Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

2019 Spring RFL Sign-up and Running Thread: Grande Finale

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Grape, May 4, 2019.

1. Hutton

Hutton IncGamers Member

@Tatterson

Pretty certain I remember reading a post from @maxicek somewhere that it's not allowed for at least the RFL (with an official ruling to follow). I can't seem to find it though, sorry!

2. Luhkoh

Luhkoh IncGamers Member

Are there any general tips you all have for identifying bosses while area running? It seems obvious but I am so bad at it. A very big part is red/green colorblindness but I'm quite sure that's not the only reason I'm so slow at it. I find myself wasting sooo much time mousing over every pack, and even after 100 tunnels runs on the same map with my sorc, I'm not very fast at it.

Obvious ones are when the boss is a very different color or has an aura, but infinity makes the auras tough to go by. But anyways I felt like there might be some more tips and tricks that I didn't know, and even if not, its probably worth asking when my AT runs are still ~1:40 after doing 100 :rolleyes:

And a side/resulting question, how do you all count bosses over several runs? I see people reporting their averages as like 7.64 bosses on average and I'm like how the heck do you know? Lol I feel like in order to count, I have to go very slowly (and am more likely to die since I'm thinking of something else) and even then my boss counts feel pretty error prone.

3. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

Auras, sometimes they simply look like a boss pack, colours. It helps of course once you know the spawn points :)

4. art_vandelay

art_vandelay IncGamers Member

If you want exact times AND exact bosspack numbers you will have to use the runcounter together with OBS/bandicam/whatever. I don't think anybody here can do above average runs while also counting without fail.

Another nice indicator of bosspacks are multishots, extra fast monsters and you getting hit by damage (HF, HS, HFire aura on monsters) without making contact with a missile/monster.

On top of that you should look out for a monster's light radius.

Screenshot002.jpg

Look at the light near the cursor and then look at what happens when I teleport there:

Screenshot003.jpg

The boss (in the little niche) had a light radius whereas his minions didn't.

5. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

I said it the teleport-seal-popping-for-drops thing was cheesy (very high on the mozarella scale) and officially discouraged. It is up to @Grape if he allows the practice in the Tourney though.

I'm not sure if I will play all out for runes this round, I may run the Pits at /p7 with a venomancer, probably with CS Hammerdin too. I'm looking for Uniques too.

6. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

Counting can be done at peak performance of playing, it just requires practice of doing it. What I do is divide counting on the runs of 5, remember the number of bosspacks (or it can be written down) and do another 5 runs counting etc. With time it becomes natural to count and run.

Best method of spotting bosspacks is by noticing where they most frequently spawn and where to look. Usually they are spotted fast due to different coloring of the boss (which is easily spotted if player knows where to look for it). For everything else there is good old method of going with mouse over one monster to check is it a minion. AT can be nasty with spawning 3-4 bosses in a small area who might be mixed with champion packs too. In that case a lot of experience is needed to distinguish them all and count. What is impossible to determine is whether there are two champion packs of 2 monsters at one place or is it a single champion pack. However such case is so rare it can be ignored and counted simply as one.

7. art_vandelay

@Gripphon That's impressive :D

If you do a video analysis do you count champions one by one or do you still count them as 1 pack?

(1 unique = 2,5 champs, so avg champion pack = 120% of a unique, so 1 bosspack = 1,04 unique on average)

I started running Shenk/Eldritch now with my Fissure Druid. It feels like Shenk is smoother altogether since there are no rocks blocking the fissure but that might just be in my mind.

I'm also running on p5 since he is not a Java. :D

EDIT: When you kill Shenk and all the monsters around die do they drop as if you killed them yourself on the current playersetting with your MF value or what is the situation exactly?

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    sir_cyclops likes this.
  8. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

For counting purposes it should be one pack of champions = "bosspack".

Working out the math on what this averages (in terms of chance to be unique vs champions + number of champion) can be done afterwards.

9. Jocular

Jocular IncGamers Member

I haven't sent in my results for round 2 yet (a single qualifier :p) but I plan to enter with a Pits/CS running bowa once finals are over. I find I start to go crazy if I don't mix it up a bit. AT would be included except that my map for it is absolutely terrible and it took me a while to roll my current (fantastic) pits map--so I don't fancy the idea of trying to roll good maps for both at the same time.

