Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

2019 Spring RFL Sign-up and Running Thread: Grande Finale

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Grape, May 4, 2019.

1. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

I concur! OBS is great :)

2. Luhkoh

Luhkoh IncGamers Member

@Hutton I'll try out OBS sometime soon! I hate tinkering with software when I could be playing d2 :p But thanks for taking a look! I think the map will be really straightforward to play, but getting an accurate boss count to decide if it's worth keeping has been a challenge for me.

For example in the first run, in the second devilkin nest, I only counted 1 boss originally, then saw the archer pack in there easily on review, but then also figured out there were champion devilkin's mixed in. So what I thought was a 6 boss run turned into 8. Very similar when there are multiple archer packs in lvl 2. On the 3rd run in the video I thought for sure there were 2 archer packs, and then when slowing down to 0.25x speed, I barely can tell there are 3. So all this stuff doesn't affect how I would play the map, but the evaluating is proving tough for me.

I don't think the layout gets much better though. Close to Black marsh wp, small and linear map, 2 devilkin nests. So I'm just hoping the boss count works out :)

Hutton likes this.
  3. Kitteh

This starts tomorrow. Crap :p

Luhkoh likes this.
  4. Tatterson

Tatterson IncGamers Member

@Grape Is seal popping allowed?

5. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

If it's still FAM, I ain't banning it from this tournament either (any chance for more participants is a thumbs up).

If max says it's discouraged, I'd probably consider running the normal way, but that is each and everyone's own decision :)

Less cheesy way (imo) is to try and maximize the last seal pop; kill them asap and check the drops near by. Have a map with a lot of monsters around one wing. This has been a thing for every full CS runner (going for big D) forever... I tried the teleporting around thing when this was being discussed and I couldn't stand it :p

6. Jocular

Jocular IncGamers Member

Ah, thank you! That is exactly the information I needed.

7. zemaj

zemaj IncGamers Member

So, I'm thinking of running a FoH/Shock Zealot in AS for this. To clarify, I already know this is probably less than ideal, but I think it sounds fun, so that's what I'm rolling with. :)

Anybody have any thoughts on gearing/point distribution? I'm thinking something like:
    Helm - Griffin's (-23/+16 with -4/+5 Facet)
    Body - 'Enigma'
    Amulet - crafted +1Pally/15fcr/[email protected]/stuff
    Switch1 - beta 'Crescent Moon' PB/ a shield...HoZ, 'Exile'(?)
    Switch2 - beta CtA (+14BO/+2HS/+3FoH)/'Spirit' ST ([email protected])
    Rings - BKWB/rare or craft (Wispy or Nature's Peace maybe?)
    Gloves - ... (Gravepalm/Ghoulhide/Chancies ?)
    Belt - ... (Verdungo's/SoE/Nosferatu Coil/Goldwrap(upped×1) ?)
    Boots - War Travs or a nice craft maybe...

Which gets me to 75fcr breakpoint, and I'm thinking that should be enough for teleporting, since FoH has a considerable cooldown. FHR breakpoint may determine other gearing options, but I'm hoping HS will alleviate most need for such.

Skills:
    20FoH
    20HB
    20HShock
    20RL
    1Prereqs (8 total... including Zeal, which with the 1pt should be at least slvl4 after +skills)

which has our core build done at clvl76 assuming Den of Evil/Radament/Izual have been completed on all difficulties. Extra points go to HS... or Sacrifice if I find myself using Zeal enough to justify it.

Stats:
    Strength - enough for gear
    Dex - enough for maxblock with HS active
    Vit - everything else
    Energy - none

Pretty standard Pally stats...

Merc:
    'Infinity' 1.07eth Thresher
    ... an armor and helm... ebugged 'Treachery' + Andy's Fugly if IAS helps, ebugged 'Fortitude' + Vampire Gaze if he dies instantly.

So yeah... thoughts or insights?

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  8. LongingForDeath

LongingForDeath IncGamers Member

Well, it's about half past midnight here. Haven't evaluated my Poisonmancer's Pit map yet, Hammerdin isn't ready for CS, haven't tried Blizzard sorc for CS yet, and I don't think this round I'll have time for two batches. So I guess I'll just have to wing it this time and rely on the RNG to be in my favor. On the bright sight, I haven't found a HR or even qualifying rune since round 2.

9. PhineasB

PhineasB IncGamers Member

@Luhkoh - I'd consider rerolling. With necro, it's nice to have overlapping boss packs for most efficient CE chains. It didn't look like that was happening except on Pit level 2. It's also fairly spread out generally for the density. Admittedly, I'm biased for XP, which generally involves skipping mobs of random monsters. Given RFL format, I think you could approach differently, but you would still prefer density of trash mobs, and they seemed fairly spread out.

