Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

4th class - "Arcane Warrior" (working name) ifra

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Technomancer, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Technomancer

Technomancer IncGamers Member

4th class - "Elemental Warrior" (working name)

*NOTE: This is a pretty large overhaul on the original idea, which I kept in quotes at the bottom. This class is now something of a D2 combination of Paladin, Amazon, and Assassin. This is pretty much a full class now, without technical game stats.

Background:
    Upon the destruction of the Worldstone 20 years ago, a Vizjerei elder concluded that the mortal powers of Order had failed. Secretly, he went to the Viz-Jaq'taar Assassins to share his concerns and make a proposal. Even though the Prime Evils were defeated, mortal powers and agents were still not powerful enough to save the Worldstone. He feared that following it's destruction, things would get worse and proposed that the Assassin's lack of magic was weakness, that the time would soon come to fight fire with fire. He suggested that they should begin to incorporate magic to counter the coming flood. He was rejected outright by most of the clan, and nearly slain on principle, but one Assassin elder had reached a similar conclusion, but didn't know how to act upon it. With this opportunity, he stole away with the Vizjerei elder and a few of the younger clan members, to work on combining their knowledge and powers to create a new breed of mage-knight. Once the Viz-Jaq'taar realized what had transpired, they decreed death for all violators, but the group dissappeared and no one had heard from them to this day. All knowledge of what had transpired was hidden.

They spent years hidden away from the world in the northern reaches near the ruined Mt. Arreat. They honed their skills, focusing less on subversion and more on direct confrontation. From the Assassin's understanding of the mind and martial combat and the Vizjerei elder's understanding of the Elemental magics, a marriage was made into magically enhanced warriors. This combination of studies gave special insights into the nature of the world and gave these new warriors the power to tap into the very elemental threads that are woven into our world and weave them into their own bodies and equipment. They also gained some insight into exploring the Ether. They spent a great deal of time developing methods of countering and diffusing hostile magicks and it's practitioners, as per Assassin tradition, up close and at range. They also knew, however, that the demonic hordes need not rely on magic to reek their destruction, so great emphasis was also placed on raw combat power and fortitude.

With the coming of the falling star, they knew that their time had arrived. They re-emerged into the world to discover what foul forces were involved. While two of the apprentices were away doing reconnaissance, their base of operations was utterly destroyed. Most were killed, the rest were missing. The elders were not among the remains, nor were there any clues as to the perpetrators. Had the Assassins finally caught up to them? Was it the mustering forces of evil? The two apprentices had no answers, but were determined to fulfill their duties. They ventured into the world on their own to discover what evil schemes plotted against Sanctuary and to put it to an end... or die trying...

--------

Skills:
    Base level Enchantment skills are cast by the character and last until overridden with new Enchantments or dispelled. They can be passively augmented with more spectacular effects with different skills. Can have only 1 Weapon and 1 Armor Enchantment active at a time. When special effects are triggered, they automatically drain mana, and if there is no mana, effect is cancelled.

Steel & Fire: This tree focuses on speed and raw destructive output. Uses Fire and Lightning. "A good defense is a good offense."

Tier I:
    • Burn: Active. Enchants Weapon. Adds fire damage to attacks and increases accuracy. Enables additional Fire Weapon Enchantments.
    • Jolt: Active. Enchants weapon. Adds electrical damage to attacks and increases attack speed. Enables additional Lightning Weapon Enchantments.
    • Lightning Spirit: Passive. Increase attack speed and accuracy.
    • Channeling the Flame: Passive. Increases damage done by Enchantments in this tree.

Tier II:
    • Twitch: Active. Missile attack. Essentially a Missile based Zeal or fixed # Strafe.
    • Flame Armor: Active. Enchant Armor. Deal fire damage to any melee attackers. Enables additional Fire Armor Enchantments.
    • Flame Spray: Passive. Enchants Weapon. Adds a chance to cause a spherical firewall centered on target.
    • Lightning Rod: Passive. Enchants Weapon. When enemy is struck, a lightning bolt goes from character thru target. Can trigger multiple bolts from one attack. More useful for multiple missiles against clustered enemies.
    • Missile Mastery: Passive. Increases Damage, Accuracy, and Crit. % of Missile attacks.