Mainly put her together again for fun to try to use Goldstrike Arch after finding a pretty good one. Currently hemming and hawing over the fact that kill speed drops substantially in CS when I swap out fort for skullders...meaning my MF is hovering around a paltry ~180%. I suppose since this is a rune finding league I shouldn't mind, but I'm missing a surprising number of S/U items usually found by now like War Travs. I could simply swap over to WF, but I want to try to make GSA work :p

Any opinions on strafe being a one-point wonder or maxing it?

10. zemaj

zemaj IncGamers Member

11. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

You guys keep on slacking about the important aspects of pre-tournament days ...

First of all, goals. Here are mine:

• have fun (didn't see that one coming, no? ;))
    • find some Jah runes for my runeword grail
    • do a full batch
    • find a grailer
    Actually I only have one real goal for this round, and that is the first one on the list. Other than that I'm not going to try and be competitive. Not because I don't like that aspect of the tournament, or because I actually secretly hope to win the round but put myself in an underdog position. But because, as I've stated before, I had to really put in gaming time for the previous two rounds on moments where I could / should have done other things, or by staying up too late. With my upcoming mountain ultra I just can't do that anymore, nor do I want to do so.

Another reason I'll not be competitive is because, when I try to, I only pick up a few selected type of items, hence leaving alone potentially good ones like charms and rares. Given how I'm actually not that far away from my runeword grail (relatively speaking), but still don't have many good charms and rare items (amazon and assassin gloves come to mind), it makes more sense to start picking up a lot. And leave my rune drops up to luck, not efficiency, obviously ;).

As I said before, I'll most likely be mixing things up between a few characters.

Now, far more important ... prediction of top 3. I'm afraid that 1.07 won't deliver this time, and surely not for WoRG, who has already had a great amount of rune drops. I think we'll see a tight race for top spot overall. Ultimately @ffs will win the tournament, because these will be the results for the final round:

1. ffs - very efficient runner, has luck on his side ever since his insane Travincal round, and deserves the win based on his tireless search for efficiency, even covering lesser known paths if needed
    2. Nanomist - former winner of the RFL, he will finally stand up again and get a good score, making him the judge for the overall win, because #3 will be
    3. Pb_pal - he always shows up with a great performance, and this time will be no different. He will be punished by the drop gods and only and up in second place overall though, but only because he'll also find Tyrael's in the Pits with his Venomancer

12. Babyhell

Babyhell IncGamers Member

My goal will be: complete the runes Gail of this RFL.

May Zod god hear me, cuz he's the only one.

Does it sound serious enough ? :p

sir_cyclops likes this.
  13. Gynli

Gynli IncGamers Member

My goal = 2 sets with my bowa on p7 RoF/CS/Diablo.

That should give me roughly 60m of exp, putting me in a good spot to ding 98 on my bowa before the end of the half-year mark. :cool:

Rune-wise... i guess a Jah would be nice, for my 4th Faith to be made in a Mat bow.

Item-wise... Steel Shade. Definitely need it to smooth out the runs for the 99 stretch.

Less than 6 hrs for the round to start from where i am. Good luck to everyone! :D

PhineasB, Luhkoh and T72on1 like this.
  14. CaseyJones

CaseyJones IncGamers Member

My goals:
    Split my time between my javazon in AS and my very new orballer in mausoleum/pits. Both untwinked so my run times are horrid but any time on each one will be progress. Likely pick up a few s/u grailers since I still need many there and with some luck manage a few HRs for some needed runewords. CoH, CTA, HOTO, Enigma. Really, I could find a use for any qualifier that drops :)

Good luck and have fun!!

T72on1 and Luhkoh like this.
  15. Hutton

Hutton IncGamers Member

I have but one objective.

To defeat @Gynli and emerge as victor in The Battle of the Bowas.

Joking aside, not dying, Ohm(s), Sur(s), and Ber(s) would be great.

pharphis and T72on1 like this.
  16. Luhkoh

Luhkoh IncGamers Member

@Kitteh @Gripphon @art_vandelay Thanks all for the tips! I'll continue practicing it and hope by the end of the rfl round that I've improved a lot. Yesterday I switched my runs to p1 just to be able to see a difference in the loot dropped as another piece of info for counting the bosses after the necro has blown up the screen. And of course I'm just doing this for map evaluation, and won't continue to run on p1 after I've decided my map is good. Anyways, I found I was undercounting a little bit. Usually from two packs of the same monster type. But anyways I guess that's good news as I THINK I have a really good pit map.

