Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

47 PvP Barb

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by NightShade, Mar 26, 2004.

1. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

47 PvP Barb

Suggestions?

Currently going for the following :

20%Gaze
    15% string

233%ed legend sword (Rare..working on a better wep)

1.3k def ornate plate
    Dual ravens
    Mahim oak (+10% def/AR)
    Gore Riders
    Lanceguard (eld ...Input?)
    Blood Fists.

This ofcourse is a whirl/conc barb I'm planning on using. The str from the legend co-incides with the str on the ornate, so assuming two sockets I can do what I please with it. My only questions are what should I be looking for comparitively? worth going to 49 for the kingslayer/cresent moon highland?

2. senji

senji Banned

yeah its worth to get a ethereal kingslayer pretty good if you can get a 15 ed ethereal highland

i have a crappy rare legend that does 190 max only 1 hand 40 ias 2xx ed

rares on weapons only get 1 socket from larzuk now afaik

you can imbue some sick bbs and highlands if you got enough supply and luck
    those can stand on the top

3. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

I am not a big MLD barb dueler, but would shaft be better for this build? You will probably be going toe to toe with some other barbs, and I dont know, but does 1k extra defense beat 15% dmg reduce (35->50%) and 60 life?

Also on the armor, why not a magic? Could be hard to shop one, but I imagine a Godly ornate of the whale, or jewelers of the whale/stability would be pretty good as well.

Those are just some ideas, sorry if I got the level req on godly/jewelers/whale or anything wrong, I dont know if any of the magics would bump up the lvl req too much, I'm just putting some ideas out there.

Also, why lance guard? I know it has 20% Deadly strike, but its blocking is a dismal 33% (maybe its 35, but its one of those two, very little difference ;) )

Why not use a ATOD with 3x carnages in it? The damage boost will help counter the loss of DS, plus its lower dex req would allow MUCH more life.

About gloves... Does that 10% ias on BF hit a breakpoint? If not, it would seem to make more sense to toss on IK gloves for the 20 dex saved, and I dont recall the str on a legend sword/ornate plate, if its higher than the 110 for IKs, thats more saved stat points, which will equal at least 80 life, assuming 20 dex saved, which is better than the 40 from bf.

I know I am probably not right on all these points, like I said, just trying to help with some ideas :) Good luck shade!

-Matt

4. senji

senji Banned

concentrate vs berzerk is about tied
    you get insane defense while berzerk can get insane ar and magical damage so your dr is kind of out
    whats left is block vs block

i have a 58 berzerker arm with ww i do about 5k berzerk 20% critical from mastery

i can win most fights against concentrate or berzerk barbs but about tied dueling a kingslayer zerker with ww

5. NightShade

Replacing them with IK gaunts.

Working on cubing/shopping/imbuing some Highlands/legends. first time back in 4 months, need to check over my mules.

Found a +45max +3 bo +3 inc speed helm, that should be fun

6. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

If you do end up with that help, I would think shaft is a better option, because you will be left with 15% dmg reduce, which vs any melee character is a tad low I would think.

Also, if you go to 49, gogo tele amulet! Yeah... If you hit 49, might wanna conscider a teleport amulet, that could suprise a few people, though many 49 barbs are obviously telezerkers, so you never know, it might not be such a suprise. And welcome back to D2 shade!
    -Matt

7. NightShade

no, I won't be going with that helm. I have 2 20%dr gazes that are eth and one that isn't eth.

I will how ever be making a 27 honor leaper.

Edit : yet another suprise. a lvl 12 60 max dmg unsocketed claw. Making a 12 now too.......

edit 2 :Still looking for a decent atod....May just socket a regular tsod

8. baalos

baalos IncGamers Member

9. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

uh oh, shade's back... run for cover little westers :D

10. WillScoot

WillScoot IncGamers Member

Hm I think I'm very well expierienced with mid barbs. My first suggestions is only one point in concentrate because most, probably 99% of my kills were through ww.

Second, there are no longer any bad *** barbs you have to worry about. I dueled with 0% DR and I suggest you do the same. My style was max damage and using proper whirlwind techniques to avoid taking hits.

For armor, I'd go with a 4 soc/life armor. For starters, use four 30ed jewels. If you REALLY want to dominate, go with 30ed/str jewels or 30ed/dex jewels. A good alternative I found was good ol' Griz Armor with three 30ed jewels. I forget the lvl req on that armor though (I was lvl 53).

For a shield, I HIGHLY recommend an Artisans Tower Shield of Blocking/Deflecting. Also shoot for three 30ed jewels or ed/str-dex jewels.

