Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

3D does not HAVE to mean cartoon colours and proportions.

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Brother Laz, Jun 28, 2008.

1. domac

domac Diabloii.Net Member

Re: 3D does not HAVE to mean cartoon colours and proportions.

let's just hope monsters won't be that easy to kill. otherwise everything looks ok.

characters do look a little big in relation to the world, but in regard to the colors ... when you talk about "feeling" or an atmosphere in a game you can't just look the environment colors in a still image. remember, the characters, character skills, monsters, monsters skills and movement of both also control the atmosphere.

also you can't use one color or shades of that one color always, it makes teritories look pretty much the same and not memorable, so colors help there, not to mention that light reflects differently from different materials.

open spaces and their colors help keep game interesting and I bet it's possible to keep the diablo one feeling in some places and give players a little rest from gloomy colors in others. after all your character is a hero, a adventurer, you don't want to spend all your time underground. :)

2. Es Mors

Es Mors Diabloii.Net Member

Sure, it's less dark and gritty, but not to any extent that I would find worth complaining about.

My bigger concern is hte size of the characters. Little gives me more of a cartoony feel than oversized characters.

All this based only on the little we have seen so far, of course.

3. Friends Call Me Butch

Friends Call Me Butch Diabloii.Net Member

Doing it without a single one of the background artists, ui artists or the in-game music guy of Diablo II is challenging enough, trying to make something gloomy in sunny Irvine makes it almost impossible.

Give them another eight years, and I'm sure it will improve.

4. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

That does look nice. Much better than the weird green feel over the place. Could be that the green has a logical explanation, but so far I prefer the red.

There are different kinds of color. The color in the first picture just doesn't look right. I'm all for applying different colors, as long as they give of the correct feel.

5. s4nder

s4nder Diabloii.Net Member

This is what the game should look like. Not done by me but I wholeheartedly agree. The green hue is best left to WoW. Clear, realistic lighting and less of it at the same time would be best.

6. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

That looks damn impressive.

7. billobob

billobob Diabloii.Net Member

You guys are just picking out some of the worst still shots and saying it means D3 will be a WoW or God of War clone gameplay wise. The actual videos overall look much better than the bad shots you pulled out, although it could still use a little work (it is still very early)

8. Ammareddo_Fritter

Ammareddo_Fritter Diabloii.Net Member

Why do those look better than what Blizzard is paying a whole team to create?

And the Barbarian looks like he has magic now. That or he imploys impressive use of hammerspace. And what is the logic behind floating red orbs? Are they the souls of the monsters? And why no bodies?

The good stuff is that the environment looks great, even if it's colored, uhm, less than seriously. The added physics are cool, and the outdoors looks awesome.

9. MrCanon

MrCanon Diabloii.Net Member

that fan made pic is awesome.

we need to keep spamming this on the official D3 boards.
    doubt devs check this place.

10. xibbog

xibbog Diabloii.Net Member

I agree. Needs some heavy grain filtering... none of this smooth stuff in a gritty game like Diablo.

11. Friends Call Me Butch

Friends Call Me Butch Diabloii.Net Member

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=649967

As for which people moved on to Flagship, David Glenn is the only background artist to have done significant work on "Hellgate" amongst the crew from the Diablo II team, and he had no role on the original Diablo. On the character side, Phil Shenk also moved onto "Hellgate", but he's the only character artist that the two teams have in common, and he also did not work on the original Diablo.

The idea that all of the significant players from Blizzard North went to Flagship is a misconception, though it was fostered for a reason - as of a year ago, Flagship wanted to encourage that idea, and, as of now, Blizzard wants to encourage the sense that "Hellgate was a flop, hence that team was nothing without us anyways". However, neither perspective is close to the truth, the vast majority of that team doesn't work at either place at this point.

12. Kiroptus

Kiroptus Diabloii.Net Member

I agree that noise filter would be great to add the gritty effect. If people dont like it just put an option to disable it just like Silent Hill does.

13. Zeek

Zeek Diabloii.Net Member

I really like the "how it should look" pic. I think they could easily add the grittier textures before this game is complete. Good work to whoever created the example though. Can't hurt to show what works better.

14. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop Diabloii.Net Member

We were all freaked out by how much open area stuff there was in Diablo 2, which was a LOT lighter than any of this.

A lot of these screens had a sickly backlighting of putrid green in them. I saw decay in everything. I'm not sure what movie everyone else watched, but I was plenty impressed.

However, Blizzard, please make it darker if possible.

As to everything else, Blizzard has made a career out of avoiding cutting edge graphics. To do so, they use a lot of stylized ways of reducing poly counts/texture density. Some of the screenshots I've seen, really do look irritatingly like WoW. But, in the trailer, I didn't notice any.

And you can count on the fact that the game is at least 1 year out. Maybe 2. A lot will change.

15. Davidus

Davidus Diabloii.Net Member

[was posted] pic
    im sure the game going to looke kile this at release. other than the colors the game looks awesome

16. Elzevir

Elzevir Diabloii.Net Member

That picture looks so good i registered just for it. The game really looks too smooth and clean like many have said, someone should post this on the blizzard forums i would but i cant find my warcraft cd keys, they changed sc2 when there was an outcry why not this too.

17. NJS

NJS Diabloii.Net Member

Damn... I honestly couldn't see what you all were getting so hyped about until I see these altered screen shots. Now I see all to clearly. You guys ruined it for me now! lol

18. NJS

NJS Diabloii.Net Member

How did they change SC2 and what was the outcry about? Just curious.

19. dexterwang

dexterwang Diabloii.Net Member

Totally agree that D3 need to revamp its engine...

D1: Dark, gritty, metallic
    D2: Dark, gritty, metallic
    D3: Colorful unnatural hues, blurry textures, color saturation everywhere

The amazing edited pics of how it SHOULD look like is totally what D3 should have been. I love WoW, but I really don't want the diablo series to turn into it. Cartoony graphics aren't bad, but cartoony graphics for Diablo is a total disaster in terms of the atmosphere.

20. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Diabloii.Net Member

I'd be looking for something in between the "how it looks like" and "should" pictures. The latter looks like someone turned the sharpness up too high and now it's pixellated...