2019 Spring RFL Sign-up and Running Thread: 2nd Round

EatSleepDiablov2

Diabloii.Net Member
...i'm around your second set of qualifiers, 16. Total for my two sets, where you hit 24...
In my second set, I had three qualifiers in the first 10+- hours. In the last ten, they dropped pretty consistently, including 2 in just the last 50+- runs.

Aside from a 900 test run in 2010 (post #108), I had never run Trav in a meaningful way. In part, it was due to a lack of HR luck, which for the first 30 hours in this tourney, was most certainly confirmed.

I did finish strong, but still have mixed feelings about it. I like the consistent drops, particularly of rare rings, but I prefer LK overall. Quality of charms/jewels/rares seem better there, although there is no real reason for it.

Looking forward to the final round...

Grape

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks all for your results PMs, good job! :)

And yea, it's still good to drop me a PM even when you wrote here you didn't run/got no scores. I prefer to be able to squeeze the results from one source (my inbox) during one short Excel session.

If I have it right, I still need results/note from:
@sir_cyclops
@Jocular

I'll post results tomorrow in any case.

@Grape - I forgot to count and submit my score before i left on a 7 day trip. I'm assuming i need to forfeit this round? I wont have a way to submit until i get back next wednesday
Okay - you are allowed to submit your score late then. If it happens to be a top 8 score, I'd really prefer for us all to know it ASAP, meaning before round 3 starts in this case. Have a nice trip :)

sir_cyclops

Diabloii.Net Member
After being out of commission for a week, I wasn't able to completely finish the set. I did around 17 hours, I think. I stopped tracking exactly yesterday since it wasn't going to be possible to finish. Would have loved a better score since I did surprisingly well in the first round, but ce la vie. Pm'd grape.

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes, but weren't you playing relax this time ?
Well... yes. I'm definitely not coming out tired from this second round. It wasn't super exciting round either. Such is Travincal, too repetitive, although farming is solid.

Hutton

Diabloii.Net Member
So, as I mentioned- Gladys has reinvented herself for Round 3.

Why throw a javelin when you can launch it from a bow?

Gladys LCS.jpg

Gear:
Faith.jpg
45 IAS Tiara
Fortitude Dusk Shroud
Nosferatu's Coil
Laying of Hands
Highlord's Wrath
Aldur's Boots
20/238 Ravenfrost
AR/Mana Leech/LR Rare Ring

Switch:
Harmony

Merc (Might):
Reaper's (Shael)
Andariel's
e-bug Fortitude Sacred

Inventory:
Sharp Grand Charm
Grand Charm
Required Level: 21
Fingerprint: 0x426aa8e2
Item Level: 85
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+7 to Maximum Damage
+56 to Attack Rating

Sharp Large Charm of Life
Large Charm
Fingerprint: 0x3aa1f992
Item Level: 80
+6 to Maximum Damage
+29 to Attack Rating
+10 to Life

Sharp Grand Charm of Dexterity
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0xe91f9a89
Item Level: 81
+9 to Maximum Damage
+49 to Attack Rating
+6 to Dexterity

Sharp Grand Charm
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0xa95382c1
+9 to Maximum Damage
+76 to Attack Rating

Fine Small Charm
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x1cd0c648
+3 to Maximum Damage
+13 to Attack Rating

Fine Small Charm
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xd93e28cb
+3 to Maximum Damage
+13 to Attack Rating

Ruby Small Charm of Inertia
Small Charm
Required Level: 32
Fingerprint: 0x88b9718d
+3% Faster Run/Walk
Fire Resist +11%

Fine Small Charm of Winter
Small Charm
Required Level: 38
Fingerprint: 0x9d7733f
+3 to Maximum Damage
+10 to Attack Rating
Adds 5 - 8 Cold Damage Over 1 Secs (25 Frames)

Steel Grand Charm of Inertia
Grand Charm
Required Level: 41
Fingerprint: 0x7d3c9769
+7% Faster Run/Walk
+126 to Attack Rating

Sharp Large Charm of Inertia
Large Charm
Fingerprint: 0xa8a3d701
+5% Faster Run/Walk
+6 to Maximum Damage
+35 to Attack Rating

Fine Large Charm of Sustenance
Large Charm
Required Level: 34
Fingerprint: 0x8d262cbd
+2 to Maximum Damage
+19 to Attack Rating
+22 to Life