Forget gaze its really no help to you. Go with arreats. The +stats, skills are so much better than gaze. Also shoot for 30ed or ed/str-dex.

Gloves/boots/belt I tried several variations. I tried string, IK gaunts, travs (S/I/T); IK belt, IK gaunts, gore riders (I/I/G); and IK gaunts, T-Gods, and Gore Riders (I/T/G). S/I/T had a lil more damage and some DR compared to I/I/G. I/I/G had more life and ias (I had a conc/ww'r) than the other options and I favored the mods on Gore Riders over the 200 dmg Travs added. I think the BEST option it I/T/G though. The +stats are HUGE and the Gore Riders are top boots in my opinion.

I loved the Angelic Ring/Ammy, 20 dex raven combo. I easily attained 10k+ AR with this set up. There was also a good amount of dex added and the cannot be frozen is a must. If I had my IDEAL ring/ammy though I would switch to 10+ str/dex AR ring and a +barb/10+str/dex ammy.

When it comes down to good duelers, its all about the charms. Since I go for the max damage output set up, I opt for 9 small vitas and 10 Sharp Grand charms with +str, +dex, and + life. Large 5 max/5 str-dex are also good.

Well, I hope I helped~ Cheers!

EDIT: I dueled on East so maybe there are some [email protected] barbs out there, but I still think DR isn't needed.

11. NightShade

I've made one before, but it was a cheap rip off of laceration on softcore.

Griz plate is 45 iirc. One of my fave items.

I figure until I really develop my legs, I should probably stay in the pdr side of the pond. Yes, I dispise losing that much damage for safety as arreats is amazingly tastey (uglier than hell too). Untill I can score a better gear pool, I figure I may have to stay put.

Alternatives :

I have a fresh 3 socket artisans heavy plate of the whale. The lack of the other socket hurts. My mf must continue, going balls out on this dueler. I just liked the heavier defense on my plate because on occasion I've REALLY felt how much defense has saved some other duelers.

I have a wiz spike, which I plan to trade for ED jewels. Idea's on how much to shoot for?

How much better is an artisans tower compared to a 2 socketed one? If there's a huge problem comparitively then I'll save the jewels.

Yes, arreats is tastey. I will have to track one down. the +stats are rather insane. Suppose I can unload a gaze for one?

Since I've shot down the idea of the lanceguard (I'ma miss that 20% crit) in my own mind, I no longer need dual ravens. Angelics are the next in line then. AR is my friend.

As for a wepon : 320%ed tusk sword, dual leech, etc...No speed mod :( Will upgrade when feasable.

12. tpiercymtv

tpiercymtv IncGamers Member

Okay you seem to know babas...I'm thinking of trying my hat at pvp. I want to make a low one..cuz items cheaper especially cuz you can lose them. So I want to got Leap and Leap Attack. I'll knock back with Leap then Leap attack. Just short hops...so it's fast. repeat. I heard if you get ias then leap attack is faster, although havent tried yet. guy is only lvl 12 right now. I plan on gettin him to lvl 24-25. Maxin out leap for the screen knockback and then rest of points in Leap attack.

Items
    3 socket baba helm +3 leap attack (dont got yet...loookin)
    4 socket gothic plate (ill put prubies in here..same with helm)
    deaths sash and gloves (gives 30 ias and cannot be frozen, resists...what else ya want!!!)
    angelic ammy 2 angelic rings ( nice life boost great ar)
    gorefoot 20 frw/ +2 leap (not sure if these are the boots to go..maybe more frw)
    Eth bone snap

So I've heard peeps say leap attack is too slow ..but if you just makin little hops won't it work. The Leap will knock back the whole screen...man this is REAL FUNNY against monster...all going Ow at the same time..anyhow I digress...after using leap and knocking the player back then gotto leap attack? Shouldn't this work in pvp?...but I'm not sure cuz I'm a pvp noob.

13. NightShade

I can probably feild that one, I have one up coming.

Deaths belt. The gloves are useless for a leaper

Artisans plate of the mamoth (or 4 socket max)

+45 max +leap attack + bo helm

Angelic ammy + Rings.

Wepon : I HIGHLY suggest going to 27 for honor. It gives you that little push into 1 shot kill. Currently I'm using an eth honor partizan (socket them from hell, auto 5) with my other rare (350 max bec - de - corbin) and I have never been happier with the selection. You might also want to use an eth tabar, as they pack quite a punch too.

Boots : If you plan to stand and fight, I love to use gob toes. If you plan to chase or be chased, you'll want rw boots, probably sanders.

