Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

4 Socketed War scepters

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Lord Chaos, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

4 Socketed War scepters

Which area in the game would be the most ideal place for a 4 socketed War Scepter to drop? (Yes, the normal scepter)

2. skihard

skihard Banned

I know I'm not answering you're question but I think I might have one collecting dust, if I still have it's yours if US East, also I know I have a 4 socket sup Divine scepter. Let me check tonight, and I see most often in act 1 NM I think.

3. ElderDruid

ElderDruid IncGamers Member

Great question. I want to create the Holy Thunder rune word. Easy runes. Seemingly impossible scepter.

4. Lord Chaos

Sorry, I play on Europe, thanks for the offer.

I want to look for one myself, so it can have good mods, it *has* to be a war scepter, not an exceptionel or elite version.

5. skihard

skihard Banned

curious what you using it for?

also if you find a white War secepter it WILL get 4 sockets with quest.

6. Lord Chaos

Arrait Summit says it will get 5 Sockets :(

I want it for the same reason the guy above does...for the holy thunder runeword-

7. skihard

skihard Banned

ok because I have Holy Thunder in the divine secpter so it doesn't *have* to be a war unless you have strength/level requirement......and for the other guy if he wants mine it's his it is also collecting dust

8. Lord Chaos

The other two scepters only have 1 or 3 sockets...not 4, so its not possible in those, so the only option is a 4 socketed war scepter.

9. skihard

skihard Banned

Scepters Min/Max 1h Damage Level Requirement Min Strength Min Dexterity Range Durability Sockets Speed for Paladin

Divine Scepter 16 to 38 (27 Avg) 25 103 - 2 70 5 [-10]
    Very Fast

Caduceus 37 to 43 (40 Avg) 66 97 70 2 70 5 [-10]
    Very Fast

these are the exceptional and elite version of War scepter

10. Lord Chaos

I am talking about the other two TYPES, not the exceptional or elite versions.

Like I said, it HAS to be normal level items.

Scepter 6 to 11 (8.5 Avg) 25 - 1 50 2 [0]
    Fast

Grand Scepter 8 to 18 (13 Avg) 37 - 2 60 3 [10]
    Fast

War Scepter 10 to 17 (13.5 Avg) 55 - 2 70 5 [-10]
    Very Fast

There, 2, 3 and 5 sockets...so the only one I can use is the last one.

11. Lord Chaos

Does noone know?...does sockets have a specific level they spawn on, or can they spawn to the max as soon as the item can spawn?

12. Qroft

Qroft IncGamers Member

No. For example, you will never see a 6-socket phase blade or a 4-socket armor in normal (even if you socket a white one). I'm not sure how the patch affected things, but I'd say there are probably a wide range of creatures that drop the flavor of scepter you want that will have a maximum of 4 sockets. I would hunt around in A4 normal. I'm pretty sure that the socket quest will result in 4 sockets in a scepter dropped by monsters of that MLvl, but you might want to test it out on a crap scepter first just to be safe.

13. Lord Chaos

As stated earlier, the max sockets is 5...so the socket quest would give me 5 sockets propably :(

I just need to know which area to search for a 4 socketed one, where they start to spawn regularly (without being polluted by too much other spawn)

14. skihard

skihard Banned

I found another one last night in NM act 1 so I still think that is your best place. Also you have better chances of socket items if you have very little MF gear.

15. Qroft

Qroft IncGamers Member

No, you're not following me. For example, max sockets in a Crystal Sword is 6. But if you find one in act 3 norm and socket it, it will NOT get 6 sockets (at least it wouldn't in .09 and I doubt this has been changed) because the ilvl of the item wasn't high enough to get 6 sockets. If you had wanted a 4-socket Exceptional or Elite then you would be screwed because any monster who can drop them has a high enough mlvl for max sockets, but this is NOT necessarily true for normal items.

Is that clearer?

EDIT: Okay I went to the item drop calculator on this very site (which I'm sure hasn't been updated since 1.10 but the numbers shouldn't be TOO far off). The greatest chance for a War Scepter to drop, in decending order, is from:
    Griswold (Nightmare)
    The Smith (Nightmare)
    Griswold (Hell)
    The Smith (Hell)
    Preserved Dead
    Soul Killer
    Wailing Beast
    Thrasher
    Undead Soul Killer
    Spider Magus
    Flesh Hunter
    Slime Prince
    Bone Scarab
    Undead Stygian Doll

There are the first few entries. Gris and the Smith on Hell are out because if you socket their drops you will get 5 sockets. I don't know about on NM. You can try it. If they aren't high enough level for 5 sockets then they are your best bet. Otherwise, it looks like act3 normal is your best bet. Only problem there is you won't get any level 30 skills on your scepter, so I hope that isn't what you're looking for.

16. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

Sockets spawn randomly after the item type has been decided as normal. So, no monster is more likely to drop socketed weapons. However, there are monsters who are more likely to drop weap21.

Here's what I recommend you do:
    Use no magic find if possible. In Normal, do Diablo Runs and Baal runs, and kill a lot of the monsters on the way. With no MF you have a slightly lower chance of items being magical, so more white items should drop thus giving you a higher chance of finding a socketed one :)

17. Qroft

Qroft IncGamers Member

The matter I am referring to is finding a white scepter to your liking that you could then use the socket quest on to achieve 4 sockets.

And, as I posted, the best place to look for the scepter he wants in act 3, not 4 or 5, unless inherent skills are an issue - and even then it depends on what skills he wants. 24 and under and you're golden. The rate for act 3 creatures to drop War Scepters is about 1/7000. Take a high-level sorc or aura pally into norm act 3 with no MF and just run around and look for scepters on the ground. I'm not sure if that would be faster than NM Smith/Grizwold runs, but I have a feeling it would be, although Griz and Smith are probably more likely to drop other useful items.

18. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

Well I wasn't responding to you as I did not quote you. I understand the matter to which you are referring.

Edit: Removed boring discussion.