Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

3D does not HAVE to mean cartoon colours and proportions.

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Brother Laz, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Aranock

Aranock Diabloii.Net Member

Re: 3D does not HAVE to mean cartoon colours and proportions.

Same. That fan pic with the before and after shot looks amazing. That is what i pictured and hoped Diablo 3 would be. I sincerely hope they go that route

It's easy to see the similarities between the wow screens and diablo screens, particularly that green fantasy hue. It reminds me of baulders gate: dark alliance for xbox.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  2. capnlarge

capnlarge Diabloii.Net Member

The floating health orbs are there to keep you in combat more often and in town less often.

Not sure how it hurts immersion since it's not exactly realistic for a potion to spawn out of nowhere either... Not to mention that eleven billion games have used the same health recovery mechanism in the past.

3. CarsV

CarsV Banned

I know, no one else has passion, pride or satisfaction in their work but you. Right?

The game isn't finished yet, give it time. I could show you pics of Civilization 4 a year before its release and post release pics and they look nothing alike.

4. worlann

worlann Diabloii.Net Member

I'm starting to doubt that anyone in here has actually seen a cartoon...

"Oh lord, is that colour I see? OMGWTFHANNABARBARA!"

With all this aversion to colour, one would get the impression that someone's dog was beaten to death by a rainbow.

5. Davidus

Davidus Diabloii.Net Member

not the engine just the colors a little bit:p stop acting like D3 grapichs are bad or something. the game is beautiful

6. CarsV

CarsV Banned

My thoughts exactly. I get this mental image of these goth kids sitting at their screens, flipping out and ****ting bats whenever they see a hint of color or joy in a game. I want the game to be dark, immersing, gritty and realistic, too, but not at the expense of being visually stale and unappealing.

7. Brother Laz

Brother Laz Diabloii.Net Member

Stale and unappealing = too realistic
    This is a world with demons and black magic
    It probably won't ever look realistic
    Unrealistic does not mean bright random colours

The places are unusual enough
    They'll look interesting with normal lighting
    This is an underground crypt lit by candles
    And not Need for Speed Underground

8. Aranock

Goth kids? It's the Diablo genre. Did you play Diablo 1 and 2? If so, you should like that atmosphere....

While you are at it, why don't we just add rainbows, sunshine, and lollypops...

Most everyone agrees the altered screenshots look better.

"Visually stale and unappealing...." hah

You're right, i think we need to add some nice colorful carpets and furniture in the butchers lair.

9. camelass

camelass Diabloii.Net Member

Has anyone stopped to think maybe they will have the option to crank up the texture detail level? I do like how the photoshopped screenies look and hopefully someone with the proper channels can pass it along to blizzard but still keep in mind this game is still in the very early dev stage. Probably not even alpha yet. Either way I'm looking forward to the release of this long over due third installment of the Diablo series.

10. CarsV

CarsV Banned

You're basing your argument on early development material and now you're stretching my choice of words to mean more than I meant. Of course utter realism is, well, unrealistic... this is a game! But I don't want the game to be TOO dark, gritty, etc., to the point where I have to crank up my brightness like in Doom 3. That's taking something too far.

However, I definitely agree the images look a bit... 'clean'. But lets not get into overkill darkness like Doom 3 did. Afterall, I wonder what D2 would look like if they used higher resolutions.

Now, if we want to get deeper, the monastary could be clean looking like it does in the pics because it was recently inhabited. Or, if it's been abandoned for a while it could use some touch-ups such as cobwebs, aged trextures, etc., things I expect to see when the game is finished. We still need to see other areas and dungeons, though.

Hey! Lets get together and play the extreme game! You can advocate a black and white artistic approach and I'll dance in my corner with my D3 version of Diablo's Lucky Charms!

By the way, "sunshine"... You do remember a whole ACT in D2 takes place under the hot, bright, burning sun, right?

Man! Look at those rainbows!
    [​IMG]

Yeah, it looks like the Crab People just danced through there.
    [​IMG]

11. Aranock

Have fun in that corner of yours :thumbup:

12. Brother Laz

Brother Laz Diabloii.Net Member

You can have gritty and (figurative) dark without (literal) darkness. A black screen isn't very scary or ominous.

