Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

2018 Spring RFL Sign-Up and Running Thread: Grande Finale

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Grape, May 4, 2018.

1. drmalawi

drmalawi IncGamers Member

Well at the lower end of the score-spectra, I can reveal that I will run Chaos with Light sorc (Crescent moon, Griffons) and Hammerdin.
    Hard part will be not to waste time killing big D :(

2. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

I was planning to finally make enigma + infinity + whatever for my 1.13 fissure drood and try AT but I'm actually busy enough for the next few weeks with other stuff that I think I'll just keep running council ~2 hours a week with my 1.07 necro lol.

Sorry!

DiabloTwoinDC, ffs and drmalawi like this.
  3. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Javazon and/or Poison Necro. Both in Pits.

I still need to roll maps for them though. And for the Javazon decide to weapon swap between CtA and Wizardspike on switch, or to go for the 99% fcr breakpoint with CtA equiped. Which would mean a lot of gear sacrifices, since I don't have Griffon's. I also would have wanted to have some practice runs under my belt. I hope I'll have time for those tomorrow evening, but chances are real I'll go in unprepared. Not really top 3 player worthy there I'm afraid :(.

After failing miserably with my Blizz Sorc in CS last year, I swore I wouldn't do that area again for the RFL. And I won't. Or, with all the fuss (again) about CS being best area to run because of the finger mage type monsters, maybe ... just maybe.

4. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

I will probably do multiple batches. One will be a Lower Kurast with my untwinked 99er windy, because I need to do that anyway... Another will be Caessa (strafe/FA), probably Eldritch + something else. I will also do a batch of Arcane Sanctuary/Tombs, but I haven't decided on a character yet... It will be a sorc, either Habacalva or a new build.

5. drmalawi

@Kitteh Lower Kurast? I thought the rules stated that only drops from monsters (non cows, non councils members) counted? Are you gonna hope trash monsters drop some qualifiers? :)

Kitteh likes this.
  6. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

Pits with the Venomancer for me. Same gear as last round, except with Spirit switched in on the main instead of Homunculus to reach the next breakpoint. I just have to roll a map now...

T72on1 likes this.
  7. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

Oh **** yes. You and your damned technicalities :rolleyes:

Scratch LK then :p

8. NanoMist

NanoMist IncGamers Member

Running Bliz in the CS, but with slightly different gear this time around.

Nightwing's w/ Facet
    HoTo
    Enigma
    Spirit
    Mara's
    FCR/Res/Mana ring
    SoJ
    Dracs
    Arach
    Aldur's Boot
    7 Cold Skillers

Merc
    Reaper's
    Fortitude
    Andariel

No Delirium this time. Confuse is safer, but I rather be able to pull more monsters through a blizzard.
    I didn't have a +10 LPK Dracs, but a +9 will do. +23 Total with Enigma for some nice life recovery.
    Only fire res is maxed, but that's all I really needed in CS.

The CS map of my WSK Sorc has the better Vizier layout, so I'll be running that map.

PhineasB and T72on1 like this.
  9. DaveW

DaveW IncGamers Member

@NanoMist, no CtA switch? Dracs is interesting to say the least. Why not Bloodfist and 1 FHR SC for the 86 BP instead?

10. NanoMist

CTA for sure, that's a given. I wore Bloodfist in the previous RFL, but I feel 60% FHR was enough for me.

11. PhineasB

PhineasB IncGamers Member

@NanoMist - curious about the Reaper's. Is blizz strong enough on p7 without Infinity that the extra (?) from Reaper's helps take down (?) or is the decrepify helpful for targeting monsters with blizz/increasing damage as they move slowly? I had thought about testing Reaper's for my pally (instead of Insight), but hadn't gotten around to it. Your choice here has piqued my interest though.

12. Yng

Yng IncGamers Member

@PhineasB Only reason I can think of to use RT on Blizz in CS is for De Seis kills and I’d imagine he be skipping that for rune farming?

It also goes against his goal to pull mobs through Blizzard since it slows, it’s similar to the problem with HF as the slow stops them from getting hit by the bulk of the shards.

At any rate, Insight is nice.

T72on1 and PhineasB like this.
  13. drmalawi

Are you running CS on p7? I was thinking p3 :p

14. PhineasB

PhineasB IncGamers Member

Yes, I had been thinking of using Reaper's because I was taking on de Seis each run. I may test it for sake of argument, though I think loss of Insight will be too annoying (flashing redemption is an extra thing to keep track of).

But 98-99 might be worth it due to lower monster hp (assuming p1/p7), targeting only seal bosses, and quicker runs generally making Insight maybe less valuable.

15. Yng

Yng IncGamers Member

Yea, probably so for P1 Seals/P7 Diablo. Can’t imagine Hdin killing Diablo very fast either and RT/Guillaume’s would help with that.