Fine Small Charm of Shock
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x9d683f04
+2 to Maximum Damage
+11 to Attack Rating
Adds 1 - 3 Lightning Damage

Iron Small Charm of Inertia
Small Charm
Required Level: 31
Fingerprint: 0xbf42a233
Item Level: **
+3% Faster Run/Walk
+21 to Attack Rating

Fine Small Charm
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xb140352f
Item Level: 57
+3 to Maximum Damage
+19 to Attack Rating

Fine Small Charm of Flame
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x7615c2d
+2 to Maximum Damage
+18 to Attack Rating
Adds 1 - 2 Fire Damage

Fine Grand Charm of Frost
Grand Charm
Required Level: 16
Fingerprint: 0x6b5cd19e
+4 to Maximum Damage
+26 to Attack Rating
Adds 1 - 2 Cold Damage Over 1 Secs (25 Frames)

Sharp Grand Charm of Greed
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x2d3a36a5
+10 to Maximum Damage
+72 to Attack Rating
10% Extra Gold from Monsters

Fine Small Charm of Shock
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x1b24ef73
+2 to Maximum Damage
+16 to Attack Rating
Adds 1 - 3 Lightning Damage

Fine Small Charm
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x83360d74
+3 to Maximum Damage
+11 to Attack Rating

She will be running CS, and maybe The Pit if I fancy a change. Not super competitive by any means, but a very enjoyable character to play.

Once I get the runes for Enigma (still quite a way off) she'll drop Fortitude for it and run dual Spirits on switch for teleporting.

TheGuardianXXXIII

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks all for your results PMs, good job! :)

And yea, it's still good to drop me a PM even when you wrote here you didn't run/got no scores. I prefer to be able to squeeze the results from one source (my inbox) during one short Excel session.

If I have it right, I still need results/note from:
@sir_cyclops
@Jocular

I'll post results tomorrow in any case.

Okay - you are allowed to submit your score late then. If it happens to be a top 8 score, I'd really prefer for us all to know it ASAP, meaning before round 3 starts in this case. Have a nice trip :)

I had abysmal luck this round for qualifiers, so I doubt i even have a top 25 this time. Didnt even get a full set of qualifiers. Yet i found 2 SoJ a few facets and lots of other goodies

NorthDakota

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, as soon as Infinity becomes an option I'll test it out. After so many years of Diablo it's the first time I see this bug. Barely resisting the urge to try it out sooner. :D
If I'm not mistaken the "swapcasting" bug has only been discovered, or at least widely known, recently. D2 speedrunners started using this glitch only in the past couple years or so. Useful for movement skills like teleport, since it can replace your cast speed animation with your attack speed like you see in the video. It can also be used with charge to change the clunky charge animation to a quicker attack animation, greatly improving the skill's speed. You could think up some pretty hilarious scenarios for this bug though, like assassin wearing enigma, with fanaticism, burst of speed, and some very fast weapons replacing teleport with their attack animation. Or like a frenzy barb swapping out the teleport animation with frenzy...

It can be used in other cases that make damage skills far better as well - for example you can replace the zeal attack animation with another skill's animation, and it will deliver all of the zeal swings in one attack, skipping the zeal animation entirely. It'd probably be worth some testing to figure out if crushing blow functions normally with this.

But it won't always work that way. Take for example strafe - if you try to replace the strafe animation with something like ice arrow (or whatever other regular attack), it will indeed use the ice arrow animation, however your character will be frozen in place for strafe's normal duration and strafe will be going off behind the scenes and function just like normal in every way except appearance. It'd be a pretty beefy quick attack if you could deliver all those arrows in one shot.

There could be many other uses as well that I haven't tested or seen much written on it. I hear that you can swap out ranged javelin amazon attacks for melee attacks and it will still throw the javelin and complete that attack, but not use any javelins. Someone should test it to see if it will apply a melee attack when swapped with a ranged attack animation, like swapping using charged strike, but using the throw animation and seeing if that will apply charged strike at range.

The effect is canceled when you switch weapons or skill though, so that does limit its usefulness partially.

I'm not sure if this bug is forum accepted and I'm not sure it's been discussed at great length so feel free to holler at me if I'm discussing something I shouldn't and I'll remove this. Definitely wandered off topic here..