Alternately, I think a more streamlined running approach could work on that map, if you have the hang of where boss packs spawn. Go there, and the two nests, and otherwise go quickly to level 2, and start next run.

One other tip: switch left mouse from normal attack to throw, on main and switch, and it should stick across sessions. I noticed that you occasionally hit monsters with normal attack, and throw eliminates that possibility.

Good luck for the round! I am partial to pit necros :)

10. Babyhell

Babyhell IncGamers Member

Decided to go with the Hammerdin JohnnyBeGood at CS, Vizier and his close wing mainly, stopping on the run sometimes when wraith are here - or if i feel so, champ packs/uniques for example.

Start has been pretty nice, hitting lvl 92, i'll try to keep my drops for the end, but i mainly focus craft amulets (ilvl 8_8), jewels and s/g charms, rare rings. S/U when can be useful, but i have the bad habit to delete when i don't need on gomule, so it won't help either.

Anyway, i'm too lazy to make the timeline, i tried at the beginning, but stopping/restarting the clock just disturbs me, can't stay focus and make mistakes more often Decided to forget about it, will do only for qualifiers with end of run times !

GL everyone !

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  11. Quinneczech

Quinneczech IncGamers Member

So, first hour behind me... Running Baal, and I have to say, it is really paying off. I already found zero qualifiers, hopefully I will be as lucky as until now in the rest of the batch.

Experience is good tho :)

12. Luhkoh

Luhkoh IncGamers Member

@PhineasB Ah dang I thought I had a keeper. Thanks for taking a look! How tough is it to roll a map close to wp, 7.5+ bosses, and smallish linear layout? I thought having those plus 2 nests would make it a keeper, but it should be doable to get that, as well as more overlapping bosses and greater trash mob density?

No worries on the not-streamlined playstyle. I'm not claiming my play is good at all, but it's only as bad as in that video when I'm going slowly and trying really hard (and failing) to get an accurate boss count :p And I'll definitely try harder to keep that throw on left click! Thanks so much!

13. Friiser

Friiser IncGamers Member

----------------------------
    Grape (1.07)
    WoRG (1.07)
    Helvete (1.07)
    Hutton
    Quinneczech
    Kitteh
    ffs
    CaseyJones
    art_vandelay
    LongingForDeath
    Luhkoh
    sir_cyclops
    Gripphon
    jjscud
    peytron
    PhineasB
    NanoMist
    NorthDakota
    ESDv2
    Mest666
    Babyhell
    pharphis
    Gynli
    T72on1
    Pb_pal
    maxicek
    Chaostar
    Teddeeboy
    zemaj
    Friiser
    ----------------------------

I think that I am probably going to be all over the place with this round. I may do some Mausoleum / Maggot Lair / Pindle with my Fire Sorc, A5 areas with my summoner + CS runs, Blizzy AT runs. Hopefully get 20 hours, but RL is wackadoodle right now.

14. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

5 haulpic items already. You guys may as well quit running cuz you don't stand a chance!
    Not qualifiers though.

Babyhell likes this.
  15. art_vandelay

art_vandelay IncGamers Member

Completed the first 4 hours with Hammerdin in the CS. I ran with the Rising Sun + Might Merc but I just invested half an hour into getting Hotspurs in normal and now I'm going to try the Hotspur + Prayer Merc Combo.

Is there actually a preferable wing layout for Infector? (Hook vs. the other one)

Babyhell likes this.
  16. Kitteh

No qualifiers, but I did get a grailer *shrug*

Babyhell likes this.
  17. CaseyJones

CaseyJones IncGamers Member

1 hour done, 1 qualifier,levelled from 77 to 78, and nailed a couple s/u grailers (not hard, not half way there)! RNG be blessed!

Have an awesome map I think, easily 6 boss packs at P1 just on the flat branch of AS. Not an actual count, just seemed like I was running into roughly that many each run.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Babyhell likes this.
  18. Babyhell

Babyhell IncGamers Member

Already about 2 hours here, leveling is nice, i may target 94 or halfway to 95, depending on xp penalty - i never went that high since...so long ! JohnnyBeGood will take back the lead on my 90+ chars :)

Already got 7 ilvl 8_8 amulets, which is nice is that i have quite some champs and unique packs on my map, no new s/u grailer, some nice charms too. I'll wait the disclosure this time for non qualifiers.

GL @CaseyJones, glad you made it for this round!

CaseyJones likes this.
  19. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

Not expected to see on RFL, but it is what it is. I'll combine Pitzerker and AT barb for two sets. Maybe not two full sets, we shall see. I'm going full luck and no efficiency this time around!

Luhkoh likes this.
  20. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

If going for efficiency for this round: only Vizier not Infector. Otherwise ... matter of preference I think.