Tier III:
    • Sweep: Active. Melee attack. Spins once in a circle, striking any surrounding enemies within range.
    • Flame Sabres: Active. Spell. Creates floating swords made of fire that seek targets to attack and deal fire damage. They stay around until attacked and destroyed.
    • Flame Nova: Passive. Enchants Weapon. Can triggers a fire based nova from target. Increasing rank increases size of effect.
    • Chain Static: Passive. Enchants Weapon. Causes electrical damage to target that jumps to any units next to them, etc, etc, quickly rippling through tightly packed enemies.
    • Conflageration: Passive. Enchant Armor. When hit, has a chance of causing the ground around the character to burst into fire for xx seconds.

Tier IV:
    • Ricochet: Active. Missile attack. When a target is struck, the arrow jumps to the nearest target. Everytime a target is struck, the arrow keeps retargetting up to a skill based maximum or until it misses one.
    • Thunderclap: Passive. Enchants Weapon. When attacking, has a chance of calling down a lightning bolt on top of character, knocking all foes back next to character and dealing damage.
    • Burst: Passive. Enchants Armor. When an enemy attacks, has a chance of causing explosive fire damage to targets adjacent to character, knocking them back.
    • Fire Elemental: Passive. Activates if Burn or Jolt and Flame Armor are active. Transforms into a Fire Elemental, dealing extra fire and increasing Fire and Lightning damage. Also, absorbs fire damage.

Pax Arcanna: This tree focuses on penetrating and neutralizing hostile magics and magicians. Uses skills that interfere with magic, and uses teleportation offensively and defensively. "What good is magic if you're unable to use it?"

Tier I:
    • Displace: Active. Melee attack. On striking, teleport to another random position next to target. The confusion enhances your defense for x seconds. Has a 3 second cooldown.
    • Spellbind: Active. Enchants weapon. Has a chance to silence target. Enables additional Magical Weapon Enchantments.
    • Resist Affliction: Passive. Decreases the chance that negative condition magics can affect character, like chill, slow, silence, etc. and also decreases the duration of such effects if they get through.
    • Enhanced Spellbinding: Passive. Increases the duration of all effects caused by skills from this tree.

Tier II:
    • Dispel: Active. Spell. Sends out a shockwave that will dispel any negative magic effects on friendly units.
    • Mystic Fortress: Active. Enchants armor so that when attacked, fires a silence bolt at attacker. Enables additional Magical Armor Enchantments.
    • Interference: Passive. Enchants weapon to inflict a condition that causes target's casting rate to be greatly decreased.
    • Skip: Passive. Enchant Armor. When attacked, has a chance of teleporting to a random location within range. Could be annoying to some players, but to those who thrive on chaos, welcome home! Could be a particularly useful defense for range-based characters. Will not teleport through walls or closed doors.
    • Arcane Defenses: Passive. Increases resistance to arcane magics.

Tier III:
    • Summon: Active. Spell. When cast on a target, causes them to be teleported right next to caster. Doesn't work on bosses or other characters.
    • Short Circuit: Active. Spell. Cast on a single target. Caster loses half and target loses all mana, adjusted for Arcane resistance. (may not be very relevant, because they may not keep track of enemy mana. PvP uses would be neat-o.)
    • Blood Price: Passive. Enchant Weapon. Adds mana damage and inflicts a condition on target that causes any abilities that drain Mana to drain an equal amount of Health as well.
    • Absorb Magic: Passive. Enchants armor. Has a chance of absorbing spells cast at character, eliminating damage and restoring however much mana that skill cost.
    • Enhanced Evocation: Passive. Increases chances that any Weapon or Armor Enchantments will activate.