But why no Nihlathak? :D

16. NanoMist

Infinity doesn't add much to killing power, other than breaking some cold immune bosses from time to time. My sorc has 1.2k mana with lvl 20 warmth, so I don't have mana issues. Reaper's Toll is mainly to keep the merc alive and slow down dangerous mobs. Decrep has a small radius, and I usually drop a Blizzard where the merc is fighting, so it doesn't affect the monsters I'm trying to draw in.

Edit: @PhineasB - I'd stick with Insight if mana becomes an annoying upkeep. Paladins don't have the benefit of warmth afterall.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    T72on1 likes this.
  17. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Hmmm, okay ... from a little testing, seems like Pitnecro and javazon are out, so yeah ... CS here I come with my Blizzard Sorc anyway.

I just couldn't get into the necro and the javazon. Javazon feels so clunky with the constant switching between Javelin switch and caster switch. Necro I couldn't get into the flow like I did with Cows. Run times were terrible, despite good maps on both.

I actually enjoyed CS this time around. After a while that is. Boy I was rusty at first. Died two times, which set back my xp quite a lot. Still I was surprised to see how fast xp gain was at level 93. Well, not surprised I guess. I just forgot how fast it goes.

@NanoMist Your setup definitely is interesting. I started out with the following:

Nightwing's
    DFathom with Ist
    CoH
    35% Spirit
    Mara's @25
    fcr/Res/Mana ring
    BKWB
    Trang's gloves
    Arach
    War Travelers
    7 Cold Skillers + Gheed's

CtA switch

Merc
    Insight
    Fortitude
    Andariel

After a few runs it became clear however that having some LPK would actually be nice, since I needed to pot a lot. I guess that's what I did with Neverland, but now it didn't feel right. So I changed the CoH for Enigma, the War Travelers for Aldur's boots and the rare ring with a fcr/all res/fire res. After a few runs I also switched Nightwing's to the usual Ist'ed Shako for more life and mf. I didn't see a noticeable difference in killing speed with the Nightwing's.

This setup worked really well. More LPK would be better at times I guess, but most of the times I was fine. So I don't think I'll need it once I really get the hang of the runs again. Merc survived just fine, although I had to feed him a full rejuv from time to time. I should test out Reaper's probably. I have some 950 mana after BO iirc, which might be enough to manage without Insight.

Actually felt good to be at CS again. Last year I had all those CS runs under my sleeve with Neverland already, so I was probably bored of those by then. This time it felt nostalgic, so that is nice.

So what run times do the other CS runners have, or aim for? What is your killing strategy?

I think my run times were at 1:45 or so, but I haven't really paid attention. I was doing full clears of CS (no De Seis or Diablo), but only killed finger mage type monsters if 3+ and other large packs. Sometimes I stopped for finger mage type monsters in RoF too, but not often. I think last year I also stopped for boss packs in RoF, but so far I haven't bothered. O yes, I rolled a map with forked layout for Vizier and for Infector. Especially the former is important probably, but since I also kill the Infector pack, I decided to roll the best option there as well.

Two more days before the start of the last round. Hype !!! I'll only start on Saturday on Sunday though.

18. BKC

BKC IncGamers Member

since my sorc is only able to run areas safely i venture into this third round... i hope to be the outsider and i think 7x zod (one for every day of the week) would be a nice new item find thread right?

---------------------------
    Grape
    drmalawi
    Kitteh
    maxicek
    T72on1
    Brak
    Yng
    ffs
    Shuffleblast
    PhineasB
    NanoMist
    DaveW
    Pb_pal
    Friiser
    Smittyphi
    BKC
    ----------------------------

T72on1 likes this.
  19. ffs

ffs IncGamers Member

@NanoMist That is an interesting Blizzard setup for sure. :) LPK is good indeed, but is the Reaper's really worth it with max Warmth? Especially considering DeSeis is skipped, which is where the Merc usually gets into trouble. I'd automatically spend these points on Static or higher Blizzard damage for CS runs and use Insight Merc.

20. NanoMist

@T72on1 - Good to see you back in the groove and trying an Enigma setup. LPK is a convenience I value when running this many runs, especially in the CS where getting hit is inevitable. Not needing to manage health potions or swap to Phoenix shield is a plus. Of course I have rejuvs for the scary parts, but those moments aren't frequent. Along with Reaper's, I can play more aggressively with positioning my sorc and trying to maximize the amount of monsters hit by each blizzard. I'll take more hits here and there, but I know I can recover that life.

I only have times from the previous RFL- about 1 minute flat per run targeting Storm Casters/Large Mobs and only running Vizier seal. Without Death's Fathom, Infector seal felt too slow to be worth it. IIRC, the entire Infector boss pack is worth 3-4 Storm Casters in terms of rune potential. If Infector seal comes with other large mobs then it should be worth it.

@ffs - I didn't clarify in the setup, but that lvl 20 warmth is after +skills. I only dumped 6 remaining points into it after Blizzard and Static were taken care of first.