Last edited:

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
To be fair I probably should have checked with @maxicek before posting the Java vid with the weapon switch glitch, indeed I don’t think it has been discussed around here. (A quick forum search reveals that similar glitches have been discussed and used in PvP and other scenarios though.)

In any case, the bug is completely useless for most kind of runs. At least from an efficiency point of view, once you swap weapons more than once per run, it is not only hard to constantly make it work, but even then it’s slower to use it than just going with FCR. These Shenk runs (which I don’t think I’ll do again ;)) were the first type as did of run for which I thought it could make sense to use it. It is certainly fun to play around with and a nice challenge technically, trying to nail it consistently.

But indeed it should be clarified quickly whether this is fine to use @maxicek?

NorthDakota

Diabloii.Net Member
It's quite easy to pull off in single player once you get some practice. It's practically impossible on bnet. The times I see it being the most useful potentially is teleporting at the beginning of runs (like CS or Baal) on slow casting runners like javazon.

It might not save much time, but given the lengths that folks have gone to save seconds in the holy name of efficiency I'm surprised that folks haven't jumped all over this and it hasn't been completely tested in every scenario and discussed to death. I mean it did have a significant effect for your shenk runs, and that's just a short little jaunt. But it does have wide reaching implications with other skills that could significantly shorten run times, and it's barely been tested aside from some short, playful experiments. Think about gearing - you could drop all FCR gear on attack based characters wearing enigma, in favor of damage/survivability making runs faster and safer. Again it's limited in use but who's to say what it would lead to given the ol' spf treatment.

This is very off topic, though. I'd love to discuss it more and do more testing but definitely want to wait for the ruling.

Last edited:

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
It might not save much time, but given the lengths that folks have gone to save seconds in the holy name of efficiency I'm surprised that folks haven't jumped all over this and it hasn't been completely tested in every scenario and discussed to death.
Admittedly I'm one of those folks and always concluded it wasn't worth it. :) CS is a good example. For Java I normally use 35 IAS attack and 99 FCR teleport switch. 99 FCR Teleport with Java is only one frame slower than the LF attack animation with 35 IAS (12 vs 11 frames). So yes you can save maybe up to 1 second from a ~45-60 second run from teleporting to the CS center with the glitch. But that's a tiny advantage relative to the duration of the run, and you will still need FCR to do the run – because it's not possible (at least not practical for sure) to only teleport using this trick.

The appeal of this bug to me was always to ignore FCR. Like I did for the Shenk thing, just go 55 IAS in case of Java, which then not only increases damage but also mobility. So for that I wanted only one teleporting phase, and moreover short runs, because that's where saving a little amount of time adds up over time.

Even for Shenk running I concluded not using the trick and just going 99 FCR was faster. So I do think it's just a gimmick really. :)

You're very right that Baal is another example where it can be (ab)used. Never used it there but it makes sense. At least FCR can be made obselete for this.

maxicek

Moderator Single Player
When @RTB first released RWM he actually wished he hadn’t as it made a split in the community. I don’t really like any practices that may lead to further division. I also prefer a level playing field when tournaments are played. It shouldn’t be the people who are prepared to exploit the most bugs vs the rest. I don’t like the open the LCS teleport thing for that matter either.

Can I prevent it? No.
Do I like it? No.

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm not sure can LCS teleporting be considered bug of any kind honestly. More like a core game mechanics.

Bugs would be that weapon switch teleporting trick, wsm bug on weapons and such who work entirely different than expected due to mistake in codding.

Switch teleport bug wasn't discussed much because it has no realistic use compared to standard setups normally used. Or, its usage is super limited and unpractical. So, going with normal setup in mind is quite fine and better.

Last edited:

art_vandelay

Diabloii.Net Member
As far as I know from reading old discussions on other forums this bug was known forever and people used it on Bnet to 'farcast' Baal, i.e. using the LF animation to cast CS on Baal from afar and kill him faster that way (and so it also doesn't matter if he moves since you have him namelocked). I guess that would be pretty OP in any kind of PvP scenario. Maybe even downright unfair.

Anyway, due to the frame-perfect nature of this trick they needed 'assistance' to pull it off consistently. Since we here at the SPF don't have and - I guess more importantly - don't want that it's out of the window for us ;)