Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

4 player builds

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by sungam, Nov 3, 2006.

1. sungam

sungam IncGamers Member

4 player builds

Hi all,

We need some advice for a 4 player party with no kit and not much real experience.

Dont mind cookie cutter builds as 2 of the party havent made it to NM yet, and none of us have done any uber quests, so no problem with chars that whoop butt and no need to "make it interesting" just yet as it will mostly be all new to everyone anyway.

We were thinking: -

hammerdin - point in smite for ubers
    conc barb/ww barb - for bo
    light sorc
    meterorb

all with act 2 mercs

whadaya reckon?

thanks

2. kalvydas

kalvydas IncGamers Member

Hammerdin is overpowered so in hell he will be killing all monsters and others will just following him.
    If you want to have fun for all party members make zealot (1 pt smiter), or auradin instead of hammerdin

3. sungam

sungam IncGamers Member

Thanks for the advice, but looking at the zealot guide: -

"Equipment - Ah, the section that makes or breaks a Zealot in the later stages of the game"

and one of the auradin guides: -

"The main drawback about the HF/HS Auradin is the fact that the build is totally equipment dependent."

So as we have absolutely no equipment and we are not going to be trading might either of these builds be only really good if we have the right equipment?

4. GotFriana

GotFriana IncGamers Member

I dont agree with the hammerdin part, it is true they can get really powerfull but that s usually after they got the best equip. If you are going to have a new party and no twinked characters then it ll all be more balanced with a hammerdin in, also dont forget hammerdins are almost useless in some parts of act 2 so he ll need assistance from others.
    A 4 members party sounds really nice, I d switch one sorc for a Strafe or Multishot amazon, just to have more variety and good ranged backup :)
    Also the 4 act 2 mercs sounds good if you are allways going to play toghether you could have one of each of the beast auras they provide prayer, might, holy freeze and defense.

5. Gorny

Gorny Banned

I remember the days of running my Hammerdin through act 2.

I dreaded the maggot lair. We had a sorc around the same level who was pretty much leading the way through the tunnels with me adding some small damage smacking things with my mace (used only for non hammer fighting). Anyways we get to the boss in there and I'm stuck behind her, and away from the boss. It took almost a minute of me trying to get her out of my way while she spammed ice bolts at the boss trying to kill it.

When she did move and I ran in and took down the boss with a few hammer shots ... her response was "O."

I don't think whoever was playing that Sorc knew what a Hammerdin was.

The Lam Essen's Tome quest also sucked - for a Hammerdin.

6. bruticus

bruticus IncGamers Member

back in d2c, i played a decent ww barb, and hooked up with an orb sorc and a hammerdin - i think that's a pretty powerful 3some. if i had to add a 4th, i'd probably throw in a MS bowazon for some more ranged attack.

the barb can tank with physical damage, sorc and zon can stay ranged dealing high elemental damage and the pally can spam hammers for high magic damage.

pure hammerdins are terrible in small spaces as the hammers don't have the space to circle around.. it's not easy in maggot lair having to hammer from right on top of each and every monster.

7. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

I'm not sure which guide this was, but certain paladin builds are not that item dependent.

The example I want to give is the Frost Zealot. This character would be item dependent if it relied on physical damage, however this one does not. Instead it relies on cold damage added to the weapon by the Holy Freeze (HF) aura. There is a guide for it in the Paladin section. With the setup of 3 companions I would suggest going for max cold damage and no physical backup as the Barbarian can handle.

For a character such as this you do not need the "uber" items. You can get by with a phase blade weapon (for speed), a Duriel's Shell armor and various exceptional items to add resistances and attack speed. With the 4 desert mercenaries your party will have, and the Barbarian, this character will not have to tank the monster mobs all by himself. That along with Holy Shield will ensure he survives decently well, even in Hell difficulty.

And as a bonus this character will not kill everyone by himself so the other 3 party members will be able to contribute evenly.

8. cyncyn

cyncyn IncGamers Member

Two sorcs...no, pick another type of char for one of them. Frost Zealot is a good choice for the paladin, since it slows down the monsters. Same is true with the Frozen Orb.

If the party can stand all the minions, a skelemancer makes for a good meat shield. And all the curses are a great bonus. Decrepify plus holy freeze = slow motion.

If you don't want a necro, add an assassin to the party. Furysin for ranged, plus lightning sentry gives you the corpse explosion you would miss without the necro.

1. pal - hammer or frost
    2. sorc - meteorb - teleport plus elemental damage
    3. barb - BO
    4. necro or assassin

9. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

I agree. Necros are the best untwinked character these days IMO. I mean if all else fails these guys can solo just about anywhere in hell. Even if you all accidentally die, he can go and summon up a decent army for clearing a room and getting corpses back all in his birthday suit.

I'd have a necro just for the tanking abilities if I were you.

10. bruticus

bruticus IncGamers Member

i think these are the key words :grin: i just started my first skelemancer and already i can see how:

a) this will be a powerful character, easily, twinked or not
    b) my meat shield skellies can be insanely annoying to other partied players

depends on the attitude of the other partied players i suppose?

11. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

I've never understood this attitude. What's so annoying about them? I just want more more more. I remember back in the day when it was like 1 skelly per skill level. I always tried to get as many minions as possible. I loved having my 50+ minions running around me.

12. Wacken

Wacken IncGamers Member

Its about their hardware. A friend of me has one of those PC's barely able to run D2. When a skelliemancer is there, he gets like 1 frame every few seconds.

13. Fluffballer

Fluffballer IncGamers Member

Sorcs and hammerdins are capable of easily soloing 8 player hell games untwinked. The hammerdin suffers in like 3 areas out of the entire game? I think you won't have much fun if you have 3 overpowered builds.

I'd go with something like:

Fire and summon druid
    any barb (berserk does amazing damage even with a crappy weapon)
    bowazon (possibly cold arrows) with a valk
    HS zealot

This gives you a bear and valk which can tank ANYthing, ENORMOUS life with BO and oak sage, fire lightning and physical damage (and maybe magic/ice), and 2 ranged attackers and 2 meleers. No one character is extraordinarily overpowered so everyone gets equal kills.

Very safe, and item independent.

Edit: And all pallies get smite when they go for Holy Shield, so you can do Ubers if you so choose. BO and OS will be handy and the zon can crowd control.

14. sungam

sungam IncGamers Member

Hi all, thanks for the comments.

With regards using necros we had a bit of a go with one but a couple of the newer players couldnt really work out what was going on so we probably wont go with one of them.

Sounds like the consensus is a holy shock zealot (sounds fun - never tried one of those!) instead of the hammerdin.

A bowazon of some variety for ranged attack capability

A barb for BO

Either a sorc/druid

Thanks for the advice