Tier IV:
    • Shift Stirke: Active. Melee. Quickly teleport next to an enemy, attack, then zips back to her original location. If hit, she's stuck where she's at.
    • Disruption: Active Spell. Sends out a shockwave that destroys any enemy spells, offensive or defensive, within the given radius. Does not affect friendly units (ie. use Dispel to get rid of negative effects).
    • Tiamat: Passive. Enchants weapon. Adds elemental damage of fire, cold and lightning to attacks. Enhanced by Burn, Jolt, and Frostbite. Only works if Spellbind is active.
    • Reflect: Passive. Enchants armor to have a chance of reflecting magics cast at character.
    • Efficient Evocation: Passive. Decreases mana costs incurred when Enchantment effects trigger.

Terra Firma: This tree focuses more on defense and fortitude. Attacks are based on strength more than speed. Uses Stone/Earth and Cold. "The mountain need not fear the storm." (Note: Earth elemental skills are only called that for conceptual reasons and cause physical damage, not an "earth elemental" damage type. That is, unless Blizzard adds that.)

Tier I:
    • Ethereal Anchor: Active. Missile attack. A successful attack can anchor the foe in place, unable to move, but can still attack. Doesn't work on bosses or other players.
    • Frostbite: Active. Enchants Weapon. Adds cold damage to attacks and chills targets. Enables additional Cold Enchantments
    • Immovability: Passive. Decreases the chance that any effect can cause the character to move against his will, ie. knockback effects.
    • Quenching the Flame: Passive. Increases damage done by Enchantments in this tree.

Tier II:
    • Stone Guardian: Active. Spell. Creates a floating fist of stone that randomly attacks nearby foes. Certain runes may add Knockback.
    • Rockform: Active. Enchants Armor. Increases Defense and Damage Reduction. Enables additional Stone Enchantment.
    • Project Cold: Passive. Enchants Weapon. Chills enemies within a given radius.
    • Inertia: Passive. Causes attacks to physically pack more force. Increases physical damage and with Missile attacks, increases the distance the missiles will travel.
    • Melee Mastery: Passive. Increase Damage, Accuracy, and Crit. % of Melee attacks.

Tier III:
    • Torque: Active. Melee or missile attack. Slower attack, but does much more damage. If missile, it travels faster (if engine supports that).
    • Stalagmite: Active. Spell. Summons a spike of solid rock from the earth at the desired location. Any enemies nearby take physical damage and pillar remains as an obstacle until destroyed.
    • Icicle: Passive. Enchants Weapon. Has a chance of causing a giant Icicle to fall on target, causing splash damage to nearby foes.
    • Attunement: Passive. Increases resistance to fire/ice/lightning.

Tier IV:
    • Anvil of the Earth: Melee attack. Crushing attack with cooldown time that does highly increased damage to target and nearby targets.
    • Ice Shield: Active. Spell. Creates a literal shield made of solid ice. If a shield is being used, it enhances it defenses and blocking. Without a shield, it floats near caster and confers double the blocking bonus that Ice Shield adds to a shield and can be used with 2-handed weapons.
    • Jagged Shards: Passive. Enchants Armor. Causes sharp rock protrusions to spring from armor, causing physical damage on melee attackers. Against missile attacks, has a chance of shattering the missile, causing no damage. Against attackers that have weapon Durability (ie. PvP), has an equal chance of reducing Durability of attackers melee weapon by one.
    • Earth Elemental: Passive. Activates if Frostbite and Rockform are both active. Transforms into Stone. Makes Earth and Ice skills do more damage, adds defense. Also, adds resistances to cold and lightning.

Arcane Warrior in DiabloWiki.

ORIGINAL:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  2. LucianDK

LucianDK IncGamers Member

Re: 4th class - "Arcane Warrior" (working name)

If you check out the Wizard's skills, they already have a lot of short range possibilities to build as, effectively making them an arcane warrior.

Check out the Conjuring tree. http://www.diablowiki.net/Conjuring_Skill_Tree

I could easilly foresee it like, buff up with magic weapon, mirror images and an armor spell, then wading in and slashing your foes with spectral blades and autoattacks. And when everyone is balled up around you, let loose with pbaoe spells.

