Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

30 Stat Points, What to do?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by baalos, Feb 17, 2004.

1. baalos

baalos IncGamers Member

30 Stat Points, What to do?

I have a lvl 62 barb with 30 stat points to distribute. His gear is shaftstop, light sabre, saracens chance, whistons shield, inferno stride, lore assault helm with +2 to battle crys, soe, and venom grips. With the possible exception of gloves and boots, I am very satisfied with gear.

Think I should put enough in dex to keep block maxed and the rest in life? Or hold out for a better sword with greater str requirements? What would you do?

2. Chiller_babe

Chiller_babe IncGamers Member

3. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Where will Hell resists be? Is it going to require a gear change to get em for Hell? maybe you just have a hihg NR.

LS is a nice weapon but IMO its virtually obsolete for a Barb. Things dont die fast with my Doombringer! Some ultrafast swingers like a Pally I think can still do well with LS but even there its a lot of swings.

From my exp you need to get more CB you will need it to be effective. Might consider some Gores for boots if ya can, also dont forget you can go IK Belt/Glooves and get a lot of stats for a different weapon.

4. baalos

baalos IncGamers Member

he is gonna be a ww/zerker. Good point on hell damage, thats why I havent invested the points yet. My barb in 1.09 used grandfather and it didn't kill that fast either. So far in NM, bodies fall all around me. My nm resists are 85/75/75/80, we will see what they are in hell. My inventory has 15 available slots, so I can easily add resist charms if necessary.

So should I evenly distribute for dex, life and str? And build up for a cb?

5. Stimm

Stimm IncGamers Member

Baalos look me up online ive got a Doom hanging out that you can have.

acct is stimm-ldr

6. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

I must agree regarding the ls on a conc barb. Mine (L75) is in hell, and has been found sadly lacking in the damage department. Even tried to take on DC, but was soundly embarassed as he laughed at my puny attempts.
    I have a CCB I might have to try instead.
    Might trade the ls away.

7. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

Max out Leap

8. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

My Guardian Conc barb went through the whole game with Lightsabre, I think that sword is awesome. It's a natural for a sword/shield barb because of the low str & high dex requirements. If you go with another sword that has a high str req you'll be sacrificing a lot of vita points trying to get both str and dex pumped. As a personal preference I'd rather have slower, safer killing than faster more dangerous killing. With a dwarf star & Lightsabre you are covered with fire and lightning absorb.

The main down point of LS here is the reach IMO, which is a definite problem with a WW'er.

Fred, look me up if you want a different sword. I have a few really nice rare swords, champion, legend (& a balrog, too I believe), that I know I'll never use. Seems like one of them is really high ED with dual leech or something like that. I also have a flamebellow balrog you can try out & keep if you want.

9. ZappaFan

Also, since they fixed the masteries bug, Barbs just aren't the killing machines that they once were. There just aren't going to be any Barb builds that mow through monsters like they're butter anymore - especially twirlers.

Try to get a Highlord's ammy & some Gore Riders, get that chance for double damage pumped up there if you can.

10. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Many Barbs can do well with a LS in small games or solo still, but it wont do squat in a big game. My Barb was using an upgrade Cromir Vante (whatever) with 166 Max, and insaine speed, and lvl 10 zerk solo just smoked things. Get a few people in the game like a 4-5 player and that was basically over for my killing much. He does much better with a Doom, but still not impressive.

From here on out I am building 2 handed and going for max damage. My Barb has little block like 30% and has no issues even when zerking.

i have been experimenting with my barbs thus far. All have turned out "ok" but I am not done trying things. This new one should tell me a lot since I inded to go IK Set. My friend has a Steel Thundermaul and he is very happy wiht his.

LS has a lot of good qualities but if you are a "big game" player and want to see things die due to you while in big games it jsut wont cut the mustard anymore.

11. Bearcub

Bearcub IncGamers Member

My level 82 concentrastion barb is using glimmershreds. does 2000 to 3000 damage and has no problems, Might not kill the quickest but no repair cost, and can do hell andy runs fairly quickly.

12. ZappaFan

But what sword will? The problem isn't that Lightsabre sucks, the problem is that Barbs don't kill like they used to unless they have some sort of uber godly BoTD or something like that.

13. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

2 handed they do well, and with crushing and maybe deadly also. Zerkers with many things kill fine as do Conc barbs also, but it is wiht higher damage weapons. WW with crushing is prety good also.

I think a high end Cruel is about the killing speed now that a LS was in 1.09. LS were never a big killer in full games before, they were just adequate and massive leech since AMNing them was the way to go thus really giving the potential of virtually never loosing life if you also had a lot of leech elsewhere along with its absorb.

I have 3 LS now, may try one on a bear, but i didnt like it on my wolf one bit thank god I made a ton of dex boosting gear just to test it out I would of been ticked having that much dex spent and now using a no dex weapon and i tested it in late NM not Hell.

i dont know, i dont have the answers, i just dont see LS as a end game weapon unless you play small games all the time.

14. ZappaFan

Well my point is that Baalos seems locked into a sword/shield barb. With that being given as a starting point, I'm not sure what would constitute a better one-hand sword, considering that he's going to have to start pumping strength along with dex in order to equip a higher damage sword and still keep max block. You know what gets sacrificed in that scenario - vitality. And we all know that melee barbs have a VERY tough go of it in Hell. I'm just not sure it's advisable to go with a high strength and high dex build in 1.10. I'd rather go with a high dex, low str, vita build and be content with just not killing as quickly. If we're talking big groups anyway, the barb will be getting plenty of help killing stuff, so what if the barb isn't himself doing massive killing? He's lending his warcries to the group certainly, and providing a good tank. He might not be flexiing his testosterone as much as he could in 1.09, but he's more likely to be alive to tell the tale.

15. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Cruel Myth is Similar Dex and I think like 142 Strength and he would need to be not far from that to wear most any higher end Armor. Now getting Cruel Myth is a different story, too bad your on West I bought a 298 20 Max Myth like my second week in Hell and still havent done anything with it.

Rune weapons, names dont come to me...oh Crescent Moon, and there is another one I beleive in the 220-240 ED area with nice mods although one of them has Chance to flee which doesnt thrill me. One has static doesnt it........this is all off the top of my head but I think there are a number of options. Dont Myths come 3 sockets?

136 Dex is hihg for a CCB barb, but it isnt for some other weapons

16. baalos

baalos IncGamers Member

Even my totally tricked out 1.09 lvl 99 barb wasnt a killing machine. But I could let hell cows swarm him and get up for a beer and still know he was all right. I am going to take Stimm's offer for a doom and see how that works. As for now, at lvl 62 he solos nm baal with no problems, and gets half a level each time he does it.

Thanks for all the feedback. And a big thank you to Stimm.

But for right now, I'm off to max leap :creep:

17. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

LOL

Here's a good answer for a Frenzy'er... Shael-Um-Tir in two Balrog Blades. Friend of mine swears by it. If rich enough, do it in the Ethereal versions.

18. terrymanning

terrymanning IncGamers Member

My level 84 concentration barb uses a Doombringer and he does "ok" in single player hell difficulty games. Load up the game with players (over 5) and he can't even scratch monsters. As long as you don't get crazy, and keep the number of players low, the Doombringer should work for you. Good luck.

TM