Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

2H Pally?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Stack, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Stack

Stack IncGamers Member

2H Pally?

Can anyone share good experiences about em? How about bad experiences, or should I not even waste my time? I was thinking maybe an avenger with mega crushing. But, who knows...​

2. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Chargeadins are really fun, from what I hear.

3. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

They are great against a single target (kill hephasto without getting touched), but kinda hard in MP since if the lag is bad, it's impossible to charge lock a target.

4. Stack

Stack IncGamers Member

well I dont play MP that much, so I'll think about giving a charger a shot.

5. sam_manzanza

sam_manzanza Banned

It depends on whether you play SC or HC. I wouldn't recommend a 2H Pally in HC simply because you will have to be shieldless and it's not safe out there anymore :)
    If you fancy a bit of dueling then a Charger is THE character, PvM however I'm not so sure of. Try a ranger perhaps, they are a blast, although they may not be able to solo Hell efficiently.

Sam

6. DreamlessDude

DreamlessDude IncGamers Member

Chargers are usually 1 to 2 hitting enemies. PvM wise, they are not the best but definately fun.

7. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

I've played 2 hander zealots previously, last time I did that it was in 1.09, got to patriarch easily and up to lvl88 if I remember right. It wasn't really any harder than playing a zealot otherwise, although the lack of blocking and the resists from the shield do cause a bit problems, especially against the stygian dolls where you basically had to either block their death explosion or die.

As for 1.10, I don't think it's a very viable option, though it migth work well if you'd use 1-hander/shield combo as your switch.

Like with all not so powerfull builds that have problems when dealing with mobs; tread carefully and you'll succeed :)

8. Ryondaahl

Ryondaahl IncGamers Member

A chargeadin in 1.09 with the Spire of Honor truly rocks. There is almost nothing as funny as seeing your character bounce across the map like a crazy rubberball.... Try one you'll enjoy it.

cheers,

Ryondaahl

9. addicted2macs

addicted2macs IncGamers Member

I had a 1.09 Chargeadin, maxed Charge and Holy Shock, with a couple points in Zeal. Pretty much all the way through Normal and Nightmare, there weren't that many problems.

I started Hell in 1.10 and almost immediately had to switch to a 1H weapon and shield combo. I don't have the best gear, so I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think you'll have to do some serious twinking.

Aside from the frustration when I went to Hell, the chargeadin was a lot of fun to play.

Edit: forgot to mention the whole 2H thing. I used a combo of Honor executioner sword for Normal and an Honor Colossus Blade for NM. It was great. One-to-Two hit deaths were common.

10. Kyrandia

Kyrandia IncGamers Member

Same here. My zealot (Act 1, Hell) has tried several times switching to 2H for more damage, but he's just too vulnerable like that (with his current equipment). One pack of spike fiend minions can already be lethal :grrr:

11. Gengis Chuck

Gengis Chuck IncGamers Member

Ah, the 2-Handed pally. I was thinking about writing a 1.10 2-H Avenger guide, but I didn't know how much interest there would be since it's so item dependent and only 1 kill-at-a-time. Although it's great for those that don't like to skill switch since Conviction/Vengeance can handle anything you run into.

I did Pat one in 1.10s, and tested the build further in final 1.10. It's a very powerful, but very item dependent if you want to keep deaths to a minimum. (died 3 times on the way to Pat.) You can bring down most monsters at 'players 8' in Hell in 1 to 3 hits and Hell Diablo went down in around 20 hits (40 swings). It is one of the few builds out there that can complete the game at 'players 8' in Hell effectively.

The trick is to have very high defense without using a shield/Holy Shield and to get some crowd control. My goal was to get 50%PDR, 85/85/85/75 resists, and 10k+ defense.

I also "walked" the whole time to keep the defense active. Running was just too painful against ranged attacks.

Skills:
    Conviction - slvl 25 (lowering resists maxes out at -150% at slvl 25 so don't go beyond there depending on equipment)
    Resist Cold - the rest
    Resist Fire - 20
    Resist Lightning - 20
    Vengeance - 20

Aside from being a synergy with Vengeance, the Resist skills give you a passive bonus to the appropriate element at a rate of +1 for every 2 points invested. If you max them your FR, LR, and CR will all be able to max out at 85%.

Equipment:
    Ribcracker w/ED% jewel - upgraded (incredible damage, 50%IAS, 50%CB, and +100% Defense)
    Shaftstop w/resist all jewel - upgraded (1500 defense, 30%PDR)
    Rockstopper w/Um (high resists, 10%PDR)
    String of Ears (LL, 10+%PDR)
    Dracul's Grasp (LL, +life after kill, 5% chance to cast Life Tap per attack)
    War Traveler's (15-25 damage really boosts Vengeance damage)
    Ravenfrost (Cannot be Frozen and Cold absorb)
    Nature's Peace (PMH, Slain Monsters Rest in Peace)
    Crescent Moon (dual leech)
    lots of resist charms, Offensive Aura GC's, FRW, and Sharp charms (for Vengeance boost)

You can switch out the Crescent Moon for Highlords or Mara's if you have ML elsewhere or are planning to use blue pots or Redemption. You really don't need that much ML to keep your blue orb filled with a high damage weapon.

Merc:
    Defiance merc
    Delirium Helm - for crowd control from the Chance to Cast Lvl 18 Confuse
    Shaftstop - for the 30%PDR and life
    Reaper's Toll - Decrepify really makes things hurt less and makes the physical part of your attack stronger.

12. bladejj

bladejj IncGamers Member

I actually have a paladin in 1.10 whos main skills are charge and fanaticism. I maxed out charge, fanaticism, concentration (bad misake), and i have 13 points in vengeance, and 10 or so in holy shield; with 9+ skills. He he good for just about everything mf wise. He is currently level 87 and is a Pat. I am using pretty basic items like Shako, Herald of Zakarum, Ghost Flame, War Travs.... I currently have 500+mf on him. But he does tend to die, so I don't know he will get past level 87. His max 1 hand damage is about 5-6k(depends on if your counting poison damage or not).