2019 Spring RFL Sign-up and Running Thread: 2nd Round

ArtOfSenf

Diabloii.Net Member
Relax and let the luck drive your ride. That's the only way to have a winning chance. Only thing player can do is actually farm items along the way.
That's one of the best advices you can give to anyone running anything. It's what I tell myself since my Grail drops gone shit after a year of grinding.
Enjoy the ride, not the distance to your destination.

PhineasB

Diabloii.Net Member
@Luhkoh My experience matches what @Pb_pal said on the Pit novamancer. I was focused on XP with 99er, but I think similar considerations apply. I rolled maps quite a bit and found that short teleport from WP and linear map are very important. Even if you find great map on those fronts, if you don't consistently get 3 boss packs on level 2, I'd consider rerolling unless density on a compact level 1 is really solid. And I lost only two Insight IGs, one to necro's death and the other due to I-don't-know-what. And that's over lots of runs from ~lvl 82 to 98.

In other news, I have a little more than 2 hours to finish the set, so should get there by Thursday. Also, if anyone needs an extra Cathan's Rule, lemme know. There were a few spare ones lying around my barb's Trav map:
Trav (Green Battle Staffs).jpg

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
@Luhkoh My experience matches what @Pb_pal said on the Pit novamancer. I was focused on XP with 99er, but I think similar considerations apply. I rolled maps quite a bit and found that short teleport from WP and linear map are very important. Even if you find great map on those fronts, if you don't consistently get 3 boss packs on level 2, I'd consider rerolling unless density on a compact level 1 is really solid. And I lost only two Insight IGs, one to necro's death and the other due to I-don't-know-what. And that's over lots of runs from ~lvl 82 to 98.
Is the 3 boss thingy on level 2 that important in the light of the RFL? I thought boss packs aren't more likely to drop runes. Or do you mean overall, for xp purposes and also because it somewhat dictates your monster density on level 2?

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
I think main reason for Pit running is to have a shot at juicy S&Us on the side, and for that boss packs are important of course.

In terms of RF efficiency, best Pit strategy I found was to go for those nest/camp areas only. Ideally with one Tamoe camp on the way to Pit entrance, and 2 camp areas close to the entrance in first Pit level. If you have lots of bosses in those – perfect. Until AS was discovered, I ran this a bit with Java last year and got to 170 kills/minute range. Just cleared those 3 nests and then immediately started the next run.

It's a weird half-assed approach though, in particular with low MF character. Also while Pit can drop up to Zod, most Tamoe kills (~30% of overall number) can only drop up to Lo. Which however is very likely a top 5 rune in most cases... Still, to be honest by now I'd just go for Pit if caring a little less about runes and indeed wanting those boss packs/S&Us. PN Necro with solid MF seems ideal in that case.

Luhkoh

Diabloii.Net Member
@T72on1 Bosses are slightly more likely to drop runes than a regular monsters (less likely than a regular wraith), but you're right they're pretty irrelevant for RF. As ffs guessed, I'm just hoping for a nice rf/mf/exp combo that I'll keep running with the necro even after rfl :) And i don't have a significantly better round 3 characters anyway since I'd rather not use blizz sorc for it.

PhineasB

Diabloii.Net Member
Is the 3 boss thingy on level 2 that important in the light of the RFL? I thought boss packs aren't more likely to drop runes. Or do you mean overall, for xp purposes and also because it somewhat dictates your monster density on level 2?
As @Luhkoh said, bosses don't drop runes at much higher rate, but three bosses in level 2 means good density. So for mix of S/U and runes (and XP), it's important. I assume folks running the Pit aren't focused on rune efficiency at expense of all else, otherwise they wouldn't be running the Pit ;)

(I appreciate and enjoy reading all the theory crafting and testing around most efficient rune finding. But, as my participation history with untwinked 99ers shows, I generally don't focus on highest rune efficiency . . . )

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
Recorded some gameplay with CS running 200 FCR FB/Meteor Sorc, for those interested in that approach. Roughly 175 kills/minute on P7, best CS option I've tried so far.

Don't have great Fire Sorc FCR gear unfortunately. Something like 3/20 or 2/20/stat/res circlet with 2/15+ ammy could help, and with good resists could even allow use of FB Ormus. Against regular Storm Casters it doesn't really matter, but I imagine stuff like that would help with speeding up champion/boss pack fights enough to make a difference.

Haven't tested P5 yet. Could be better with my gear, but in any case I won't get close enough to AS it seems.

