. So I'm thinking of daggers, bows, hand crossbows, caltrops, throwing, and a ton of more thief related skills like gold find, poison use, stealth, backstab, invisibility, etc.

As for vampires, that would not sit well with me. I'm tired of necros being apparent good guys or neutral, and werewolves also being good guys. Come on, I shouldn't have to stetch my imagination so much to picture a rightous werewolf or vampire. Vampires are about the most evil possible monster there is. Just my opinion there, but I want things to make a little more sense in d3. Werewolves and vampires would crack a beer with Diablo.

16. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

Barb = Berserker
    WD = Rider
    Wizard = Caster

??? = Saber
    ??? = Archer
    ??? = Lancer
    ??? = Assassin

17. TheReadMenace

TheReadMenace IncGamers Member

Thief: Sure. Just reminds me of the original Final Fantasy. Not necessarily a bad thing. I really think class #4 will be the ranged trapper/hunter/thief/whatever.

I understand your point about vampires, but all I gotta say is: Alucard. IMO, SotN is tied with Super Metroid for best item-collecting platformer, and Alucard is the shiznit. Using examples from the game means the character could include all the shapeshifting abilities people are looking for along with the proficient melee and magic skills all wrapped into an uber package. Really, if you give a half-vampire a good back story, I think it'd fit in well.

But I also believe that a fallen angel would be a good character, and just about everyone here has scoffed at the idea, so... :rolleyes: Ignore me, I guess! :thumbup:

18. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

Maybe the barb is the "dark" character. He looks really, really broken down and corrupt after losing his mountain that supposedly held all his honor. IIRC, his ultimate glory is to be burried in mount Arreat, which is toast now.

19. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Being old is "corrupt" now?

20. Elric-Logain

Elric-Logain IncGamers Member

They are designing these classes based primarily around archetype + common playstyles. Many of the classes that have been proposed seem primarily designed around thematic novelty concepts and less so on playstyles, which is one of the easy means by which game designers are able to differentiate classes.

The barbarian provides a heavy emphasis on physical offensive martial prowess. We have seen the barbarian primarily either dual-wielding or with a two-handed weapon.

The developers described the witchdoctor as being more of a passive-aggressive caster. It summons pets, diseases, and skills akin to curses. As has been pointed out numerous times before, the witchdoctor is similar in flavor to both the necromancer and the druid.

The wizard is a straight-up magical nuker, which is a playstyle that the developers wanted to make sure was in the game. There is more of an old-fashioned sword and sorcery feel to the wizard that on the arcane over the elemental.

I'm expecting that one the revealed classes will be a sword and board warrior. The S&B is a common warrior playstyle that often sacrifices offensive capabilities for greater defense and survivability by using a sword and shield. When the D1 warrior was split between the barbarian and paladin, it was the paladin which emulated the S&B playstyle. I do not think that Blizzard will necessarily recycle another class name directly, so it will probably not be the paladin per se, but one of the other unrevealed classes will be a melee sword and board warrior of some variety. Of course, a D&D style cleric or battle priest could also fit in this mold. In some ways, this is what the paladin was, but in D3 they could make the magical melee warrior more interesting and unique than they did with the D2 paladin and his one attack skill + aura.