Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

442%ED Bow And Pit Runs

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Bakunine, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Bakunine

Bakunine IncGamers Member

442%ED Bow And Pit Runs

Found these bow at Shenk:

Base Item Short Battle Bow
    5% to cast amplify damage on striking
    442%ED
    +8 Maximun Damage
    +187 A.R.
    21 P.D over 4 seconds

The last 3 mods are crappy but the first two are just awesome. Not much experience with Amazons but suppose Amplify Damage on striking must be trigered a lot specially using multi-strafe.

WIth my calculations upgraded to Diamond Bow it would do 178-224 Damage.

Worth making a StrafeZon to run the pits?
    Thanks.

2. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Yes, that would be a nice bow for clearing the Pits, if you can get hold of enough IAS gear to shoot fast. A diamond bow needs a total of 86% IAS to get to 9 / 2 and only 63% for 9 / 3.

Happy Hunting.

3. Bakunine

Thanks for replying.
    Few more doubts.

Would there be a huge diference between 9/2 and 9/3 in killing power?

Also as it comes to IAS i can come only with 60% would apreciate some suggestions:
    StealSkull - 10%
    Goldwrap - 10%
    Shael in Bow - 20% (Not sure if i should socket it with opther stuff like a NEF to have knockback)
    Laying Of Hands - 20%

4. robthevwman

robthevwman IncGamers Member

You ...could... 15% ias jewel your armor and helm for the 9/2...but thats only if you didn't have anything better I'd say.. up to you :thumbsup:

5. Bakunine

Yes i could do that but i was thinking of using a Ptopaz StealSkull and a Wealph armor. If i sacrifice these then will be hard to do any MF runs.

Since this is gonna be a pit running Zon mainly what means i use Strafe +90% of the time maybe i could only achieve 10/3 with 40% from gear and put a NEF in bow or take laying of hands out and shael the bow and use Chancies...

6. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Twitchthroe armour has 20 IAS and Crowclaw? has 15%. Otherwise you could socket the Steelskull with an IAS jewel for 15%. If you have several IAS jewels with reasonable second mods you could make up a 4 socket armour or 3 socket helmet with several in, perhaps using runes for extra resists, or topazes for more mf.

7. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Alternatively, as you say above you could just go for a 10 /3 strafe needing only 40 IAS and lots of mf from Wealth and rings and charms. But LoH are very good in the Pits since 2 /3 rds of the monsters there (and most of the nasty ones) are demons, the undead seem to be slower.

So you can use either mf strategy with that bow, a) slow with lots of mf or b) fast with less. Both are valid and productive.

8. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

I'd go for the 9/2 it will really help to get the Amp damage to cast vs. phys Immunes. Highlords and cats eye gives 20 IAS... but really I'd either do:
    60 IAS socketed Armor (4x15 IAS)
    20 IAS Cat's Eye or Highlords
    10 IAS Goldwrap

or:

45 IAS Mavina Diadem (socketed with 15 IAS jewel)
    20 IAS Cat's Eye or Highlords
    20 IAS Shael
    10 IAS Goldwrap

9. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Heh, nice 178 minimum damage there :)

10. Freyas

Freyas IncGamers Member

I'd recommend sticking with the LOH, simply because being able to clear the pit that much faster will net you a lot more drops, which will beat out the increase of 40 mf from perfect chancies. A 9/3 attack speed will do just fine in the pit- I'd socket for MF rather than the IAS to reach 9/3. Using wealth/stealskull/goldwrap with some MF charms should get you quite a bit of MF without adversely affecting your killing speed.

That bow is really great- it should do quite well in the pit, and even be able to handle most other areas in the game, though it'll be a bit slower than with a WF.

11. Broncobiv2

Broncobiv2 IncGamers Member

O.K. You need 86 (so 90 minimum) IAS to get to 9/2. But you also want to have a good amount of MF. Here's the gear I'd go for:

Shael the bow (20 IAS)
    P topaz Skullder's (up to 147 MF)
    IAS jewel Steakskull (25 IAS, 30-50 MF)
    20% IAS gloves - I have crafted ones with 22% MF also (20 IAS, possible MF)
    War Traveler (30-50 MF)
    Goldwrap (10 IAS, 30 MF)
    Highlords or Cat's Eye (20 IAS)
    Raven Frost
    Nagelring (20-30 MF)

That's 95% IAS and, depending on your level and quality of gear, around 270-330 MF (plus charms if you want any). That's a pretty good setup if you want to hit 9/2.

Or, if you decide that a 3 frame strafe is fast enough, you can replace the ammy with a MF ammy. I have a Fortuitous ammy of Luck for 40% MF, or good rares can have 25-35%. That takes you down to 75% IAS, meaning that you could lost up to 10% more IAS and still have 65% (just enough for 9/3). But looking at the gear I outlined, nothing really stands out that can be replaced with better MF items. It would be nice to P topaz the Stealskull also, but that would leave you with 60% IAS, 5% short of the breakpoint. That's why I wish this was a -10 speed bow. 60% IAS gets you 9/2 and 75% 8/2!

So since you'd only gain ~24-40 MF (by either replacing the ammy, or the gloves with Chance Guards if you couldn't get any IAS gloves with MF, or switch the IAS jewel in Stealskull for a P topaz), I think that it's best to go to 9/2. It seems like a lot of extra IAS to scrounge up, but after running the numbers, you're not gonna gain much MF be staying at 9/3.

