Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

2h Frenzy Barb Beginnings

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by scarred_life, Oct 2, 2006.

1. scarred_life

scarred_life IncGamers Member

2h Frenzy Barb Beginnings

I was at another standstill with Diablo for a bit and figured that the remedy for it would be to create another character. I scratched the last barbarian I made because frankly he was quite boring and I screwed him up a bit, lack of items to twink also caused a slow down and a loss of interest. So after reading over several guides and hungering to make a barbarian I decided to go with the 2H Frenzy Barbarian. I've got almost all of the endgame gear planned out except for a few suggested pieces which I lack and since I feel like running Meph/Andy a few (read: hundreds) of times I figure that the equipment I lack will show it's face. I have been left with a few questions though as to a few end game pieces as well as beginning pieces.

1) What equipment would let him start off with some good early momentum? (Weapons are main priority here for me, the armor and everything else is pretty much covered/thought out)
    2) Mid-game gear is also a slight concern for me so any suggestions there will help as well.
    3) As far as end game gear I am worried about weapons (thinking about going swords but not sure yet) and armor. For those of you who wish I could dump my Atma stashes and let you see what I have for yourselves.

I'm really hoping to take this character far and my ambition is rising, I have some things to attend to before I begin this journey (mainly eating, then some item runs) and want to make him the best he can be. Any and all help/advice/information is highly appreciated and will not be forgotten (at least until I Pat him :tongue:).

2. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

Unless your barb looks like this, I don't think you're going to get very far with 2h Frenzy.

3. trihero

trihero IncGamers Member

ROFL at kabal. I think what the original poster means is to dual wield, although his use of 2h denotes 2-handed weapons, which makes no sense since you can't dual wield 2-handed weapons except swords.

Anyways I don't know much about frenzy barbs, but I did a double swinger once.

Nice early game weapons are simply TirEl runewords (steel), they have decent damage for low level, something like 25 or 50% open wounds, and +25% increased attack speed. If you can get your hands on rixot's keens (unique short swords) or crushflange (unique mace) those tear up the early game due to 25-33% crushing blow, which is excellent.

Mid-level I believe headstrikers are decent (unique battleswords), they can easily get 100% deadly strike based on level and get more and more max damage per level, as well. For elemental damage Baranar's stars would be good.

High-level I think you should go for runewords in ethereal elite axes, much like that guy got his patriarch recently in these forums (his char name was doolin axes or something like that).

4. scarred_life

Ok so yeah I meant to say duel wield >_<. No clue as to why I did that, previewed thread like 5 times before I actually posted it. Either way, thanks for the help so far, and I remember doolin' axes I'll have to check up on that thread again.

5. jrlafrance

jrlafrance IncGamers Member

lol @ kabal!

Anyway, here is a thread with discussion for my lvl99 Frenzy barb idea.

Here is my Pat link Doolin_Axes (axe mastery).

Here is sirpoopsalot's Pat George (mace mastery).

6. scarred_life

Well looking over those guides again (was searching for them earlier as they were still fresh in my mind) I realized that I don't have too much of that endgame equipment. So unless I can borrow your equipment jrlafrance :tongue: heres my planned skill set up along with end-game equipment:

20 frenzy
    20 battle orders
    20 shout
    20 mastery
    10 taunt/double swing

Amulet - Atma's Scarab or Mahim Oak Curio
    Helm - Andariels Visage
    Armor - No Clue Yet (nothing too good available)
    Belt - String Of Ears (best belt available)
    Gloves - Venom Grip (again best available but 5% life leech & crushing blow)
    Ring1 - BK Wedding Band
    Ring2 - Raven Frost (If I can find it, I know I had one I think)
    Boots - Gore Riders (Just found this earlier xD)

As far as weapons go I'm at a loss, I've got some perfect switch ideas for PI's (Azurwrath/Baranars Star) as well as MF/Horking (Ali Baba/Heart Carver or 2x Baba or 2x Hear Carver probably settle with 1 of each). Though the main weapons seem to escape me.

7. Lompo

Lompo IncGamers Member

I'm actually building a Frenzy barb (still low lev.)
    As beginning gear I twinkled him with the berserker set

As for choosing of skill I would drop points from shout for Warcry (croud control)

As for your equipments:
    Crushing blows is your friend (make things much easier) so try to aim items with it:
    gloves: a nice crafted blood pair of gloves (mine have 10 CB, 3 LL,20 IAS + other minor qualities);
    as for armour Duriel will help till you find ravenfrost, then Duress is nice because adds CB (but doesn't have high resistances) alternatively Gloom/Lionheart sound good;
    for weapons I wan't suggest dream runewords weapons (I've never seen some runes), but I point out Passion runeword (not too expencive and give you Berserk, so you can save skill points and eventually using it a switch weapon on a 2h against PI), Kingslayer is nice for CB/IAS/OW/PMtH but is a little expencive, Crushflange and Black runeword (very cheap) have a lot of CB are great in beginning/mid game (but can be even end weapons), there are some good elite uniques maces too.

8. silospen

silospen IncGamers Member

9. Kefir-Tribe

Kefir-Tribe IncGamers Member

In my opinion 20 points in Shout is a waste. Those are better used in synergies to Frenzy and/or War Cry. Make sure to put one point in Berserk (to counter PI and IM) and at least one point in Natural Resist.

As for gear, I think you'll do fine with what you've listed. You'll need some helmet to wear until you can use Andariel's Visage though. Crown of Thieves, Tal's mask and Rockstopper are some of many good choices.

If the goal is to finish the game and not do it all in p8 there're many weapons that are more then good enough. That Azurewrath of yours, together with i.e. Lightsabre should do it. Baranar's Star together with Nord's Tenderizer or another Baranar's would work too. If you would like to use axes, Razor's Edge, Rune Master and upgraded Butcher's Pupil are good and easy to come by. Of course there’re other uniques as well as rare, magical, crafted and rune words that can do the job.

It has been mentioned already but blood gloves is a good choice and Duriel's Shell (especially if you don't have another source of CBF) is a sweet armor. Other cheap pieces for the armor slot are Lionheart and Smoke rune words.

Good luck!