3. jakotaco

jakotaco IncGamers Member

Yeah, when I heard the name I thought of the many melee skills given to the wizard. However reading the skill descriptions it seems to be quite different. Elemental Warrior would probably be more correct as you seem to be using pretty much every element but arcane. :)

I guess it took you some time (but it is rather fun to come up with ideas like this, I've done it a few times as well). Well written, not often someone's first post has a layout this easy to follow. Welcome :wave:

4. Technomancer

Thanks! Yeah, I kinda spaced the Wizard's Conjuring tree, been a while since I looked through that stuff. It really is an elemental warrior, and it does differ from that part of Wizard because it's coming from the other angle. With the proper skills like armor enchantments, this guy could readily stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the Barb on the front lines.

Yeah, I've come up with all kinds of classes and skills and stuff over the years. I've got pages (and pages) of skills, skill systems, character systems, classes, etc. Haha! When I was in Jr. High, I tried (and I REALLY tried) to come up with my own entire D&D world... *shivers*

I've played D2 online since 1.09 and I've lurked on here off and on. I'd be a notorious lurker throughout the Internet... if only anyone knew... :D

5. LucianDK

LucianDK IncGamers Member

Neat concept yes, but it is really too close to what the Wizard is offering to be a self sufficient class.

6. Chorkstain

Chorkstain IncGamers Member

I agree with the above. There's too much of a focus on area damage for this character to be different. The Amazon in Diablo 2 was a failure since she was doing the same thing as a Sorceress, we don't need a repeat!

7. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

I bag you pardon? the amazons is one of the best characters in diablo II. It may have some similarities with a sorcerer yet it offers combination with very different skills that make her have a very unique feel.
    And once they fix the fend bug, things will only get better.

8. KnS

KnS IncGamers Member

Seems epicly overpowered haha... Having Fire, Ice and lightning in 1 tree?
    That seems a bit easy for hell...
    But i do love the idea of a Pally/Zon mix because they were my 2 fav classes in D2

9. PahaLukki

PahaLukki IncGamers Member

Do keep in mind the game will have totally different balance than D2. Do we even know for sure there will be immunes as much for the above to be unbalancing? Or that the prevailing damage types are fire, ice and lightning? For example, what damage type is Disintegrate?

I kind of like the idea as it reminds me of my current clvl 29 warrior on D1. Though he casts direct damage spells like chain lighting and fireball, but also utility like teleport and healing. I haven't tried telekilling yet as I just acquired teleport. On the tactical side is fire wall which works very well in D1 for a melee warrior. Both to surround yourself in flames to keep melee mobs surrounding you take damage, or to paint ranged attackers in flames and just watch them die. Fire wall is also excellent to aid in retreating. The AI is also careful in entering the flames so sometimes fire wall is a good crowd restraint. Golems can work as decoy, though I haven't acquired that yet. And you can throw guardians in rooms full of nasty monsters like black deaths.

However what works in D1 wouldn't necessarily work in a skill point system. In D1 you can be a secondary caster warrior without losing any melee ability. Most likely in a skill-point system you will be forced to focus on some melee skill like zeal or a passive skill, which takes you away from casting, and thus you will end up having a character that is always either pure melee-based or pure casting-based. Or do you see hammerdins or FoH paladins ever go melee? Or see zealers cast hammers or FoH to any effect? That's right...

But somehow I get the feeling that Blizzard has already made their decision on the remaining classes, and are just holding out that info..

10. Drakk

Drakk IncGamers Member

Great post, love the idea of an elemental warrior. The problem with trying to predict the future "warrior" class is that every class will have multiple Area of Effect skills. This makes me think that if there is a warrior-type class it will have to have a focus on atleast one element in order to get the AoE skills. You've provided some really good ideas, so many in fact that I think you could pull the remaining two classes out of this idea. An archer and warrior, both with different types of elemental skills for the AoE.