CaseyJones

Diabloii.Net Member
Fun vid...makes me want to play a sorc. Next year maybe...going to be AS with an untwinked javazon for my round 3. Not anywhere near that efficiency level...all up to a favorable RNG for me.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Just wondering: both for CS and for AS, you never kill anything but the Ghost type monters, even when it's a large group? Not counting any casualties from collateral damage, that is ;).

sir_cyclops

Diabloii.Net Member
Just wondering: both for CS and for AS, you never kill anything but the Ghost type monters, even when it's a large group? Not counting any casualties from collateral damage, that is ;).
Did you watch gripps AS vid? He killed a few very large mobs. He build his round 3 AS fire sorc for 2 shotting all non-ghosts.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes I watched videos from Gripphon and ffs. Just wondering if it's really not worth it to kill bigger packs, but it is worth it to stop at 2 - 3 ghosts. It probably is, knowing but of them and their high quality level of testing on efficiency.

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
I definitely kill non-ghosts in AS with Java. In CS with FB Sorc I don't because there are mostly FIs and I don’t have a lot of -EFR with my setup. Different again with e.g. Blizzy, but the strength of FB Sorc is the ability to focus them down so quickly.

sir_cyclops

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes I watched videos from Gripphon and ffs. Just wondering if it's really not worth it to kill bigger packs, but it is worth it to stop at 2 - 3 ghosts. It probably is, knowing but of them and their high quality level of testing on efficiency.
Yeah, I also noticed ffs stopping for 3 ghost packs. I am pretty sure I saw discussion about the value of it being worth it or not. It's probably really close since, as you mention, it would be about the same as killing 9 normal monsters.

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
If build can kill fast, then it's worth to kill bigger groups of monsters. Otherwise focus on the ghosts and everything else is only addition, although not irrelevant additions. I count on additions with Blizzy for CS and more focusing on the seal itself on a map with bigger tendency to spawn more bosspacks in that area.

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
As for minimum number of ghosts to go for: Easiest way to approach the question IMO is to look at kills per second.

For example in the above FB Sorc runs, it's around 175/60, so about 2.91 kills per second. One ghost being worth 3.59 kills on P7 means that if I lose more than 1.25 seconds by killing one single ghost only, it's inefficient to do it. (Though I still make bad decisions in that regard, mild form of OCD perhaps. :rolleyes:) I normally do target 2+ ghosts in both AS and CS because it's worth it based on kills per second.

Same principle applies to non-ghosts of course. General rule for any type of run is that the shorter the runs, the better it is to skip monsters when in doubt.

PhineasB

Diabloii.Net Member
Set finished and results sent :)

I woke up early and couldn’t fall back to sleep. So after finishing up a few work-related items with deadlines for today, I still had a chunk of time for Trav runs before needing to leave for work, and then finished the set up this evening.

I had fun, which is what matters most, and Barb made it nearly 3/5 to 94 from the set, which was quite nice. No Highlord’s/Mara’s/Metalgrid, but the non-qualifiers were very solid.

Top five non-qualifiers were: Wisp Projector, the Barb’s second fire resist RJoF that went into his 1os CoA for the merc in place of Kira’s and was used from 9-hour mark through the end of the set (after remembering I had thought about doing that with the first RJoF), a 5/5 lightning RBF, and these two rare rings:
Code:
Bone Coil
Ring
Required Level: 46
Fingerprint: 0x331514c7
Item Level: 85
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+27 to Attack Rating
4% Mana stolen per hit
4% Life stolen per hit
+4 to Dexterity
+50 to Mana
Lightning Resist +30%

Death Hold
Ring
Required Level: 51
Fingerprint: 0x185d501f
Item Level: 85
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+10% Faster Cast Rate
+7 to Minimum Damage
+38 to Attack Rating
5% Mana stolen per hit
Fire Resist +10%
Poison Resist +26%
Other notable finds were the [email protected] Kira’s, a 50 MF War Traveler within last 15 minutes of set as his first alternative to Goblin Toe (and which is only my second my second perfect MF roll pair overall), a 250/19 Ravefrost, an upgrade for SoE (with pDiamond and Ko stashed and needing Lem to up), quite a few resist/life or FCR SCs, and a Steel (128) GC of Strength.

I also forgot to mention in prior update that he got an Arreat’s within first hour. It was lower roll (3LL), but he wore it for the rest of the set after muling off the prior one due to limited stash space. He also picked up a second Wizardspike that will allow 105 FCR for the Baal runs to come :D

Except for Kira’s, all of the above are stashed, with the cube mostly full. So he will have to cull his stash and inventory, which are now pretty crammed (only 6 free squares in the backpack with the cube full). The limitation on no extended stash continues to be quite interesting.

Good luck to everyone who is still finishing up a set!

Last edited:

Grape

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the result PMs so far, keep em coming!

And as always, good luck to those still running! (Me included!) *complains*