Most people have higher % fhr so the leaping doesn't work very well. Short leaps work for leap attack, if they miss 2 quick blocks they are 100%dead....How ever, if you fight a kickasn you are dead.

14. tpiercymtv

tpiercymtv IncGamers Member

Thx for the input..what gloves do you suggest then? Clegs? Bloodfist?

15. WillScoot

Unfortunately my expertise is only limted to mid lvls ... and high 'cause they are easy. 30ed really range in value, as do good charms.

Sometimes I'll be spamming in channel, and I'll find someone looking for Titans or Wizzys. Sometimes it'll cost me a bit to a lot more than I'm comfortable with paying.

If you can only manage to get your hands on a 2 socketed shield than you might as well. It still adds more damage but I wouldn't look for artisan's as you prefix. Something that would help you farther and then give it a shot at socketing it.

I'm sure you can find someone in the channel that will trade gaze for arreats. I also think unless you get lucky and shop a 4 soc armor, than you might as well go with a 3 jeweled griz armor. I dueled with griz armor for about 3 months before I got up and traded for a red armor with sockets~

I wanna remake my barb soon (my account was 'stolen' this last monday) but the charms and sword are so hard to replace. I used an eth cruel balrog with 50 dura. I heard ethereal passions or kingslayers are not that bad? How would it compare to my last sword.

I have to admit, outside of charms, my dueler was pretty cheap. I was easily able to find most of the jewels I needed or had already saved them up. I was also lucky enough to find two swords with 5 dmg difference and 26 difference in durability (one is down to two now).

Good luck with your dueler!

16. NightShade

I'd post the screen shot if I found something to host it, but I am so amazingly pissed....

Cruel 2handed sword of quickness. Perfect.....

17. Mr.Bogohossian

Mr.Bogohossian Banned

One tip>>>> Dont fight firedruids or lvl 40+javazons. Especially when they have lower resis charges on u.

18. evils

evils IncGamers Member

lets see here.. my old 1.09 laceration look-alike BtK-Trogdor was fairly successful(as in, all wins - no losses) and looked something like this(ed/max instead of ed/str)

ed/str arreats
    4xed/str jewelers of the whale(you could easilly buy one of these shade)
    3xed/str atod/jtod or just a plain 2xed/str tod (i used an atod iirc)
    saracens/mahim or a nice rare/crafted +barb/+stat/+life ammy or something (used some rare +barb, +stat, +life, ml ammy on mine)
    go dual ravens.. ~400 AR and the dex boost is well worth it.
    string or a nice rare +str/life/other nice mods belt (i had a +20 str, +5x life with some minor ****)
    ik gaunts
    travs
    a good sword ;) (i used a 2xed/max cruel legend of quickness, but i'd suggest a leet rare, eth ofcourse)

i wont say jack about skills, seeing as i only built zerkers in 1.10.. get your skill info elsewhere :)

//Johnny

19. WillScoot

Lol bogo ... my barb took on lvl 90+ javazons easy ... some with ghey wands. I won't tell you how to beat Kaput's druid though 'cause we are good friends.

Keep a good viper (I had a 35) in your stash as well as a 3-perf topaz shield. With three Anya quests and Arreats/Viper/TGod, you should easily reach 85 light resists in hell.

If you duel on normal just keep your regular shield on, you should reach 85 without the suped up light resist shield.

T Gods comes to mind here (+20 str, +20 vit, etc etc) I think two ravens is overdoing it because you will already only need about 90 or so points in dex, I think 20 less with a much lower AR boost is really worth it. When your going with damage builds you need to get in the most shots fastest.

I think the higher chance of Critical strike (double damage) and also the other mods (Deadly Strike and open wounds?) outweigh the 200 damage addition from travs.

20. NightShade

I trade an artisans of the squid for a griz plate, next run it drops. I just find my Mahim oak, a Sacrens drops.

Untill I have all my gear together (jewels are going to be a problem, same with the charms) I'm going to continue looking for my jotw.

So far I have :

IK gaunts (duh)
    Rare legend (oh god I need something stronger)
    Griz plate (x2...grrrr)
    Vampgaze( soon to be an arreats)
    Gore Riders
    Angelics ( I figure that the ar bonus + a raven aught to give me enough)

Working on aquiring :

Arreats
    Raven (old one died)
    Good Weponry
    Atod
    Jpotw
    30%ed/str jewels

My main problem : My necro mf'er is sorely underpowered. I am creating a sorc to take his place in NM, and moving him and his 400 mf strictly to hell...too bad I'm only in act 2.lol