Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

35 dex enough for max chance to block with Holy Shield? if

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by CaimDark, Sep 12, 2006.

1. CaimDark

CaimDark IncGamers Member

35 dex enough for max chance to block with Holy Shield?

The hammerdin guides I've seen tell us to leave Dex at 35, just enough for HotO, but don't clarify this. Right now, my 40 dex (+5 from tearhaunch) with HoZ has a 33% chance to block with a single point in Holy Shield (10 after skill modifiers). Will it reach 75% when HS is maxed? Also, I won't max holy shield for a looooooong time, since hammer, conviction, vigor and blessed aim have to come first. In fact, I probably won't even max HS, because I won't take this character into the 90s (I never do). So what's best way to go regarding dex?

2. safetypro

safetypro IncGamers Member

35 dex will not give you max block even with 20+ skill points in Holy Shield. Many Hammerdins use Spirit and don't opt for max block. You'll probably need at least 100 dex to get max block at higher levels even with +dex gear.
    Don't worry however, even with a modest dex investment, you'll still have lots of points left to place into vit.

3. jimmah

jimmah IncGamers Member

Just a quick note, I hope you mean Concentration and not Conviction.

4. jmsplat

jmsplat IncGamers Member

Max block with spirit is easy; around 150 if you use a sacred targe. Don't use tearhaunch; go for perf waterwalks (upped if possible)

5. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

My 87 hammerdin has max block with 148 (after pluses) in dex with up'd hoz.

6. CaimDark

My bad. Luckly for me, I do mean concentration!

I use HoZ, and that's probaly what I will use for the entire game, I don't tjink there is a better choice.

and what's spirit? An item? I know you will probaly laugh at me for asking, but I have not played for 5 years, so I guess you can consider me a "noob", since so many things have changed.

That's exatctly what I use, if only for lack of anything better. My other option would be immortal boots for the 40%. I have found many godly Items, but goddamit, I can't find a single level 30-40 boots.

Now a question about synergies: how exactly do they work? I noted that the +2 vigor bonus from tearhaunch did not increase my hammer damage. Do synergies only apply to points actually spent on the skill?

Btw, I'm VERY impressed with this build. It's the first time I play character who killed duriel and the ancients on players 8 in less than a minute. It's also the fist character I play who can simply stand right in front of bhaal and kill every single of his minion waves before i count to 10!:thumbsup:

7. CaimDark

'Please people, help me out here.I'm at level 66, and after enjoying max block with HS for a while it now stands at a not very impressive 47% after swapping guardian angel for enigma. And when I reach 67, I will put a cham in my Shako's socket and swap raven frost for another soj, decreasing % to block even further. And my gear won't give any massive boost to dex (the basic power hammerdin gear: enigma, shako, SoJs, Tearhaunch, for lack of anything better, frostburn, HotO, HoZ). So what should I do? Forget about % to block altogether and just pump vitality as much as I can, hoping that I will be tough enough to handle a few blows or should I compromisse life to max the % to block?

8. GodObelisk

GodObelisk IncGamers Member

Its a runeword item, possible to make in 4soc swords and 4soc shields.

Spirit 4 Socket Swords/Shields Tal + Thul + Ort + Amn
    Weapons
    +2 To All Skills
    +25-35% Faster Cast Rate (varies)
    +55% Faster Hit Recovery
    Adds 1-50 Lightning Damage
    Adds 3-14 Cold Damage 3 Second Duration (Normal)
    +75 Poison Damage Over 5 Seconds
    7% Life Stolen Per Hit
    +250 Defense Vs. Missile
    +22 To Vitality
    +89-112 To Mana (varies)
    +3-8 Magic Absorb (varies)

Shields
    +2 To All Skills
    +25-35% Faster Cast Rate (varies)
    +55% Faster Hit Recovery
    +250 Defense Vs. Missile
    +22 To Vitality
    +89-112 To Mana (varies)
    Cold Resist +35%
    Lightning Resist +35%
    Poison Resist +35%
    +3-8 Magic Absorb (varies)
    Attacker Takes Damage of 14

Go http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/runewords-110.shtml for the list of runewords.

I would suggest pump ur dex to achieve max block. If u are afraid of low life, there is CTA (Call To Arms - runeword) for bo. Use waterwalk/ sandstorm trek for more life.

Edit: I forgot the most important one "CHARMS". Use 20 life sc or skillers with +life, anni, torch. All +life from charms/ items get boost by Bo from Cta. So boom you have a hugh life hammer spamming machine

9. bkwong

bkwong IncGamers Member

You need to pump up your dex no matter what, your hammerdin will not be as effective if you only have 35 dex. As long as you get your block to the high 60s or 70s you're fine. After that go back to pumping vitality. But getting that % block up is more important than the amount of HPs you will get by pumping Vit.

10. CaimDark

Well, I've done it. Now my hammerdin wears enigma and 2 Sojs. No Guardian Angel, and no Raven frost=crappy block rate. I've also socketed that cham in my Shako. Being frozen may not be a problem in PvP, but it really sucks for duels. It's time to start pumping my DEX...
    Any other sugestions? I was tempted to use the immortal king's gloves for the huge dex boost, but the extra mana I get from frostburn is just too important. Any other ideias on how I can improve my dex without sacrificing my core equipment?

11. jmsplat

jmsplat IncGamers Member

Use waterwalks for boots. Unsocket that cham and use a jah.

12. CaimDark

Don't have it... :(

13. jmsplat

jmsplat IncGamers Member

Buy em :) Low ones go for pgems and perf is like Um-HR

14. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

If all else fails, craft a pala safety ammy. Its the only way to get an ammy with blocking rates. Downside is u might not get a guranteed FCR mod.

15. pera

pera IncGamers Member

Give insight polearm to your merc and you wont need mana from frostburns any more.