Red candlelight instead of green cathode light (presumably from the tunnels to Undercity) would be a good start.

D1 church levels were neon city, but then it used a 256 colour palette and no 3D acceleration. Much like SC2, the 'same' tints as the original are no longer good enough.

THIS IS NOT JUST ABOUT BRIGHTNESS.
    Areas like the run-up to Kurast in D2 were scary despite not being very dark. The townsfolk tell you about the jungle that's eating everything. There are zombies and cannibal flayer demons and snakes in the water. It's raining and there are bodies and gold on the ground from the ransacked Holy City. The Argentek is flooding and you have to make your way around rickety wooden bridges that may or may not hold up.

And, incredibly, you can still see where you're going. :p

How scary is a crypt when the main source of lighting are primary green and blue hidden lamps? Ditch the neonz and make the candles super bright to compensate.

Oh, Hellgate London did the same thing. Green sewers with the occasional useless torch on a wall.

The Act with the zombies and the scimitar genies that emerge from urns and all the murdered harem girls? And then the sun went out.

Also, it looked like realistic sunlight. The point is not that it is bright. It should be bright so you don't run into walls. But I'd rather prefer a candlelit crypt to look candlelit and not like the innards of a pimped Alienware, and a foggy area to look foggy instead of underwater.

13. moranor

moranor Diabloii.Net Member

The more I compare the look of DII with the look of DIII the more it bums me out.
    I mean, the look is actually a pretty important part of the game's feel, and I think part of DII's appeal comes from the fact that the presentation is so damn great. Diablo always had really crisp looking graphics, that was the tone of the world. This feels like something totally different. Same thing with the inventory. Having a huge axe look tiny in your inventory isn't in the spirit of Diablo.

I tried Mythos for a bit and part of the reason why I didn't like it was because I thought it looked stupid, and it looks just like DIII.

Deus Ex: Invisible War looked totally stupid compared to the original Deus Ex and that was a huge deterrent for me. I wouldn't want something like the next GTA to look totally WoW like either.

There have been a lot of Diablo clones but none of them have had the same magic. Maybe the art style has had nothing to do with that, but when I see this I don't think "that's Diablo III I want to play that now!". I think more like, that looks like Mythos and that was kinda meh

14. Arlborn

Arlborn Diabloii.Net Member

Those graphics are not in the last 2 diablo's spirits. Definetly not. Heck, the name of the game is "Diablo" you know. If you don't wnat blood or darkness, well, WoW is there.

15. Hello Jim

Hello Jim Diabloii.Net Member

A3 was actually scary only because of the Fetish the ran to you in an amazing speed with very scary sound. Again- sound is a big effect. But you're correct on one thing- Rain. Did helped with the A3 effect.

A2 was not scary. You don't understand it until you understand the fact that the sun was shining. Honestly. Even the Palace wasn't scary. Too much light. Only thing that was scary was the tombs. And the Maggot Lair (maggots creeps me out). And the Arcane (wierd).

16. Kingston

Kingston Diabloii.Net Member

17. Zagggon

Zagggon Diabloii.Net Member

I agree 100%, they need to change this ASAP or theres gone be hell to pay for a long time among old d2 players who fell in love with the old stuff, not this crappy *** wow-ish cartoony D3...

18. Friends Call Me Butch

Friends Call Me Butch Diabloii.Net Member

The green dance club interior lighting probably means that the distinctive style and atmosphere will be fatally changed.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  19. Holy-Avenger

Holy-Avenger Diabloii.Net Member

Guys, do you think with enough fan backlash they could change it? I mean almost every board I see there are 3+ topics. I think the right thing would lower brightness/saturation because It dosn't change the graphics THAT much and just adds a d2 touch to it IMO.

20. Mihail

Mihail Diabloii.Net Member

As I said before, the Executive producer stated that the team working on D3 was happy with the art direction. However, depending on the kind of guy he is, he might just care enough about the fans to listen to them.