11. Technomancer

Heh, yeah, it's a bit overpowered... :strong: I originally made it to be a sort of "one-man death-machine". Hmm, I mentioned in the intro that fire could be a good focus, maybe focus the skills more on fire with... lightning as a secondary? I actually felt awkward when trying to squeeze in ice skills anyways. At that rate though, Elemental Warrior might not be the most accurate fit anymore, but I'd want a better name than that anyway!

I changed it up a bit. I renamed it, ditched most of the ice skills, added 3 skills: 'Flame Nova', 'Spark', and 'Torque', and I bailed on Pierce since Ricochet is more innovative and overlaps in usefulness.

I would really like to see immunities done away with, at least for the most part. In D2 they don't really make sense. A Fallen is immune to Fire, but BIG D isn't? What? Seriously?! For real?!?! WTF!!! :banghead:

And yeah, I'm sure that at the very least, the 4th character is already solidly decided, and the 5th prolly isn't far behind. There's always the destined expansion pack. ... Actually, I'd be surprised if there aren't at least 2 xpacs. That's what they're doing with SC2 and their more recent games. 9-10 classes anyone? :alright:

12. LaZeR

LaZeR IncGamers Member

I REALLY like this idea.
    However, your Weapon&Shield Enchantments trees feels too much of a passive D2 tree, which doesn't really fit D3 trees (that are based more on the idea of combining passive&active spells of all kinds).

IMO, you should keep the Elemental Warrior name- throw in Ice skills and even some Poison skills- and remake your trees to:
    Weapon Tree - Which will include your Weapon Echantments Tree Skills and some of your melee-weapon-based skills from the Weapon Tree like Twitch and Sweep
    Shield Tree- Which will include your Shield Enchantments Tree Skills and some of your Weapon Tree skills that will work for as shield-attacks like Lunge
    Bow Tree- Which will include Bow skills from your Weapon Tree Skills, like Magic Arrow and Ricochet.

As for Shift-Strike and Displace, which I think are awesome, you can scatter them in any Tree you want to.

I think this fits more of D3 idea for having a more varied Trees. Plus, this solves both the Range and the Shield-User char suggestions.

~ Just realised how much I wrote, so just to make things clear- I'm not trying to re-make you char ^^ ~

13. Technomancer

Wow! I feel humbled at having this guy/gal put in the Wiki!:party: Pretty sweet for a board noob!

I do see what you're talking about the layout not entirely meshing with the D3 skill tree approach. I'm obviously more fluent in the D2 skill trees, and it naturally fell in that way. I had thought about splitting the melee and missile skills into separate trees, but I was really into the idea of having universal weapon enchantments where attack type is irrelevant. I thought that would add an element of exploration, where some enchantments would operate better/more interestingly under one attack form or another, and also allow full customization to a dedicated melee or missile character. The shield tree makes sense, but might need a few more 'activities'. Regardless, there is a major shortage of passives... well if you consider the enchantments active. I suppose they are somewhere in between. And if I were to break them up like that, I would probably call them Sword, Bow, and Armor skills, I always imagined this ones primary melee weapon as a sword. I may consider going that route... Actually, I think reclassifying Armor Enchantments as just Armor Skills would be a good idea anyways.

I wonder if there will be an Earth element? I was wondering about earth based skills, but really, they either would be truly defensive, or the damage would be considered physical anyways. I'd originally put ice skills in, but I couldn't really think of anything super-neat, and it felt kinda forced, so I've considered taking it out or making it more minor. I was also afraid of making too many 'castable' skills, cause I felt like it would play to much like a caster. I suppose I could make a lot/all of the enchantments 'use skill per attack', but it takes some of the point out of it and again makes it something more of a caster.

Hmm, I need to think on it a bit.
    ~Input is always welcome!~:thumbup:

14. LaZeR

LaZeR IncGamers Member

Well, I've found that making inputs point by point is easier to read so:

1. I agree with Sword, Shield and Bow Trees. I even sounds cool- Like a Master of Combat. However, Sword is just too limiting. I want people to have the option of using Hammer or Mace, so Weapon is more varied.

