Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

3D does not HAVE to mean cartoon colours and proportions.

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Brother Laz, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Werzoth

Werzoth Diabloii.Net Member

Re: 3D does not HAVE to mean cartoon colours and proportions.

It doesnt matter what game Blizzard creates, people will always try to find similarities everywhere. D3 doesnt look at all like WoW. I also find it amusing to see the posts saying "the atmosphere isnt there". That doesnt make any sense to be honest. Look at the first area they showed in the gameplay, that's Diablo written all over it. They showed 2 small areas and already people are jumping out of windows.

2. Mihail

Mihail Diabloii.Net Member

They're using blues and greens like they did in WoW instead of grays and blacks. Not enough cracks, not enough wear and tear, not enough disrepair. Where are the signs of battle and carnage that were present in Diablo 2. Where are the pentagrams and signs of worship? Yawnfest environment is yawfest.

3. NJS

NJS Diabloii.Net Member

They are blending their games art styles to much, or the graphic artists don't know how to do anything else. I've long gotten tired with the cartoon art style of WC3, and WoW. While its not as bad as WoW one thing I thought I could always count on was that Diablo would always be geared for the realistic, dark Gothic and far from cartoonish look as D1 and 2 were. I guess I was wrong. Lets just hope they change it before release.

4. Mihail

Mihail Diabloii.Net Member

I just hope the guys on the developing team are reasonable people that want US to have fun. I hope they'll listen to us and do something about it.

5. JadeSelket

JadeSelket Banned

Skipping a lot of pages of people's comments to add in some of my own. I play WoW. While some of the trailer reminded me of WC3 and WoW, and some other games it also really didn't make me worry if it would stray too far from Diablo I and II. I think some people aren't used to seeing things this way because we had a very strict angle in Diablo I and II. You kind of always saw your character one way, the environment one way...and I can already tell that III let's you see your character a bit more realistic. We're not used to being able to SEE the bottoms of buildings like that. The ground in I and II was always level to our character, nothing really more. But from all this, I still think it's very "Diablo"

Another note, someone mentioned god of war - and i was reminded of this too. Kinda from the way our barb lept down the ladder. He seems a little like Kratos, a little more brutal but I think this looks nice, more barbarian if you will - and doesn't ruin the gameplay at all.

6. PiXeL

PiXeL Diabloii.Net Member

actually looks pretty good

7. DoomyDoomyDoomDoom

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom Diabloii.Net Member

Oh god, I almost puked a little when I saw the screenshots. I had to check THREE times to make sure I wasn't looking at a Warcraft game.

I am still trying to download the video with this blizzard download thingy (slow as hell right now). So I can only comment on the screenshots.

I saw the way it should look picture earlier in the thread and I must say it is a GREAT improvement.

UGH I just, ewww, the textures are all smooth and lack detail. The scenes are oversaturated with color and the characters....I am going to assume they are like placeholders or something. It really is just looking way too cartoony for my taste. Nothing wrong with that, but this is Diablo. I loved the atmosphere in D2.

I may be getting ahead of myself but the screenshots make the game look awfully small. I mean the area doesn't look open. It just looks like a small path ala dungeon siege 2. I hope the environment wont be so linear. I liked how D2 had fairly open spaces.

I still love the graphics in diablo 2. The low res kinda hurts on my 37" display though.

8. Ztryder

Ztryder Diabloii.Net Member

Hrm, I am kinda torn about this. I thought it looked pretty good until I saw the "how it should look" fan made pic. The darker tone on the cathedral one really sold me on making it more dark as we all know and love.

If there is enough of us, the fans need to unite and tell Blizzard that. It worked for SC2. When SC2 was announced, people said it looked too cartoony and bright and didn't fit in with the whole dirty, gritty Terrans. So they scaled it all back and it looks good now. We ought to do the same!

9. Cast_Raider

Cast_Raider Diabloii.Net Member

The colors don't worry me really. Yeah, they're a bit colorful. Which doesn't look horrible to me, it just doesn't look like a Diablo game. No big deal though; I assume that it's pretty easy to just grab the slider for ambient glow and move it from goblin green towards candlelight yellow.

What concerns me more is the look of the architecture. It looks more otherworldly than D1 or D2. Like something I would expect to see in a LOTR or Narnia movie. Which again, is not horrible, but it's just not Diablo. Diablo to me is realistic buildings, mostly modeled after northern european architecture. All of D1 of course, and Acts 1, 4, and 5 from D2.

It's not that the game wouldn't be fun to play. I'll still probably buy a copy no matter what. It's just that it looks too generic, like every other mideval fantasy game out there.

10. crutex

crutex Diabloii.Net Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. 5zigen

5zigen Diabloii.Net Member

The big "this is how ir should be" poster is pretty good but I could use a little more color. The noise filter can stay, it does add a lot.

Does it take graphics processing power to have that noise filter? If so then that might be one reason they don't have it, but if it was added as a clickable that would be ultra cool.