Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

$2500 and all it does is restart. SUCKS

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by TheThunderer, Nov 11, 2006.

1. TheThunderer

TheThunderer IncGamers Member

$2500 and all it does is restart. SUCKS

yeah well i got a a new comp and built it my self. first here was the boot disk failure, insert disk and hit enter. solved that one. now there is the problem of windows xp x64 restarting and reastaring over and over again. hmm anyone got any thing to say. oh yeha dont buy windows xp x64 yeat it blows.

2. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Buy a complete computer instead.

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

What processor do you have?

How far into the boot process does it get before restarting?

Second, try a reinstall, if you just built the thing there can't be much info of yours on it.

If you are adventurous try getting www.ubuntu.com running on the box. You can dual boot, which could save you time if something like this ever happens again.

4. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

hit f8 after the beep and see if safe mode will start

edit: new forum member to complain about xp64?

5. BlueDogAnchorite

BlueDogAnchorite IncGamers Member

Yeah that does seem a little odd. Must have been lurking or something.

6. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

If the computer is restarting, it's for a reason. Since you say you built it yourself, did you put heat sink compound on the processor? We need more details than you're providing.

7. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

Yay Ubuntu!

8. asdf

asdf IncGamers Member

win x64 kicks ***. i'm using it right now. perhaps it's your computer knowledge that sucks.

cheap generic ram, perhaps?

9. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

Ouch. Welcome to the forums, eh?

10. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

You don't need thermal paste, it is nice to have but isn't required.

Heat wouldn't be a problem here, it wouldn't restart, it would just shut off.

The problem is software/firmware based most likely.

Get into your Mobo's BIOS and see how much RAM it's reporting. If it is less than what you put in take the stick it isn't reporting out. I still think this would actually let you boot and give you a kernel dump or just not let you boot at all.

11. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

hsf is optional on those right?

jk, most heatsinks have a thermal pad so its not always required, i put some on just in case 1/2 pea dot is all it takes

12. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

Not required? If the heatsink doesn't come with a themal pad, than you need HSC. Maybe not 5 years ago, but with modern processors you most certainly do. It's CPU suicide to not put any on.

Without having even the barest of details, it sounds like his CPU is overheating and shutting down (if it's an Intel. Does AMD have overheat protection yet?).

13. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

amd has overheat protection, iv forgot to plug in the fan a couple times, still works great

its fun checking the temp and seeing it over 160F after restarting it

14. TonoTheHero

TonoTheHero IncGamers Member

Though it has already been said it deserves emphasis: Your statement is to broad to be true. Thermal paste can easily be the difference between too hot and cool enough.

15. Savage

Savage IncGamers Member

Nobody here has any idea what the problem is, you haven't given us enough information. Best to get somebody who knows more about computers than you to take a look at it. It could be defective RAM, it's almost certainly not a heat problem.

You say you built it yourself, does this mean you bought all the components separately and put them together or did you buy them in a prepackaged bundle? I'm a firm believer in building your own computer but not when it's just a DELL that you have to assemble yourself.

Also, thermal paste is definitely required. Yes, you can get adequate contact between your CPU and heatsink without it but anyone who knows anything about building computers knows that given the benefits it's just plain stupid not to add a spot of thermal paste. Obviously if your CPU comes with some already in place you don't need to add any more.

16. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

You do only have one post, but if you do come back, give a little more info. There are some really knowledgeable people here (and I'm not included in that)

17. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Yeah, could be just about anything. My first instinct is always that it's Windows' fault, though.

18. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

he should have signed up to a hardware forum instead of the d2-otf for xp64 help imo

19. TheThunderer

ok here is everything i have in this peice. Thermaltake Tai-Chi VB5001SNA Black/Silver Aluminum Extrusion ATX Full Tower Computer Case with liquid cooling system ,ASUS M2N32-WS Pro Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI ATX Server Motherboard, Thermaltake W0106RU Complies with ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V version 700W Power Supply 100 - 240 V CE, CB, TUV, FCC, UL, CUL, and BSMI certified, ASUS EN7950GX2/2PHT/1G GeForce 7950GX2 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Dual GPU Video Card, Corsair DDR2 XMS2 2gb, AMD 64 x2 5000*, Arctic Silver, 320Gb Seagate HDD, 2x Asus DVDR's, and Microsoft Windows XP Professional X64 Edition with SP2B 1 Pack. Everything is good until i restart it myself. When im installing all the drivers and it restarts it ok. When i Shutdown and restart it later all it will do is restart. It goes as far as the windowns xp x64 screen. I have tried everyth8ing i have seen under the son. Im goin to get a Sata Hdd and load it again to see if that does anything, If not back to windows 32 bit. In my bois it reconizes all my ram. I dont ahve the watercooling installed right now dont have the right waterblock. Yeah i know my comp knowledge suck, but i have alot of ppl that i work with that dont, and they are stuck.

20. TheThunderer

oh and i didint mean to post this in a d2 forum, i was drunk last night and pissed so i needed to vent. i joined tryin to trade somesh**.