Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

3rd Party Tools!

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by sbn, Jul 5, 2008.

1. sbn

sbn IncGamers Member

3rd Party Tools!

No, I am not talking about certain programs that assist you in "maps" (that FYI will get you banned). I am talking about safe, legitimate, and Blizzard approved 3rd party programs. Community X develops a program, which approved could be hosted on Arreat Summit.

1.) A lot of games now allow you to connect from the outside to see your stats. Battlefield 2, Call of Duty4, AA: Special Forces, etc. There are websites that you can simply plug in your account name or UID and pull up a page that. How about a system whereby people can put something similar to this with their D3 char. For example, if you would like to have a good laugh, take a look at my BF2 char (now you can all see how much I suck at that game: http://bf2s.com/player/43415655/)...and no, this is NOT a Rick Roll. I have done that, and never will have the need to do it again :)

2.) How about a program that connects to your account and characters, pulls inventory, stats, etc..Very nice for making trade lists, or just being able to view offline your char, stats, quests completed, etc..

3.) ?

Point is the idea of 3rd party programs in and of themselves are not "evil", it is purely a case by case basis. For the most part, what we have seen for Diablo 2 has been, well how should I say, not in everyone's interest. The second point to this is to help generate interest in the community, especially the developer community who play Diablo and push their energies into legitimate projects as opposed to some certain nefarious ones.

As long as a program does not interact while you are online and gives ANY advantages, disadvantages, or changes gameplay in ANY way. Think about how many would love to have in their sig at the begining of ladder their char, level, times died, etc.

Comments welcome!

2. IdiotDK

IdiotDK IncGamers Member

Re: 3rd Party Tools!

I dont really get that part? how can you connect to Battle.net and view your chars offline? :whistling:

Anyways, i would rather see the functions those programs use build by blizzard. than 3rd party programs ;)

3. eseven

eseven IncGamers Member

If they were to allow something like that, it'd most probably be like macros/mods like in WoW where you can partially automate some processes, and change UI appearance, etc.

4. RedawgTS

RedawgTS IncGamers Member

It would certainly be cool if Blizzard included an API so that programs could access stats of a b.net account and it's associated characters. Obviously this would have to be read-only.

5. sbn

sbn IncGamers Member

It most certainly could be safe. The key to our accounts is the password, not the account name. So if they simply allowed read only access to data regarding the account name then this would be very safe. A Blizzard approved, or made program could even take one step further and use certificates or cookies you could get only after registering at Battle.net.

6. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

Do you mean for D2 or D3? I'd kind of want D3 to be perfect in the first place so there would never be a need for any user-friendly ad ons. But it'd be nice if d2 could have some additions.

7. sbn

sbn IncGamers Member

I don't think we can expect, hope yes, but not expect D3 to be perfect. I can certainly see the need for some kind of program that could assist in making trade lists. Something that could just automatically generate what item you have, what char it is on, the stats, etc..

Thing is Blizzard has always been very tight with opening their games to 3rd parties to develop. Anyone who has ever played Battlefield 2 and downloaded Forgotten Hope 2, or any number of the excellent mods for CoD series would see the difference between these companies that actively assist a community to develop. Now it is understandable for Blizzard to keep closed certain aspects to not promote programs such as maphack. But in this day and age, they are sorely behind the times compared to other gaming companies in their support of the communities.

I guess this even goes to say, would Blizzard even allow people to develop maps for D3? Infinity Ward had a contest for the best community made maps to be included in an official patch for COD4. So the tired argument that people make that this can't be done because then Blizzard would have to pay these people is ridiculous. My interest is in keeping the game fresh and alive. Yes I know D3 is not even out, but let's compare it to D2. While there very well may be a lot of people still "playing", there are actually very few actually playing the game, more like just trading.

8. yukisho

yukisho IncGamers Member

To those who can't comprehend what he is saying, not insulting you guys. It's basically thottbot for D3/2.