Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

3 Gem Weap. Cubing ilvl Question, affixes avail...?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by deanj, Feb 3, 2004.

1. deanj

deanj IncGamers Member

3 Gem Weap. Cubing ilvl Question, affixes avail...?

The new 1.10 Three Gem Weapon cubing recipes listed on the Arreat Summit for chipped, standard and flawless gems list the ilvl for the output item as 25, 30 and 30 respectively.

I thought that the output ilvl meant you can only get magical pre/suffixes at or below that level. But I have cubed War Pikes and gotten King's and Master's which are both lvl 56 prefixes, well over 30.

So what is the deal. Is it a mistake on the Arreat Summit?
    I really want to make sure that I can get a Cruel with these recipes. Can I?
    Also, while you are at it please let me know what are some other good weapons to use these recipes on (I've done the Collosus swords already).
    Thanks !

2. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

The ilvl (item level) is used in determining alvl (affix level) but they are not the same thing.

Each item type has an inherent level of its own (usually called qlvl). If that is higher than the ilvl, it gets used instead. So for example a Short Sword dropped by Baal will have ilvl 99 (from Baal) and qlvl 1 (all Short Swords) and the high ilvl will give it a good alvl = good possible mods; at the same time a War Pike that has been chippie-cubed will have ilvl 25 (from recipe) and qlvl 85 (all War Pikes) and the high qlvl will give it a good alvl = good possible mods also.

Arreat Summit isn't exactly wrong here, just vague.

You can get Cruel on a magical item if it has qlvl 75 or higher. War Pikes definitely.
    You can look up base item qlvls on www.d2data.net, if you like. Look under 1.10, Base Item, then the category you want. The qlvls are listed as a column there.

3. Zroc

Zroc IncGamers Member

Wow thrugg, that is very interesting.
    Would you mind running through this scenario for me, so I can understand that better?

Say I go buy a magic cadecus in Act 3 Hell, and I am level 91.
    1. What would it's respective levels be (alvl, qlvl, ilvl)?

2. Does the above change if I buy from Act 5 Hell?

3. I 3-gem cube it...what are the possiblities? Does it matter if I do 3 flawless or 3 chipped?

4. Can I cube it again? Or is it better to go find another?

Thanks so much...I'm very intrigued ;)

4. deanj

deanj IncGamers Member

I believe I understand pretty well now so let me take a crack at answering (Thrugg you can correct me if I am wrong).

1. the alvl is the higher of the ilvl or qlvl. The qlvl for a Caduceus is 85. And the initial ilvl does not really matter if you will be 3 gem cubing it because...
    2. and 4. Once cubed with those recipes the ilvl will be 25 or 30 but the alvl will still be 85 because the qlvl for the base item can not change.
    So you can keep on cubing and the alvl will remain 85.

You only have to worry about ilvl if the qlvl for your base item is not high enough for the affix you want. Then you would have to make sure that the ilvl is high enough by getting it from a area/monster/seller that drops items with a high enough ilvl.

5. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

I'm kinda outdated with regard to NPC sales and aLvl calculation in 1.10. But this is how it was in 1.09 - it may have changed dramatically or not at all

1) iLvl of NPC sold item = cLvl +5 = 96 in your case
    qLvl of Cadeuceus = 85
    aLvl (in this case) = 2*iLvl-99 = 192-99 = 93

2) iLvl caps are set for NPC sales in normal, not nightmare or hell. So the above would not change whethet the cadeuceus was bought in act 3 or 5 of hell.

3) You would probably use the 3 perfect (not flawless) gems + magic recipie, as iLvl will not change with that recipie. Therefore, aLvl and possible affixes will not change either.

4) You can continually cube it, as aLvl will not change, always allowing for the best mods.

I don't know how up-to-date my calculations are, so I'd wait for some confirmation

6. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

I'm afraid it's slightly more complicated than alvl = max(ilvl, qlvl).

You start with input = max(ilvl, qlvl).
    You then check to see whether input > 99 - (qlvl/2) (rounding down after the division).
    If it is less, then alvl = input - (qlvl/2)
    If it is more, then alvl = 2*input - 99.

So for Zroc's example, the ilvl will be 96 (ilvl = clvl+5, except in normal it may be capped). qlvl is 85 for all Caduceuses. input is therefore 96 initially so running through the above, the alvl is 93, so you can get affixes up to that level in the shop. The shop won't matter, outside of normal (in normal, the ilvl caps depend on the act).

After you gem-cube it, its ilvl will be 25 or 30. In either case, as deanj correctly pointed out, it won't matter which you do because input will be 85 from the qlvl.
    Then alvl will be 71 (2*85 - 99). Still enough for almost all decent affixes (you won't get Shocking & Condensing, Transcendence or Titan).

Again deanj was correct in that you can keep cubing the same one with no loss of possible mods.

[edit] Shadow brought up a good point with perfect gems, unlike the other recipes, if you use that one you will keep the old ilvl (although you won't get sockets). That is possibly worth doing if you want to cube an item with a low qlvl and still get good mods.

7. Zroc

Zroc IncGamers Member

You guys rock ;)
    What I'm after is a Rose Branded, Marshall's, or Priest's Cadecus of the Magus (20% Faster Cast) that spawns +3 mods for hammers and concentration.

Pipe dream, for sure, but cubing with flawless or chipped will be a HECK of a lot faster than shopping for one. They rarely show up at all on the vendor screen. Plus, it'll get sockets ;)

It's not something I'll sit there and try to do (I figure the odds are quite horrible), but I can keep the thing in my stash, and just roll it as I collect gems. Who knows...might just happen some day ;)

8. Stormie

Stormie IncGamers Member

That's the spirit!

Rose Branded and Marshall's are alvl=60, Priest's is alvl=50, and of the Magus is a mere alvl=17. Since a caduceus is qlvl=85, when gem-rerolling it, the alvl will come out as 71, and therefore your desired affixes are perfectly possible. With two sockets, too, if you're lucky!

Furthermore, since Blessed Hammer and Concentration are both level 18 skills, they are possible on gem-rerolled items (ilvl=25 or ilvl=30 allows level 6, 12, 18 and 24 +skills - level 1 and 30 skills are not possible).

So, if you're patient enough, one day you will achieve your dream. :)

p.s. you may already know this, but a Caduceus is the only scepter class weapon that will get an alvl of 60+ from gem-rerolling.