2018 Spring RFL Sign-Up and Running Thread: Grande Finale

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Member
It isn't actually time (although most of my spare time will be spent exploring New Zealand and Australia :p), bur rather that won't have my computer with me and don't intend to buy one. I may purchase a crappy laptop for D2, but that is the most ;)

Grape

Diabloii.Net Member
It isn't actually time (although most of my spare time will be spent exploring New Zealand and Australia :p), bur rather that won't have my computer with me and don't intend to buy one. I may purchase a crappy laptop for D2, but that is the most ;)
Pursuing a PhD without a personal computer? Dude, look, even Plato did have a laptop during his Academy years:
Plato.jpg

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
tied to map seed? Either it's exceedingly rare to get a map without specific monster types or it's impossible because I've never noticed such a thing or ever seen discussion of this

NanoMist

Diabloii.Net Member
That made me do a double take... Hadn't realized AS mobs couldn't drop Zod, but GoMule agrees... Sad face...
This is the main reason I ruled out Arcane, but after taking a look at the amount of ghosts there, I have to say I really underestimated Arcane. I'd still recommend a caster here, the difference in clear speed is too great.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Never noticed fixed monster spawns in Act 5, nor have I seen any discussion about it iirc.

I'm at some 9.5 hours. Yesterday's one hour run was uneventful, so I switched to my 99er Paladin for a while. I should be able to cross the 10 hour mark this afternoon.

Yng

Diabloii.Net Member
I pretty much assumed the same as the other two but to be fair I haven’t (compared to other areas) ran it extensively and certainly never tried to roll a map with producing only one guest monster in mind so I can’t say for certain. Perhaps we need a long term rune finding tournament with multiple areas in mind to see what monster per minute efficiency people can get at different areas that spawn the better rune drop mobs. ;)

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
This is the main reason I ruled out Arcane, but after taking a look at the amount of ghosts there, I have to say I really underestimated Arcane. I'd still recommend a caster here, the difference in clear speed is too great.
As @zemaj said with casters it's difficult to avoid drops going to waste when killing monsters outside the paths areas. To me Dream builds seem good for the task, they kill extremely fast on P7 and you can telestomp and focus down the ghosts quickly with a fast tele switch. That being said, while having my morning coffee I had another look at the recording I took, and realized I did lose quite a few drops because of the voids here and there. :) So yeah, even with melee it's a problem, at least much more so than in CS. In terms of best efficiency I think AS is not really a serious option, but it's definitely fun to play those characters.

To be honest though, still not sure CS is the clear-cut best option either as seems to be the general assumption. It's not easy to outperform for sure, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if a very good Pit runner on a good map could do it. Again thinking about Javazon in particular. The potential is definitely there, as shown by @Grape winning the areas round last year with her quite convincingly.

NanoMist

Diabloii.Net Member
I should mention certain casters will have less issues with losing drops, and even less so when fighting on the better paths. I'd show a demo, but I don't want to respec out of Blizzard while I'm still running her. Blizzard was a decent option in the 1 run that I tested, but there should be faster builds. Still, no chance of Zod though..

I remember in the 2017 RFL that Pits was the first area I tested, and I counted by video there too. CS was the winner for me, and Gripphon also came to the same conclusion, but I encourage everyone to find there own results. I don't remember the particular numbers/stats, but it's somewhere in the 2017 RFL Round 1 running thread. Pits is a competitive area for sure, there isn't some big gap in efficiency between these 2 areas.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Somebody stole the monsters in my CS map :(. Suddenly it went from very dense to quite meh today. Will have to try again next time.

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
@T72on1 Sorry mate, you can have them back for the weekend, but I need them again Monday evening

@ffs @NanoMist @zemaj perhaps a Fissiure druid could work well as a caster for Arcane Sanctuary. Or do fissure go outside the "floor" and possibly kill monsters in space?

Grape

Diabloii.Net Member
16 hours done. I will be done by this weekend. Im going to start another set, which most likely won't be a full one until HRs start raining... only need to get to level 99 ;)

wait, what? I'm fairly sure that guest spawns are directly tied to mapseed. At least, for the WSKing tourney I rolled one that never had dolls... Given that's not a 100% certainty as I haven't done millions of runs on that map, but certainly thousands...
Anyone have info on this?
Did you run the WSK levels only?

Undead Stygian Dolls can spawn in Throne of Destruction, but not in any of the WSK levels.

BKC

Diabloii.Net Member
7 hours in im still dry... (and still doing stuff on /p7 :))
did find this though!

dual leech ring.jpg

Reactions: ffs

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
Alright, took a little break from Necro runs and did some Pit Javazon tests. Promising start I have to say!

In the initial 10 minutes of running after rolling the kind of map I was looking for, she was averaging around ~150 monsters killed per minute (counted in recording). Highest was ~180, lowest ~125. Typical run was from ~135 to ~170. Pretty sure that can be improved though.

Map layout I was looking for: Two "nests" in Pits close to the entrance and close to each other, plus a nest on the way to Pits entrance. The idea is to only go for those big groups, killing them in one or two shots and moving on. Figured it's best to only go for the nests because I found teleporting through Pits means efficiency decreases quickly given the varying density throughout lvl 1. Though I haven't tested clearing the nests and heading straight to lvl 2, will compare that also.

Disclaimer: Weird runs incoming.

As always, excuse the screw-ups. :) The map can be improved quite a bit still with better density in the Pit nests. While the second nest is OK, the first nets is poorly populated most of the time. So yeah, the layout is pretty much exactly what I was going for, but since it didn't take long to roll I think I'll try to get a better one with higher density.

Caveat: Tamoe Highland mobs cannot drop the highest runes (I believe mostly up to Lo, and one mob type up to Sur), so that's something to bear in mind overall.

NanoMist

Diabloii.Net Member
@ffs - Nice work! Although it's harder to compare numbers when a good portion of them come from Tamoe Highland mobs that don't drop the highest runes. Any idea what pure Pit runs can do? I think Grip and I topped out at 130 per minute, but we didn't test that far.