12. royalesse

Actually... I was thinking... If you get Atma's Scarab you'll be able to settle for the 9/3 strafe since it will double your chances for Amp Damage and do plenty of 'mean vicious nasty' on the baddies. Then this raises the question: are you using an act 2 merc and is he using Reaper's Toll?

13. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Absolutely nothing beats laying of hands for effective killing speed for a bowazon in the pits. The demon damage bonus makes any possible mf gain on gloves negligible.

14. JohnsonHoward

JohnsonHoward IncGamers Member

is this bow ladder or non ladder? are u planning of tradin' it??

howie

15. HardyZ

HardyZ IncGamers Member

that bow is quite impressive to me! and i love diamond bows, give! :eek:

16. skittleboob

skittleboob IncGamers Member

just a thought...

how bout running this set up
    Sheal the bow - 20
    mav's helm - 30
    sig gaunts/boots - 30
    upped goldwrap - 10

that puts you at 90% ias
    leaving you to use rings, an ammy, and armor of your choice

my suggestion is raven/manald, enigma or skullders, and ammy.. mara's or a nice ammy

and load yourself with some skillies, mf charms, and res charms.

17. Bakunine

Thanks for all the replies.

I´ve socketed the bow with and Nef. It really helps!!! and i wasn´t gonna get any improvement in speed since at 40% or 60% IAS the stats are the same. Can always unsocket it anyway...

The bow being a Diamond now does 178-224 Damage.

Currently i am at lv 80 and have the following skill points without gear,charms:

Strafe - 20
    Critical Strike 7
    Penetrate 12
    Pierce 7
    D/A/E - 4/4/3
    Valkirie - 17
    One in each pre-requesite for above stats.

Strengh - 95 (105 after War Travelers) Will need 103 for my planned Archom Plate Wealph

Dex - 313 (with +2 from a 100psn/2dex SC and 19 from Ravenfrost)

vitality - 100 (10 from War Travelers)

Energy - 15

No stats points saved and all quest done.
    10 Skill Points saved and all quets done.

For leveling porposes i´ve been using a Upgraded Vipermagi +35 with an UM to get +50 All Resists (Thanks Nemix). Also have two plain +1 Passive and Magic GC. Since im gonna lose +50 All Resists i think i will have to take these off to put in more resist charms. Without Viper i only have 24/-44/-29/43 resists.

Gear Used:

StealSkull
    Atmas Scarab (Thanks Nemix)
    Viper (which will go off when i make Wealph)
    WTs
    Laying of Hands
    19 Dex/250 AR Ravenfrost!!! (my first unique ring found in ladder)
    Natures Peace ( I love these ring - Maybe later will try a 29% Nagel and see if killing speed is not affected but suppose it will)
    Upgraded Goldwrap

Im using a Might Merc.

I went 3 or 4 times to pit to see how it worked and its funny cause if im alone or with just another person in game i kill faster then with my Hammerdin (lack of skill sending those hammers..must be) but if theres 2 or more things get uglier for the amazon.

Im thinking of maxing Penetrate, then max Valkirie and after spread the skill points that i might or not get as i level in D/A/E.

The stats points i earn will all go to Dex.

Will these be a good skill/stats distribution? Please keep in mind that i do not plan in using any +skill item.

PS: Someone asked if i wanted to trade the bow. ATM no but if i do i will post here with link to the trade forun thread where i would offer it. If this isn´t allowed someone tell me plz.

18. Bakunine

I could realy need some help on how to spend the extra skill points.
    Im level 82 now and have 12 skill points to "waste".
    Im starting to love my new strafezon. Just got my first annilihus as i killed Clone with a friend IK WW barb. Merc went down fast but that Valk with Lv20 only had to be recast 2 or 3 times. I dunno if i was making more damage then him but i keeped him amplified always, valk tanking and that natures peace must have helped a lot. Im almost sure i could have taken him down without big problems alone. Annilihus turned out a 18/18/10!!!

ATM i have an attack rate of 6030 and everything on pit has a chance to hit between 80-90 with strafe. As i level up and pump dex and get near/above monster level i suppose it can only go up so should i really max Penetrate?

Valk with Lv17+3skills is also never recast at pit unless for tactical needs. So dunoo if shoudl max. Maybe spend those 3 points in D/A/E as we will both get advantage of it.

I gave my might merc my best merc weapon thats a 15LL/23x Reapers but im thinking of taking it off him and put an Amn/Amn Bonehew since with 10% chance to cast amplify when he is hitting stuff we are just swapping curses.

19. royalesse

First off... yeah I'd take Reaper's off of the Merc. I'd lean more towards Tomb Reaver over Bonehew.

I wouldn't bother with Penetrate... If you're having problem hitting just use Inner sight. If I needed to tank more myself I'd use D/A/E. If I wanted an extra meatshield I'd put more in Decoy. Really for myself... I'd max pierce. I know the % difference from lvl10-lvl23 goes from 71% to only **%... However, after multiplying multiple pierces from the same arrow... the likelihood of getting 4 pierces off the same arrow goes from 18% to 52%. It should help you cut through groups quicker. After that I'd get critical strike.

20. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

get critical strike to lvl 10 base if you're conservative on the points

i personally have mine at lvl 16 base.