2. I actually do consider the Enchantment as Passives, even if the need a bit of work to become a real Passive. But Passives are without question the easiest skills to make- Enchance dmg, speed, number of charges etc. No real problem.

3. I'm actually against splitting Melee and Missle. That's IMO is against D3 concept. I think Shield and Weapon should have some sort of Missle skills, as well as Bow Tree should have melee ones (maybe like shooting an arrow down to the ground which explodes on impact?).

4. I see the fear of him being too much of a Caster. But I must say I don't agree. If Enchantments will be more "buffed" like D2 Enchant and his Active Skills will focus on melee or missle without magic/elemental side (maybe have the elemental aspect come from Passives?), it would be far from your typical Caster.

5. I see what you were trying to get with the Enchantments, but as I said, having a tree of them is too D2. Maybe not however :) It doesn't matter anyway since It's just an idea in a forum ^^

6. I think all the Elements has been shown already. But this can easily change.

I actually think this can be an AMAZING character. And Congratz on making it into the Wiki (=

15. lunarleif

lunarleif IncGamers Member

The whole idea sounds cool. What I don't understand is that you are drawing from already existing skills. It would be nice if you made skills up and innovated. Exception: Teleportation skills.

16. Technomancer

I made a pretty massive overhaul on the Arcane Warrior, and decided to keep that name. It's pretty much a fully fleshed out class now. I re-edited my original post, but left the original idea in quotes at the bottom.

Hope everyone likes it, I took it into a more specific direction and I added a story. I feel like I got a decent grasp of the D3 skill tree setup and implemented it. Thanks for helping me think outside my box everyone, particularly you LaZeR!

17. LaZeR

LaZeR IncGamers Member

You're welcome :)
    I haven't been able to read your update properly yet, but two comments:

1. Too many Actives. What I actually like about D3 is that there are few active spells in each tree (1,2,3,2 usually) that defines the char and the tree. So I think you need to narrow the list so you really get what's your char is about and increase that feeling by passives that relate to the Tree theme.

2. Oddly enough, as time passes I find myself loving your old build more and more. I don't know why, but the "1 Tree for boosting damage, 1 Tree for boosting defense and 1 Tree to execute them all" concpet sounds brilliant. Maybe not D3-like, but still, it can be made into D3 if you make Enchantments Active and throw in some Passives skills.

I'll get back to you when I finish reading the whole post.

18. Technomancer

I thought you considered the Enchantments to be passive?! lol!

I think I know what you mean about the old build. I went in a bit of a different direction than I originally intended. My original thinking was more of a European Elemental Knight/Ranger/Wreckingball. My non-Diablo version was a mage-slayer class, and I had avoided that cause of the Assassin's role, but I just decided to go there anyways. I may post another variant and try to recapture the original post's idea and scrap the mage-slayer stuff. I need to get back to wasting time other ways though. This class stuff has really cut into my gaming time! :D

Oh well, this stuff is fun too!

19. lunarleif

lunarleif IncGamers Member

This is all from steel and fire tier. I find all of these skills duplicates or copies of other games and or things that don't belong in Diablo.
    Twitch is zeal, which is from Diablo 2, and I though that Blizzard wasn't bringing anything back, and following that theme would be a good idea. Also, why not make it better and more innovative?
    Lunge I think in part has already been taken by the Barbarian as one of his skills almost sounds perfectly like that :wink:.
    Chain static sounds like sorcerer's chain lightning and wizard's electrocute.
    Finally, flame sabres is a DnD spell, and doesn't really have the Diablo goth affect to it. Also, one of the assassin's skills from Diablo 2 acts just like it, without the fire or heat seeking.

20. LaZeR

LaZeR IncGamers Member

Blizzard isn't bringing anything back?
    What about Whirlwhind, Meteor and, well, the Barb itself?

Lunge is not like Furios Charge. Furios Charge goes THROUGH enemies, while Lunge is supposed to knockback foe.
    Chain Static IS a melee chain lightning but you won't succeed in making all the skills totally different from D2. Hell, you can say half of D3 skills so far are remix of D2 skills..