2020 Spring RFL Sign-Up and Running Thread: 1st Round

EatSleepDiablov2

Diabloii.Net Member
In practice runs, tried pure blizzard (DF, Bliz Ormus w/facet, Snowclash, perfect Nightwings w/facet, Infinity merc, etc.). Blizzard doing something like 11,400+- (from LCS). Killed cow king on p5 with single cast.

Then pure fire druid: -30/+29 faceted crystal sword, phoenix, perfect raven with/facet, etc. Killed cow king on p5 and barely noticed (I think with Armageddon).

I might respec other sorc/druid toons and try again, giving the corral a wide berth, or just stick with my javazon. We'll see...

maxicek

Moderator Single Player
Just realised I found DWeb since last RFL, I used HoTO last time.

How much FCR are people using with DWeb? I can get to 125 just, but as I only have a 10FCR necro amulet I can only get to 125 using both rings too, so I lose +2 skills from Beta BKWB.

CaseyJones

Diabloii.Net Member
Kind of feel your pain DiabloTwo....4.5 hours in...none qualifiers :( Though I must admit my run times are horrid...so by Gripphons numbers here I only should have likely seen 1.

WoRG

Diabloii.Net Member
Gonna start on this later this evening, but wanted to confirm some things... Last year, @Grape said that it was fine to run this MP, as 1.07 has no /players function, and because my Zon had already killed Elvis and can't open a portal herself... I keep seeing people retiring characters from running because they killed Elvis and can't open a portal anymore. It IS still ok to do this in a MP game, right? I'm the only active toon, the others just stand around, raise the player count, and suck up XP...

Just wanna confirm before I get started...

WoRG

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
4.5 hours in, first data with necro on p5.
Last RFL data: 300 runs, 579 runes, ~470 cows per run

This RFL current data:
123.5 runs ( I died once in the middle of the run)
Avg time: 131.8 s
223 runes found --> 1.8 runes per run, 0.822 per minute
Approximately 440 cows per run and 201 cows per minute

Only different thing is I tend to skip cows a bit more and focus on heavy herding rather than killing 20 isolated cows here and there
Not enough running for relevant data yet, 10 hours mark will provide better estimation.

@maxicek
125 fcr is important for a few reasons, more important than extra 2 skills.

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm 3.5 hours in, qualifiers are crap so far but got pretty good non-qualifiers. 37 ED RJoF, decent skillers, couple of nice SCs:

Screenshot 2020-03-12 at 21.32.29.pngScreenshot 2020-03-13 at 07.41.12.pngScreenshot 2020-03-13 at 07.41.14.pngScreenshot 2020-03-13 at 08.08.11.pngScreenshot 2020-03-13 at 10.36.26.pngScreenshot 2020-03-13 at 13.55.36.pngScreenshot 2020-03-13 at 16.21.06.pngScreenshot 2020-03-13 at 16.43.31.png

For me after 3.5 hours Trapper is at 194 cow kills/minute based on rune drop count, but I don't trust that number yet either. According to drop count she started with 258 kills/minute after 20 runs or so :D because during the first hour in general runes dropped left and right, then last hour very few runes dropped at all, long stretches where I got runes not even every other run. Let's see how things look after 20 hours.

Thanks for sharing your data @Gripphon, good to have some comparison (in particular my rollercoster in rune drops had me wondering what was actual average of rune drops per run, but my numbers aren't very different in the end).

It took me about 1.5 hours to I realize that FB dmg even with Beast setup is enough to put P5 cows in hit recovery – that's pretty a important thing and triggered a change in gameplay. Now teleporting directly onto the edge of the cow group on Beast switch to max Merc dmg, staying next to Merc while laying down DS and throwing FB just next to her on Merc basically. As long as cows don't encircle her, they just stand there looking stupid and inactively awaiting death. Overall runs became smoother despite 1 frame slower teleporting with Beast switch. Only issue with this playstyle is when I'm Amp'ed – then I sometimes have to take a step away or use Mind Blast to keep her and the Merc safe until the curse wears off.

Run times currently at +/- 2m20s on P5, picking up jewels, amethysts, Rals, rare rings and charms... so could be a little faster when only going for qualifiers. Recording of new playstyle to follow when I don't run the risk of embarassing myself by dying. :D Still getting the hang of what she can and what she cannot face tank, had two deaths and two S&Es following the change in approach...