Kitteh likes this.
  17. ffs

ffs IncGamers Member

Uh, given my disastrous luck in R1 and off-the-charts RNG in R2, I expect another subpar result and don't think I have chances on winning! Also I still don't feel like running Javazon in AS, and with my untwinked Paladin being somewhat close to completing Enigma, I hope to finish that and go for CS runs with him and not focus on RF efficiency either.

@NanoMist surprisingly has not yet completely destroyed us, so he's indeed a strong candidate to take this round. But for the overall win my money is (and always has been) on @Pb_pal. He is now perfectly placed to exact his revenge on us, somehow flying under the radar but within striking distance to deliver the deadly blow. :)

T72on1, Pb_pal and Luhkoh like this.
  18. Luhkoh

Luhkoh IncGamers Member

Alright would you all mind giving me some feedback on this pit map? I tried following the advice I got from @PhineasB and @Pb_pal when rolling it. I think its really really good, but am discovering how truly awful I am at the boss counting. Here are 4 p1 runs over 10 minutes, and ignore the playstyle if you can. This is me attempting to painstakingly mouse over every single thing, and even doing that I counted 6,8,6,7 bosses on the runs. Then after some ridiculously slow youtube review, I now count 8,9,7,7. Much better! I did 15 runs yesterday in addition to these, and my avg counted bosses was 7, but since I seem to be missing about a pack a run, I think it's likely a fair bit better than that. Also it's not on this video, but one of the runs yesterday had 8 boss packs on lvl 1 alone :eek:.

VIDEO LINK

19. art_vandelay

My goals would be to get a point again :D

In all honesty though I want to actually complete two sets. I'm sure that a lot of that time will be filled with CS running either with Hammerdin or Java. (I finally made my facet shield, she should do a lot better in CS, but still no Griffon's)

No idea who will take this, Zod can literally turn the tables around for a lot of people. In any case I am rooting for @Shuffleblast to get that eth Reaper's :D

@ffs I reviewed your Shenk Java video again and I think it's not necessarily the teleport trick that makes these runs viable for you but the fact that you have no S&E delay at all. I did 50 runs and glanced at my timer during S&E and it was about 4-5 seconds from clicking S&E to the main menus appearance.

I used Harmony instead of CtA, didn't try the tele trick, played on p7 and had this setup:

Titan's
    Enigma
    -10/+11 Facet Shield with 15% IAS, 25% CR
    Shako
    2/10/[email protected] amulet
    SoJ
    fcr ring
    3/20 gloves
    Razortail
    Silkweaves

3 Skillers

Infinity merc

Resists:
    -14/4/63/-21

Average time over those 50 runs was 20.023 seconds and I believe that technically less is possible with better positioning and Griffon's.

Surviving wasn't really a problem but I had to pot quite a few times and even had to go to Malah once or twice. Only NDE was a case of slingers spawning everywhere. I threw some random SCs into my inventory which explains the weird distribution of resists on her. The most dangerous thing seems to be fire though with the Imps and Burning Archers that spawn quite often.

I also tested Fissure for Shenk and as can be expected it isn't anywhere as fast. My strategy there is to have Oak+CtA for about 3,9k life, go to Shenk and cast Fissure once and then when everyone's in Hit Recovery I teleport onto him and Firestorm him. That can already get very dicey with the right mods on Shenk and right now I only feel save doing it on p5.

I don't think those two runs are the way for me to go. They will always have a ~4.5 second penalty which might not be too crazy on a 40s run but is absolutely horrible if this makes up 25% of the run.

@Luhkoh maybe you already do that, but: double click on the upper bar of the diablo window to enlarge it to the entire screen. That reduces the whole 'clicking outside the window by accident' business a lot.

Also interesting that you have all the color effects in windowed mode. I use windowed precisely because with lowest graphics settings and windowed I get none of those.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    Shuffleblast likes this.
  20. Hutton

Hutton IncGamers Member

Get OBS Studio, people. It's actual freeware rather than this crippleware Bandicam garbage.

@Luhkoh I found it hard to count as I'm on my phone, but it looks decent! I'd suggest using /nopickup and binding throw to left click to avoid accidentally clicking items or trying to whack stuff with your sword!

In terms of spotting packs, I use a combination of colours, auras, movement speed, hovering to check for the "minion tag", and light radii over walls. The latter is more tricky in The Pit though, as normal Fallen will create the same visual effect.

As others have said, it becomes a lot easier once you know your map and where all the common spawns are!

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    ArtOfSenf and Luhkoh like this.