2019 Spring RFL Sign-up and Running Thread: 2nd Round

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
Some people have life while others have runes. Runes are better.

Anyway, my method of running is by counting how many items have I put in gomule stash. I decided to never farm less than 100 per day when I actually run, usually going for 150, sometimes for 200. When I get to 150, I call it a day for example. This focuses on farming rather than on qualifiers and gives a little goal every day to achieve. Might make 20h much easier to do since sense of accomplishment is given every day. I wouldn't be able to do 2 sets without this method because Travincal is just a boring target, unless one focuses on pure farming instead where Travincal shines.

BTW I compared barb and sorc yet again and yet again arrived to conclusion they are completely equal from theoretical point of view, although it's easier to maintain the speed with sorc than with barb. He simply has to work much more.

Last edited:

ArtOfSenf

Diabloii.Net Member
Some people have life while others have runes. Runes are better.

Anyway, my method of running is by counting how many items have I put in gomule stash. I decided to never farm less than 100 per day when I actually run, usually going for 150, sometimes for 200. When I get to 150, I call it a day for example. This focuses on farming rather than on qualifiers and gives a little goal every day to achieve. Might make 20h much easier to do since sense of accomplishment is given every day. I wouldn't be able to do 2 sets without this method because Travincal is just a boring target, unless one focuses on pure farming instead where Travincal shines.

BTW I compared barb and sorc yet again and yet again arrived to conclusion they are completely equal from theoretical point of view, although it's easier to maintain the speed with sorc than with barb. He simply has to work much more.
That's the kind of stuff that keeps me motivated during extenfed MF runs, mostly in AT. I established a ruleset for what kind of items and combined drops per run gives how many points and compare these to the run counter to find out my ratio over a period of hours. Really helps me staying focused and motivated. Sometimes I will add rewards to scores.
I.e. I will "allow" me to pour another drink for a certain score or go outside on the balcony to take a little breath of my green helper.

May be a lil crazy but that's the deal with the grind.

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Member
IIRC you're a research fellow right? When I was, I remember I used to think that's a real job... Don't fool yourself. :p
I mean, I'm a PhD, so technically I'm a student :p Unfortunately I don't get paid by the hour, then I'd be cruising in my Lamborghini.

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
@ffs you have nopickup turned on right?
I do. Still happens that I unintentionally pick things up while horking though.

Barb is awesome, but as Gripp said he's much more exhausting to play in general. One reason for me is extended teleport when going back to WP. I don't use it with Sorc because I found that it provides no time advantage vis-à-vis being able to use Telekinesis as demonstrated earlier. With Barb however, no doubt using it saves time, and it's not the most relaxing technique.

Another reason is that blind spots to check for drops can change in those runs where corpses are in different locations than usual. Really essential to find a combination of "council spawning + landing location + WW path" that makes runs identical as much as humanly possible, in order to reduce divergent runs to an absolute minimum. With Sorc on the other hand it's easier to do, and you just stand there, cast your stuff and pick up those Chams, all while thinking about what to make for dinner or watching a movie or something... :rolleyes:

Friiser

Diabloii.Net Member
I think I have about 3 hours in so far. Work, RL, the itch to do some serious spring cleaning really puts a damper on kickin' the council's collaborative butt for 17 more hours before this weekend rolls around.

art_vandelay

Diabloii.Net Member
Started the second set today... 0 qualifiers in 3 hours so far :(

My only comfort is that I didn't waste a socket quest on the 10/29 Andariel's from the first set! :rolleyes:

LongingForDeath

Diabloii.Net Member
Completed my first batch with the sorc. Running behind schedule, so I'll only do two batches, not my planned three. Next one will be with my Barbarian, starting tomorrow.

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
Sometimes I will add rewards to scores.
I.e. I will "allow" me to pour another drink for a certain score or go outside on the balcony to take a little breath of my green helper
That's an interesting method. Diablo is kind enough to give you a chance to take a breath, and I thought he is the evil guy! Even demons have feelings :)

I always secretly hope to find something incredible. Positive attitude, false hope giving etc.

With Sorc on the other hand it's easier to do, and you just stand there, cast your stuff and pick up those Chams, all while thinking about what to make for dinner or watching a movie or something... :rolleyes:
Sounds very precise. Except for the dinner part. It is quite clear we, RFL enthusiasts, eat runes for dinner. No other choice.

Ditto. One set at most for me.
Same here. I'm on pace to finish on time though, so there's that!
To be honest, I also wouldn't do the second set if I found two Chams like you guys. Congratz!

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm at about 2 hours in, real running time. 5 hours total, counting muling, crafting and shopping/gambling for bases I don't have racks for yet.

Today has been a dreadful day. Made roast leg of lamb, which is traditional easter food in Norway. That took 5 hours, watching the thermometer and playing Hearthstone on the cell. Terrible.

Then the old folks came for dinner, plus the widower of my wife's old lady. Had to drink a bunch of wine. Which is always aweful.

When they left, it was only about an hour left until this weeks episode of GoT aired (rerun, but living in Europe, I don't have the discipline to start watching at 03:00 AM). Of course I was obligated to watch.

Then I was commanded by my auxiliary brain to go to bed with my wife. That took over an hour.

BUT! Now I am ready. Risen from the bed, just like that hippie from Nazareth. 12 minutes left of the day, and I will spend them ALL running Travincal :D

EDIT; And on the first run, the D2 RNG god rewards me for doing right by my wife:
Screenshot116.jpg

Craft jewel and the best utility helm in the history of D2. Not showing: GC and SC.

Last edited:

Jocular

Diabloii.Net Member
:eek:

Got a character in mind to utilize it?

I've always wanted to find a circlet with 20fcr/30frw/10fhr and pretend I have an 08 Valk :p

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
Plenty of sorcs waiting. After the dual wield thing got banned, I've been looking for these. 200fcr is no longer possible, but Valk Wing makes up for it. Kinda,

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
I managed to do a bit less than 2 hours yesterday, so now I'm past halfway. I should be able to complete one set, although it still will be tight, with probably only some 2.5 hours of playing on Thursday as remaining playing time this week.

Before yesterday, I got my average run time as low as 23.067, so I had good hopes to get below 23s for the first time ever. Alas, yesterday for some reason the runs were a lot harder than usual. Especially for my merc, who died 5 times in total. More than he had died in the 9.5 hours before yesterday. Still not sure what was the cause. Anyway, I'm now at 23.093 or so, so I still hope to get below that 23s at some point.

Dropwise most noteworthy non-qualifiers were Hotspur, my third facet (a cold one, after the poison and lighting I found earlier) and some more unique rings and amulets. Bul-Kathos' being the best one. It's silly how much jewelry the Council drops, even with some 165% mf.