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
I didn't test it in details, but for me ~180 cows per minute seems to be for both trapper and javazon, blova sorc is around 170 according to last RFL data.

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
Checked my 2019 RFL round one post for Java, seems I had diverging counts with rune drop method (200 cows/min) and XP method (182 cows/min). Assuming the truth is in between, it's pretty similar to Trapper with current numbers. Don't know about picking behaviour though, will have to compare crafting mats etc.

In any case it appears the difference between Trapper/Necro/Java is as little as 5% or so. Small changes, variance across maps and running technique can swing things either way it seems. Will try to push the Trapper harder. :)

Arctodus

Diabloii.Net Member
Two hours in, already got two qualifiers, but let say that they're not big heavyweights... Anyway, my run times is around 5m/5m30s. I'm ok with this time, because I use a budget Blova, not really maxed for this task. I probably could shave about a few seconds or so if I were a bit more focused on big groups, but not much more, because I still have a long way before I ever hit sub 2m30s. I soften the cows with a level 11 Static Field and throw Blizzard/Nova on them moomoos. Still, I have the feeling I'm getting my groove now.

I guess I could reskill her into full Blizzard, but I won't go see Normal or Nightmare Akara to respec her, because she has a great Baal map that I don't want to lose, since Baaling is gonna be the main purpose of this character. I guess I could have farm Essences, but I figure I'm just too lazy for that.

Anyway, have fun everyone !

Babyhell

Diabloii.Net Member
Lol...I definitely need to roll a new map, I'm running - well mostly for xp, on p7, but times are somehow as bad as 8'. But well, I also take too much time on little groups, so it doesn't help at all. Anyway, as my set has already started, I may just work on gameplay more than on map, or time top find a new map shall be counted in. I'll see!

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
Recording of more refined Cow Trapper approach:

Hit recovery FTW. Makes runs faster as well as picking thanks to standing closer to the action.

I started running only in a circle instead of randomly checking bulges and outer corners as well, because I felt they don't spawn enough cows to be worthwile on average. And backtracking loses time of course. This resulted in a couple of sub-2 min runs and overall close to 2 min average.

Problem with such short run times is they start to more negatively impact the proportion of the "getting leg" part to the "cow running" part of the run, and whether drops over time make up for that remains to be seen (or rather estimated, based on drop method fuzziness). Currently doesn't seem to adversely affect runes per run average, but only did that for 30 minutes so far. It's definitely a more relaxed routine to always teleport the same path though.

Hutton

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm with @DiabloTwoinDC and would just like to clarify that it is the cows that drop these qualifying runes, right?

Think my highest so far is Io... though I'm only a couple hours in. Respec'd to Javazon, as p5 runs with the bow got a bit dull after an hour- she's too safe!

Did get one good drop so far- lightning skiller #6. Pretty locked in on my next twinked character being a lightning sorc- she will be started as soon as I find any Gul+ rune to make CtA as I have everything else!

Last edited:

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
Is someone able to make cow counter killer? That's the only way we can properly count cows and I don't know how hard is it to create such program.

Xios

Diabloii.Net Member
I wasn't planning on participating, but figured I might as well throw my name in-- I could actually benefit from some runs even if it's just for other things, and I recall last time I played in the RFL I stumbled my way into a Zod so sillier things have happened.

Please state IF you are running 1.07.
-------------------------
WoRG (1.07)
Ghonn
D2DC
ffs
Hutton
Luhkoh
ESDv2
Kstil3227
maxicek
CaseyJones
Pb_pal
Arctodus
Babyhell
zemaj
Gripnoob
NanoMist
art_vandelay
TwentyMuleTeam
Xios

On this current stash I only have a handful of Mats/Pats, but I got my old Blizz Sorc to go and kill Baal so that I had someone to run, even if they're not optimized for it. Just casually doing a few runs here and there. My map is really weird-- I'm already in the pen and the King is the closest monster to the portal. Guess it makes it easier to know where he is at least.

Scooping up plenty of gems, charms and bases at the moment which was the real goal, less than an hour in so far.

Also just had an amusing coincidence-- every single unique during one run was CI/PI. Needless to say my Sorc and Merc were not impressed.

Last edited:

peytron

Diabloii.Net Member
Only one day late to the party.

Please state IF you are running 1.07.
WoRG (1.07)
Ghonn
D2DC
ffs
Hutton
Luhkoh